Home

Squirels with victor rat traps

Posted By: RedboneRunner

Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/05/13 02:57 AM

Anybody have any luck using victor rat snap traps for squirrels? any modifications needed?
Posted By: SteveAlbano

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/05/13 06:12 AM

These guys are into it big time.....

How Brits modify rat traps to catch squirrels
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/05/13 10:25 AM

I have a bilogist friend in Florida was telling me a few years ago about a guy living on an island in a park along a river. One of the ways he sustains himself is to nail Victor rat traps to where the squirrel comes down the tree to eat the bait. He said the guy smeared peanut butter on the treddle.

He said there were rat traps on every tree around his squatters camp.
Posted By: Animals Only

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/05/13 10:46 AM

They work great on red squirrels and smaller. About 50 / 50 on the larger ones. Best to use a weasel box with a 2" hole for the big ones. Gets them right around the neck. With their shoulders outside the box and their head in the trap in the box you have a better chance of holding them. But not always.

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/05/13 01:25 PM

Sweet thanks for the comments. Think imma order some victor m326 with the bigger trigger

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/05/13 01:56 PM

And that is a great website I'm gonna have to do that to my traps when I get them
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/05/13 03:18 PM

Anytime you use a rat trap (jump trap) fasten the trap down with a nail or screw, they work a lot better. Even in the dirt, I push a nail in the ground. All my rat traps have a hole drilled in them, at the end of the springs on the dog side. It stops them from jumping.

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/05/13 04:01 PM

Do you think this makes the trap more effective or stronger in a way?
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/05/13 08:11 PM

when the trap is secure the only thing that moves is the strike bar, much quicker and better hits on each animal, sometimes because of the force of the strike bar and spring the trap is out of position when the trap isn't secured and you get animals that are dead or have a severe headache but aren't in the trap
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/06/13 01:29 AM

These two boards had traps screwed on them and Slid up to the entry hole, the "Red-pine's" and "Grey"s were entering in two holes close to each other. On the left was an AES 4x4x18 cage Trap and on the board to the right was a Pine box with lid and hole, inside was a Victor wooden Rat trap.

This set up yielded 5 piney's and 4 Greys when the Pine squirrels tried the wood box they were Dead on arrival , when the Grey's tried they Got wacked, fell down the roof and expired on the ground, two of the greys were Stunned but not dead when I arrived. The job was in the late fall and the roof was Icy and steeper than it looked so I did the job this way.

I wouldn't Target Grey's with the Victor Rat Trap- if you were trying to 100% dispatch them.

Posted By: Ron Scheller

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/06/13 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper
I wouldn't Target Grey's with the Victor Rat Trap- if you were trying to 100% dispatch them.

Using rat traps for commercial squirrel work (grays) would only set you up for some really bad PR. Not a sensible approach if you intend on building a lasting business.

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/06/13 02:58 AM

Im really liking the box. What would i use for bait in it?

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/06/13 03:42 PM

Anybody else have pictures of success on squirrels with rat traps? laugh
Posted By: TRapper

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/06/13 03:56 PM

i agree with ron again, you are setting yourself up for a PR nightmare if doing it for nuisance wildlife control business purposes
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/06/13 04:09 PM

A lot better ways to treat squirrels that using a Rat trap, IMO !

Scott's traps would be the way I would go...

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/06/13 04:13 PM

I'm not using them for business purposes but I am going to try it for reds at least. I will look at the Scott's trap,
Posted By: warrior

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/06/13 04:15 PM

330 has the idea on the best way to nail greys with a rat trap if you must. The only effective way is to control the strike so that it is a direct blow to the head but there are to many things that can go wrong that it really isn't a good option. Even my preferred 110 magnums have a high percentage of "wigglers".

Re: Squirels with victor rat traps - 03/06/13 04:21 PM

I think this is what I will do. They have the neck guard so they have to go in further, lifted springs for more power, cage so they only enter from the front and if you add a box to this it will be even better
© 2024 Trapperman Forums