Home

First call for the new business...

Posted By: cannonx4

First call for the new business... - 01/17/13 03:07 PM

At least one person has found us. Well got my first call this morning, a lady has a opossum living under her house. We talked for a few minutes about this and that. When I told her the price and what it covered, it turned into one of those; I'll have to check with my husband calls. Maybe she will call back, maybe not. Oh well at least I did find out where she heard about me. She said she seen an ad I posted on Craig's list. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a call back.

If you don't use Craigs list, you should. People are definately looking at it.
Posted By: sgs

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/17/13 03:26 PM

Congratulations on your first call!

Don't feel bad if you don't get the job. Half of the calls I get go nowhere.

It's a start though.

btw...When you get your cards don't forget to hit every real estate office in your area. They provide a good amount of work.
Posted By: Nathan Krause

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/17/13 04:40 PM

Craigslist in my area seems to be mostly people wanting something for nothing.

I do a lot of work for real estate and property management offices along with golf courses. I would also drop cards off with local police department dispatchers. Make sure the dispatcher gets it. They are the ones fielding the calls.

I used to tape a bunch to gas pumps when fueling up but got a couple calls from the stations asking me to stop doing that. I also put cards inside all the traps at hardware stores but got a call from one of the manufacturers telling me to stop that also.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/17/13 04:49 PM

When you hear "I am going to check with my husband," that is the kiss of death.

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/17/13 04:58 PM

Phil, I sort of figured that but oh well. It felt good anyway. Maybe the next one will be the charme.

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/17/13 05:49 PM

Here is another tip. When you get those calls save them.

I write each one down on a post it note with name, phone number, complaint, and day they called. Then I call them back a week later and just tell them I was doing a follow up to make sure they got their problem solved.

I would say 4 out of 10 hire me on that call back.

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/17/13 06:14 PM

Nate that is a good idea, thanks. I will definately do that. Anyone else got any tips they don't mind giving out?
Posted By: warrior

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/17/13 06:47 PM

Never ever let price be the first thing discussed, even when they initiate the call with "how much do you charge". Also never ever finish with the price.
Get them to talking about their problem, ask directed questions and when you have gathered what you need to fully understand the problem then you outline (just an outline not teaching them how to) your solution again not mentioning price. The idea being that the two of you are making a personal connection of they have a problem and you are the answer. Then you can discuss price. I am a firm believer in telling them twice what I am going to for them and then state my fee and then tell them a third time. Be sure to string through all of this solicitations for positive answers and finish on a positive like, "does this sound good" or does this sound like what you want to happen". Make it easy and get them in the habit of saying yes. If I've got them on a roll and it's all there my final question is "when would you like to schedule".

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/17/13 07:41 PM

Another thought. The tire kickers are going to shop it around and talk to many folks. Some keep notes. The more I say the more the notes so keep them talking. I've had many callbacks based on nothing more than I was remembered.
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/17/13 07:56 PM

Same as Warrior I get a lot of those people calling me back even if I am not the cheapest. They usually tell me I gave them the most information and I took my time to speak with them. Even if they are out of your area being nice and helpful will be great for your business. My highest paying job to date came from a guy out of state that had a squirrel issue. I think I sent him to someone on here or Robbs site... I get a call from a big plant down here seems the CEO is the son of the guy I helped out of state. Karma:)
Posted By: mchitwood

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/17/13 11:45 PM

Answer the phone! You would be surprised how many jobs I have gotten because I was the only one they called that answered or I was the first one to call them back.
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/18/13 12:05 AM

Originally Posted By: mchitwood
Answer the phone! You would be surprised how many jobs I have gotten because I was the only one they called that answered or I was the first one to call them back.

Ditto! Many many clients in the last 1.5 years have mentioned calling others with no call back! Same thing with smartphone emails
I return them as soon as I am physically capable and people love that!

Justin

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/18/13 12:37 AM

It amazes me how many people tell me that I was the only one to answer the phone. I pay $200 for a phone bill you better believe I am going to answer it.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/18/13 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Trapping By Nate

It amazes me how many people tell me that I was the only one to answer the phone. I pay $200 for a phone bill you better believe I am going to answer it.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^ they want to talk with a person NOW
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/18/13 06:46 PM

All the above tips are very good.
The tire-kickers are gonna do one of three things: hope the problem goes away, buy a Havahart at the local Home Cheapo, or hire a pro like you. While, as David says, you talk a while before you get to price, don't spend ten minutes before mentioning price: once you get to price with the tire-kickers, nothing else matters (thanks to price-oriented stores like Home Depot, Walmart and Lowe's). Some folks start the conversation with "How much does it cost to...?"
"Let me ask my spouse" is usually the last you hear from them, but not always. If I don't close the sale over the phone, I always finish the conversation with "let us know what we can do for you." You have to let the customer know that you want his business. Never let your pride get the best of you and say anything nasty or slam down the phone. Many of my customers tell me they hired me because I sounded professional and personable.
"People don't hire companies, they hire people."

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/18/13 07:02 PM

Dave, your absolutely right and it is one of the things I have to watch and that is talking them out of hiring. Get them talking just enough to make the connection and then take charge and direct the conversation the way I need it to go.
Posted By: sunflowerpest

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/20/13 07:12 PM

Another good tip is after you state your price, stay firm. If you start adjusting your price on the phone, they will either think 1) Your prices were too high to begin with you must be gouging them, or 2) You don't know what you are talking about. They will take advantage of you if you allow them to. Once you open the door on price negotiations they go for the jugular. That is very hard to do when starting out. Show confidence and people can sense that.

This does not include repairs however. I will normally want to see them before giving them a price, or exclusion jobs like bats.

Dave is exactly right people want to do business with people not huge corporations.

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/21/13 02:01 AM

Boy, you can say that again.
There's nothing I respect less than a salesman who will try to sell something at twice the real price. There's a local home improvement company that is notorious for that.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/23/13 06:48 AM

It could be you placed your add on Craigslist and got your call but it wasn't a real wildlife problem . Lady's husband might have some service offered along side of yours and a light bulb lit up because her husbands niegbor hand a possum problem and they where just seeing how much that payed . People have a animal probem I can 100% guaranty ya they don't look on Craigslist . They don't look on YouTube or EBay . If they don't know about a service people offer they ether reaserch on google or call a friend that had this same problem . It would be nice if it where as simple as placing a free add but it just doesn't work that way . People have a possum coming up threw there bath tub it's like 911 time . They don't go on Craigslist looking for a doctor or fireman and wildlife is the same thing . It's raccoon breeding season not possum in the bathtub season . I hope I'm wrong and the lady does call back and the possum job goes well for ya . Mostly likly I'm not and if you keep posting there most likely every Tom dick and hairy will take note and do the same because they think wow this guy must really be doing good .

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/24/13 01:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Rick Federation

X10

Ahem.
Posted By: firedawg

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/25/13 02:27 AM

Yep, all good pointers and comments above. I have found that if they say they are gonna check with the spouse, I never get a call back. I also find myself telling too much info as to how I am going to fix/solve their problem. There are a lot of country folk around here, and if they have an idea about how to fix it, they will try to do it their self -- I would.

I have found that I get a job about 50/50 when I am able to answer before the voice mail picks up -- but I don't get a whole lot of calls like others on here.

I have found that the ones who leave a message and want a call back, i probally get 80% of those. and they are usually my good paying jobs. like bats or beaver

I also have found that a lot of my calls for things in or around the house are from females. You stand a much higher chance of selling them the job over the husband -- most of the time.

After doing gutter work for years, I learned my lesson on pricing jobs over the phone -- I usually break even if i am lucky or really cut into my profit margin. I treat this job no different. Some things get a free estimate, like bat jobs, nad some will get a service charge/inspection fee - like noises in the attic, or seeing a snake in the house. a little off topic, but it may help.

Being nice and professional to the customer is a must. Recently got a bat job from a guy who called. I went out the next day priced it, and he told me he had 2 more estimates to get and he would let me know. i figured that was the end of it, but 3 days later he called back and gave me the job. I got there 2 days later, and about half way through the job, one of the local franchise critter getters vehicle pulls into the drive. I thought uh-oh. He comes by me ask if I was the home owner, I said no and said he was in the house. He rings the door bell and the homeowner basically says thanks but I called you and you never called back. You should have called before you came over here, I hired someone who called back. The guy told the homeowner "Thanks for wasting my %^&^% time!" and left. So what is the point of saying all this?? If you want a job return the calls(there will be some you may forget, it happens to the best of us). If you don't get the job then, or you do a follow up call and they say they have it taken care of, say thanks and give or ask to send a business card and tell them if they need anything in the future feel free to give you another call. Good customer service skills will go a long way even with the jobs you don't get. And like mentioned above, if the job is too big or too far away, or you really don't know how to do it, refer someone to them that you trust that can do the job. Treat them like you would want to be treated if you were in their shoes.

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/25/13 11:55 PM

Very good advice, firedawg. I had the same kind of thing happen to me: got some bids on having some work done. One of the guys who didn't get the job e-mailed me to say "Thanks for wasting my time!"...
Although I didn't waste any of my time responding to this galoot, my reply would have been, "You wasted your time giving a free inspection. If giving you an opportunity to make money is wasting your time, then I sure won't waste my time pursuing you!"
..one of the reasons I charge for all inspections. My time, knowledge and experience is definitely valuable.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/26/13 12:01 AM

Why would anyone work for free? No need too...
Posted By: firedawg

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/29/13 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: DaveK
Why would anyone work for free? No need too...

I agree with that statement. BUT around here, many companies -- roofers, plumbers, carpenters, etc, will give free estimates for a job. that includes the competition in the adc companies around here too--folks around here (residential customers) just don't pay for inspections. If they "heard a noise" or saw a snake or something like that, it gets a service charge--those are the ones you may or may not find something. If they say they have bats, coons, a skunk, etc. I can give a free estimate on that since i know there is a animal to get rid or and something to fix as long as it don't take too long to get there. Now I learned years ago, pricing gutter jobs, you can't ride around all day pricing jobs and getting no work.

So each person will have to market a business plan according to his area. The plan is always a work in progress. You have to begin somewhere, and no one makes ALL the right decisions the first time. As you learn your market and your competition, a good business man will adjust his plan to maximize his time and profits. For me, right now, that means I can give some free estimates based on what the job is and the driving distance from my home. Once you learn customers voices--the things they unknowingly give you while discussing their problem, you will learn that you can just about pick which ones are going to hire you and which ones are just fishing for info.

Wish we did live in a area that we could charge for every trip out, just ain't gonna happen here. Now commercial quotes will get a service charge plus a fuel charge depending on travel time. If those won't pay for that, you ain't gonna get the job anyways--they are just using you to get the 2nd or 3rd estimate they are required to get -- been there done that -- learned that lesson.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/29/13 02:41 AM

Carpenters, painters and competitors give free inspections in my area. MI probably has one of the worst economies in the country. That said...you do not have to compete on price. It is more fun and profitable to charge for your time. But, to each their own!
Posted By: sgs

Re: First call for the new business... - 01/29/13 03:15 AM

I'd say that there is a difference between an "inspection" and an "estimate". "What will this service cost me?" That is an estimate. The "inspection" is the service.

It all depends on what you are going to inspect for. If you are going to inspect for mouse entry points, you certainly wouldn't charge the same for a 1000 square foot bungalow as you would for a 72,000 square foot industrial area.

The "estimate" is free. The "service" costs .... at least in my area. I know of no trades in NH that charge to give an estimate.

But every place is different. Follow your local customs.
Posted By: TRapper

Re: First call for the new business... - 02/08/13 06:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Phil Nichols
When you hear "I am going to check with my husband," that is the kiss of death.

yep, maybe....maybe....5% of those will call back
Posted By: Coondog6

Re: First call for the new business... - 02/24/13 04:19 PM

Hello All,

I bought The Salesmen Bible to learn how to make a close. Reading this post has helped a lot in how to approach a possible client over the phone.

Thanks a lot!
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: First call for the new business... - 02/24/13 09:16 PM

When you are speaking to the Mrs., you are already speaking to the "man" of the family. If you don't believe me, just ask your wife.
Posted By: roe

Re: First call for the new business... - 02/27/13 08:46 PM

Its a funny one this.....I try not to give them a price over the phone, i like to go and see the job and then give them a price face to face....sort of
"i've got the traps with me, do you want me to go ahead and sort the problem?"
my success rate for jobs to enquiries is very high. And....on the odd time they think my price IS high i can do a bit of haggling with them face to face, ask them what they had in mind, then work from there. of course, it might not work for you, but it sure works for moi.....Just a thought.

Re: First call for the new business... - 02/27/13 11:08 PM

roe, with price of gas in England, you must be a very good haggler.
Posted By: roe

Re: First call for the new business... - 02/28/13 07:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
roe, with price of gas in England, you must be a very good haggler.

ha! well paul i guess you must be correct! It's currently £1.45 per litre, and thats pounds not dollars!!!

But back to subject, I've got a very good telephone manner and I think that is very important, generally when i go out i know I'm going to get the job and I aren't especially cheap, but that said, it don't mind dropping the price to get the job but insist that i cannot give a 14 day guarantee with the job like i usually would. From what i've seen its the gift of the gab that gets you the job, nothing at all to do with how good you can trap, or what qualifications you've got!

Over here it seems everyones gone crazy on the qualifications, but that don't matter a jot if you don't know how to look people in the eye, and talk to them.;
Another thing, i try to limit myself to jobs within a 15-20 mile radius, that way i know theres plenty of profit in it....

Re: First call for the new business... - 02/28/13 10:04 PM

roe, if my calculations are correct ( approx. $1.52 = 1 pound and 3.78 litres = 1 gallon ) you are paying $5.75 per US gallon, which is about $2.00 US or 1.3 pounds more than what I am paying right now. Of course you have to understand that the United States has more crude oil than anywhere else in the world, so we should be paying about 1 pound per gallon.

On the other hand, the Grand Banks of Labrador in Canada has many huge oil deposits and are currently charging almost exactly what we are per US gallon. I have hunted Canada on several occasions and always enjoyed our friends to the north. And now I know why. The majority of Canadians come from British stock, which is where most of our founders came from.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums