Home

Woodepecker Help

Posted By: MikeTraps2

Woodepecker Help - 10/15/12 12:25 AM

What do you recommend to prevent woodpecker damages to a wood sided house?

Got a job next weekend and the house has 6-8 holes in the siding, and figure you guys know best.

Thanks - Mike
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Woodepecker Help - 10/15/12 12:50 AM

I pass on these jobs....that is my advice....for what its worth!
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Woodepecker Help - 10/15/12 12:16 PM

Are the birds looking to nest there or roost . How big are the holes . If there small and just feeding there you can slap staple some clear plastic over the area till the food source can be killed . They could just be probing for a good nesting spot .If there moving in the birds will need removed . There will be two holes one small one and a larger one about 12 " away .these birds get a lock on a house they wont give up its crazy .First step on that is to I.D the birds (deer cam)and check your state laws and call in to the Feds and explane your problem they will guide you from there . The birds can be capture at night alive and relocated away from each other .

Fixing the holes . Make up a batch of liquid Cornish . Get some outdoor type construction adhesive and mix in clean saw dust to give it texture but not to much texture needed . Pack the holes and smooth out . You can work it some after the hole is filled to match the wood texture . After you paint it you can't even tell there was a hole . Using reg store bought filler stands out after painting . It's also stronger than the wood .
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Woodepecker Help - 10/15/12 08:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
Are the birds looking to nest there or roost . How big are the holes . If there small and just feeding there you can slap staple some clear plastic over the area till the food source can be killed . They could just be probing for a good nesting spot .If there moving in the birds will need removed . There will be two holes one small one and a larger one about 12 " away .these birds get a lock on a house they wont give up its crazy .First step on that is to I.D the birds (deer cam)and check your state laws and call in to the Feds and explane your problem they will guide you from there . The birds can be capture at night alive and relocated away from each other .

Fixing the holes . Make up a batch of liquid Cornish . Get some outdoor type construction adhesive and mix in clean saw dust to give it texture but not to much texture needed . Pack the holes and smooth out . You can work it some after the hole is filled to match the wood texture . After you paint it you can't even tell there was a hole . Using reg store bought filler stands out after painting . It's also stronger than the wood .

Pesky are you still wacking woodies? or did you learn your lesson?
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Woodepecker Help - 10/18/12 01:07 AM

...I wondered the same thing. Guess he isn't, or he'd have said so.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums