Home

Coon in the attic

Posted By: crossroads

Coon in the attic - 04/19/13 01:01 AM

I have a female coon in the attic with babies that are about 2 weeks old. If I live trap her in the attic will the babies come to her? They have set up camp on the other side of the house about as far from crawl space as they can get. Could it be that easy or am I going joist hopping? Thanks for your replies, Kevin
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/19/13 01:47 AM

That sounds a little young, Kind of depends on what they have to crawl through.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/19/13 01:54 AM

At two weeks, kits are helpless. How do you know their age?

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/19/13 01:54 AM

At two weeks, kits are helpless. How do you know their age?

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/19/13 03:12 AM

I'm just guessing on the age, the noises ramped up about that time. There started to be some vocal sounds about a week ago and I'm not sure if that's just mom talkin or the whole crew.
Posted By: Baxter

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/19/13 05:29 PM

Forget about the trap in the attic.
Find the entrance(s) and put a positive set. Funnel the momma into the trap. After you get her go and get the kids. Seal it up and sell that full clean out.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/19/13 06:15 PM

I have seen additional hole created because of positive sets...........
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/19/13 06:18 PM

If your not into chasing coon in attics and can't remove the kits then just pass on that kinda work . Even if plan A works it's not always going to be that way . Going up in that attic before removing the female will make her move them deep into the guts of that house making the job a true nightmare trying to get to them . The baby's must be removed bottom line
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/19/13 08:27 PM

Okay, I swore I wouldn't respond to anymore of Ryan's ( Pesky's ) posts, after what happened on LT's site. But when a man speaks the truth, he should be acknowledged.

I can only hope that I don't have to do the same thing with Obama.
Posted By: thomasb25

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/19/13 08:58 PM

Set positive traps and then remove the babies if you can't handle it just pass it on to someone else every job is not for you.

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/20/13 12:50 AM

Ill go in if I have to, I was just curious if they would come find mom or not if she is in a trap. Sounds like its better to trap her outside then just go get them. Thanks

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/20/13 12:56 AM

I would go in first. If you trap her and can not get to the young, then what? Turn her loose. Will have a very hard time getting her in a trap again. Just asking.

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/20/13 03:27 AM

Thanks Jim, I've already set the trap this evening so I guess we'll see what happens in the morning. If I can't get to them ill try setting her loose tomorrow night and place a light and radio with hopes that she will move out on her own. Not the best option, but that's where I am at this point. This will be a good learning experience for the future.

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/20/13 04:28 PM

So how'd it go?

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/20/13 11:25 PM

I didn't catch her last night, going to try again tonight. Ill keep ya posted over the next few days.

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/21/13 02:59 AM

Tens bucks your using sardines for bait

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/21/13 06:21 AM

Did she not come out? Did she go out another hole? Good luck.

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/21/13 09:03 AM

Looks like you owe me $10 pesky. I don't think she came out, if she did she was a lot sneakier than normal because nobody heard her. As for the bait, its dog food mixed with canned tuna (oil) and vanilla extract stuffed in a 1 1/2" PVC pipe with 1/2" holes drilled all over. With my luck ill catch her tonight since I'm working graveyard and would like to just go home to bed in the morning. It would be much better to catch her Sunday night as I have Monday off.

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/21/13 05:13 PM

Ok pm me your address

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/21/13 07:18 PM

Lol lets just keep it in the bank, I'm sure ill loose the next bet. Besides, ya just saved me from buying sardines on the future.

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/21/13 08:47 PM

No send me your address I'll ship you one my DP traps I making

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/24/13 06:19 AM

So today was the day, after trapping the mom failed, I ended up chasing her out of the attic and removing the kits. I put flashing on the 4x4 she was climbing to get in and sealed her out. Would have liked to have removed her first, but ill admit that she made it real easy to find the nest. She didn't like being woke up at 8:00 this morning. Thanks for the input. Oh, plan A wold not have worked as the kits eyes hadn't open yet.
Posted By: Dylan Phelps124

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/24/13 10:43 AM

I don't mean to be highjacking this thread but I had someone call me yesterday with a coon in their attic that they caught in a live trap and he had it dispatched but just wanted me too come by and look and see if there was anymore. I'm no ADC worker. I just trap during regular season but people have been calling me like crazy and I have to turn most of them down because I'm not legally licensed but my question was This coon was a younger female and she looked like she had kits but I couldn't find them anywhere up in the attic. Are the kits verbal enough that I should hear them easily? Or did I luck out and she was still carrying them?

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/24/13 02:47 PM

These were pretty verbal, I don't hear well, but was able to hear them from 10' away easy enough.

On anther note, if your going to do this at all you might as well get the license. I don't know about your state but in Oregon it's free after you pass a test. Then you would be legal and be able to write off expenses on your taxes.
Posted By: Dylan Phelps124

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/25/13 02:50 AM

Alright awesome. I'll look into getting a license and see. I managed to get the carcass of that coon and cut it open. Her tits were dry as a bone so I guess I lucked out this time.

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/26/13 03:08 AM

So did you give the kits back?

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/26/13 11:02 PM

No I didn't give them back.

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/26/13 11:52 PM

Hopefully she doesn't come back and rip open your repairs looking for her babies.

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/26/13 11:58 PM

Dylan, you should know that any trapping done on a nuisance basis requires a state-issued license (Class A).

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/27/13 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Dylan Phelps124
I don't mean to be highjacking this thread but I had someone call me yesterday with a coon in their attic that they caught in a live trap and he had it dispatched but just wanted me too come by and look and see if there was anymore. I'm no ADC worker. I just trap during regular season but people have been calling me like crazy and I have to turn most of them down because I'm not legally licensed but my question was This coon was a younger female and she looked like she had kits but I couldn't find them anywhere up in the attic. Are the kits verbal enough that I should hear them easily? Or did I luck out and she was still carrying them?
If I was doing something illegel, I would not tell the world about it on the internet. Unless I just wanted arrested.
Posted By: johnlc

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/27/13 12:42 AM

How is it illegal all he did was look for kits. He didn't trap or dispatch the animal.

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/27/13 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Dylan Phelps124
Alright awesome. I'll look into getting a license and see. I managed to get the carcass of that coon and cut it open. Her tits were dry as a bone so I guess I lucked out this time.
Illegel in Illinois to handle without a license. Unless the home owner has a permit, he also broke the law. Need a permit in Illinois to handle or set a trap even on your own property.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/27/13 01:13 AM

The funny part....you can vote without a license.
Posted By: hvtrapper

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/27/13 09:07 AM

Many, many times in Illinois!

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/27/13 01:34 PM

Originally Posted By: hvtrapper
Many, many times in Illinois!
Mostly in Chicago.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/27/13 07:51 PM

What makes this post so hilarious is that Jim is a retired law enforcement officer from the great state of Illinois. For those of you in Illinois, be glad that he's retired. ( Just kidding, I just saw Jim a couple of weeks ago at the Illinois ADC get-together. Come to think about it, I also met him and his son up in Cleveland a couple of months ago. )

Jim's been telling me that Wisconsin has some kind of doing in Marshfield this year. I'd like to get up there too. I think it's the FTA meeting, right? Kind of funny how Wisconsin gets so many meetings. I think it's the beer.

Re: Coon in the attic - 04/27/13 11:37 PM

Paul; FTA convention is June 27 - 29. WTA 50th is Sept.5 - 7. Both in Marshfield. Come one come all.

wta
© 2024 Trapperman Forums