Home

ladder safety

Posted By: ritrapper

ladder safety - 02/15/13 12:39 PM

Well,i guess working off a ladder most of my life has made me complacent.Wednesday night I was up on a ladder in a garage with a concrete floor.The bottom of the ladder slipped out and I rode the ladder dowm 12ft.My wrist was/is dislocated,fractured and I tore all the ligaments.It was bent in the shape of an s!I just got home from the hospital and I am awaiting surgery....THIS SUCKS!.....PLEASE BE CAREFUL UP THERE!
Posted By: Robb Russell

Re: ladder safety - 02/15/13 12:46 PM

Yes be careful hope you heal up soon -Robb
Posted By: Getting There

Re: ladder safety - 02/15/13 01:06 PM

Steve, I hope all goes well and get better real soon! It only takes a second
for thing like this to happen.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: ladder safety - 02/15/13 01:11 PM

steeper is better
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: ladder safety - 02/15/13 11:22 PM

Vinke's right. ( We are both a man of few words )
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: ladder safety - 02/16/13 06:48 AM

That sucks I've seen that happen to a darn good framer . Work on ladders along enough it's going to happen or your not working off ladders . Sounds like yours could be worse he only broke both arms . I hope there's people there for ya to help you get threw this .
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: ladder safety - 02/16/13 02:37 PM

Every time I fall, I black out before I hit the ground. Kinda weird, but I kinda prefer it that way.

Re: ladder safety - 02/16/13 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Flick
Every time I fall, I black out before I hit the ground. Kinda weird, but I kinda prefer it that way.

Every time? LOL!

Re: ladder safety - 02/16/13 09:29 PM

Mike ain't lying. The one time that I did hit the ground and knew it, it really sucked. If you don't believe me, ask my wife; her yelling and screaming just made it worse.
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: ladder safety - 02/17/13 05:34 PM

I guess that sounds like I fall on a daily basis. Actually not the case, I can remember 3 times that I fell, and never remember falling. One time everything went black and It seemed to take 10 minutes to hit the ground. I remember wondering if I was dead, where the pain was, etc. Then I hit the driveway and I didn't wonder any more.

Re: ladder safety - 02/17/13 07:27 PM

This is my first time hitting the ground and hopefully my last,because I am messed up bad!Not to sound like im tooting my own horn but I have always thought of myself as pretty tough.This is beating the [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] out of me!I will heal quickly however and I assure everyone I have learned a valuable lesson.

Re: ladder safety - 02/17/13 09:30 PM

I know I make fun of falls because that's easy to do when you've lived through a killer, but the fact is, outside of vehicle accidents, falls are the leading killer in our business. Be careful out there!
Posted By: sgs

Re: ladder safety - 02/18/13 12:13 AM

Quote:
This is beating the [Please excuse my language... I'm an idiot] out of me!I will heal quickly however and I assure everyone I have learned a valuable lesson.

OK, I have to add a little to this.

Steve, I don't know your age but I haven't thought of you as a skipper. Correct me if I'm wrong.

We all like to think of ourselves as indestructible. We're not. From the description of the injury, I'd say this is one you'll feel for the rest of your life. We all heal up but seldom do grown men heal up 100%. You'll adjust to the injury though.

I'm sure you've learned a valuable lesson but there are more lessons to come. Take it slow. Don't push an injury like this. The more time you give it to heal now will determine how much grief it gives you in the future.

I wish you all the best. The above advice is from a guy who didn't listen to advice.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ladder safety - 02/18/13 12:59 AM

I hope you get well soon...

When accidents happen, I try to get into the habit of figuring out what went wrong, so we can learn from it. Just wondering...was the floor uneven...oily...were the ladder feet in good shape?
Posted By: ProLine

Re: ladder safety - 02/18/13 03:17 AM

I find it best to evaluate other peoples accidents and don't repeat their mistakes. Thanks for the learning experience!! Be Careful

Re: ladder safety - 02/18/13 01:48 PM

Thanks,everyone for the well wishes.
sgs, I am in my forties
dave k,the floor was brand new shiny and smooth,I was using one of those ladders that converts from a step to an extension ladder.It was extended,the top was on a ceiling beam and i decided to move it over an inch without getting down by jumping it a little.(stupid!).In hindsight i should have had my buddy footing the ladder or got down to move the ladder

i
Posted By: sgs

Re: ladder safety - 02/18/13 01:59 PM

That's what I thought. We don't heal-up like kids do.

I did a lot of that beam to floor ladder work when I was painting. Often as high as 24'. I never got used to it. Made me nervous as heck.

Listen to your doctor and get well soon.

Re: ladder safety - 02/18/13 06:19 PM

Thanks! Good lesson learned to share with all the other kids on the block.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: ladder safety - 02/20/13 11:47 PM

Sorry to hear about that, Steve. Live and learn, and heal up quick-like.
Posted By: jgrimm

Re: ladder safety - 02/21/13 12:36 AM

These T-shaped anti slip ladder mats will give you great traction on slippery surfaces. Picked up this tidbit from Eric A.
Although it probably won't do any good when jumping a ladder, it is a habit I need to break myself.
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder-accessories/ladder-stopper-anti-slip-mat.html

Re: ladder safety - 02/21/13 01:15 PM

unfortunately this incedent has made it so i cant go to the nyswma seminar this weekend.Surgery tommorrow!

Re: ladder safety - 02/21/13 03:31 PM

Steve:
Good luck tomorrow!

Re: ladder safety - 02/21/13 05:27 PM

Thanks!
Posted By: warrior

Re: ladder safety - 02/22/13 12:05 AM

Sorry Steve, I just had to and I hope the surgery geos well and you are on the mend quick like.

Re: ladder safety - 02/22/13 01:03 AM

lol! I like it thanks.
Posted By: WTWC

Re: ladder safety - 02/22/13 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By: jgrimm
These T-shaped anti slip ladder mats will give you great traction on slippery surfaces. Picked up this tidbit from Eric A.
Although it probably won't do any good when jumping a ladder, it is a habit I need to break myself.
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladder-accessories/ladder-stopper-anti-slip-mat.html

These ladder stops are what I use as well. Now if I could only remember to pick it back up before I go. As soon as you remember it, someone's already run over it!

Re: ladder safety - 02/22/13 03:30 AM

Coon pelts selling over 200 bucks now who needs a ladder

Re: ladder safety - 02/25/13 05:37 PM

just a reminder to all who dont think they will ever get hurt on a ladder,here is the result 3 days after surgery.5 pins one screw and i hit it so hard it threw one bone from one side of my wrist to the other side,the doctor wasnt sure where the bone came from until he cuy open the opposite side and saw it was missing....not fun!

Posted By: warrior

Re: ladder safety - 02/25/13 06:25 PM

Get mama to kiss your boo boo all better slap a bandaid on it and get back to work, you slacker wink. I hope it knits up fast and the after effects are minimal. Take care of that hand and do as the doctor orders no need to aggravate things any further, I know my aches and pains don't go away as fast as they used to.

Re: ladder safety - 02/25/13 06:29 PM

Thanks....appreciate you sharing the photo.

Re: ladder safety - 02/25/13 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: warrior
Get mama to kiss your boo boo all better slap a bandaid on it and get back to work, you slacker wink.

In my world,ball bustin is the best medicine...lol....thanks

Re: ladder safety - 02/25/13 06:49 PM

I hope it heals fast! Do not over do it.

Re: ladder safety - 02/25/13 10:28 PM

As my dear departed mother would say, "You're color looks good." ( If you like green )

Re: ladder safety - 02/26/13 05:18 AM

Holy cow . Don't look like you'll be setting any new beaver records anytime sone . So that's ladder hopping
Posted By: brianroberts

Re: ladder safety - 02/26/13 12:37 PM

Ladders can be very dangerous and falls can be fatal from as little as 5'. I know most of you aren't big fans of OSHA, however there rules and guidelines are there to prevent injurys such as this one.
A good read to fully understand ladder safety can be found at www.osha.gov
section 1926.1053 . There's plenty of good reading there and also a lot that won't pertain to anyone on here. Like we always say "Plan your work and work your plan"........B........

Re: ladder safety - 02/26/13 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
Holy cow . Don't look like you'll be setting any new beaver records anytime soon .

As soon as i can ill be back at it,ryan
Posted By: Keith J. Ferry

Re: ladder safety - 02/27/13 01:07 AM

Steve, sorry to hear about your fall. Its too bad we didnt schedule the CT seminar sooner. Hope your better soon and look forward to seeing you next month.

Keith

Re: ladder safety - 02/27/13 01:55 AM

thanks keith,looking forward to the seminar!
Posted By: Mark K

Re: ladder safety - 03/04/13 12:55 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nt0DT0nXq8
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: ladder safety - 03/04/13 01:27 AM

Well, I would've thought that firemen would know better than for two of 'em to stand on top of a ladder...
Posted By: Mark K

Re: ladder safety - 03/04/13 02:10 AM

Not only that, but why no ground man?

Re: ladder safety - 03/04/13 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Schmidt
Well, I would've thought that firemen would know better than for two of 'em to stand on top of a ladder...

In the class i went through to be a firefighter it was mandatory that there were 2 men up the ladder. One to operate the nozzle and one to hold most of the hose jump and push from the pressure. But there was always to be a ground man before anybody went up the ladder. And the ground man stayed til everybody was on the ground again. It was awful nice to not hafta hang on to that hose alone.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums