Home

Caulk

Posted By: NE Wildlife

Caulk - 09/27/12 04:16 PM

What's the best out there for a clear silicone
Base
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Caulk - 09/27/12 04:39 PM

OSI Quad or Solar Seal seem to be the ones held in the highest regard in past threads and by others I've worked with. I use the OSI quad but the odor is something that should be noted if you are using it where the client will be exposed to it, especially if they are sensitive to odors (chemical sensitivities).

They have a "low voc" option, but it is still more odorous than other products I've used.

Justin

Ps. I credit Eric's class (bat exclusion) for teaching me more than I ever thought I wanted to know about caulk and sealant products.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Caulk - 09/27/12 06:44 PM

Check out "through the roof". It is clear, paintable, and can be applied on wet surfaces. Anyone tried it?
Posted By: 1st RiverRat

Re: Caulk - 09/28/12 03:54 AM

http://www.sashco.com/hi/lexel.html

It aint cheap
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: Caulk - 09/28/12 10:56 AM

Yea, a case of that stuff will leave a dent in your wallet Adam!

Re: Caulk - 09/28/12 11:34 AM

Through the roof is the same product as lexel....just different packaging. Cheaper.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Caulk - 09/28/12 07:20 PM

This is what the full time house caulking guys use . Might not be this same system but most of your paint stores will have things like this . They can match the caulk to each color of paint . Not sure if they have clear in stock . Much cheaper to buy it buy the bucket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ASuBm7ld0&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Posted By: ritrapper

Re: Caulk - 09/29/12 12:18 AM

what does everyone use for a dripless caulking gun? Im looking for a new one. looking at this one,does anyone use it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7aQwrmSr0A

Re: Caulk - 09/29/12 12:25 AM

Love it. They do wear out....but are worth the cost if you do a lot of caulking.
Posted By: Nic Pallo

Re: Caulk - 09/29/12 12:45 AM

Great caulk guns! Ive had mine for year and a half now, no issues yet smile

Re: Caulk - 09/29/12 12:53 AM

Has anyone tested their different models to see if there was a difference? i have been using ergo 2000...
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Caulk - 09/30/12 06:06 AM

I am sold on Poly seam seal,,,,,,,, for "clear or white applications"

I have had GREAT luck using quad on small crack ceder and log applications
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Caulk - 09/30/12 11:36 AM

I have used most all the available guns and material over the years. Basically they all work. Most guns anymore are all dripless units.If not you just need to get in the habit of releasing your lock/ratchet after each run application. Just as simple as that. If you are not trainable to do that then you better get a real dripless gun.

With guns it is just a matter of haveing several of them on had for use, misuse,accidents and forgetting them somewhere so you always have extras to work with or your employees.

We use all silicone type product mostly all the time.Clear, being the choice for most work,some white and brown being used on some occasions. Except for areas that may be painted in the future, then consideration must be given to paintable caulks at that time.

Silicone product glazes/dries more rapidly, compared to other types of Dap caulks could be somewhat compromised as a result of unpredictable or heavy rain showers that can affect the caulking you have just completed.All considerations that will become automatic practices over time.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Caulk - 10/01/12 02:24 AM

I've had some tubes of 100% silicone drip, even after releasing & pulling back the plunger; this happens when they are hanging straight down. Is is the heat or the nature of the caulk?

Re: Caulk - 10/01/12 11:57 AM

Gravity pressure most likely.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Caulk - 10/01/12 12:52 PM

Bob I was just watching your Fox trapping DVD a couple of Days ago
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Caulk - 10/05/12 01:15 AM

poly seam seal is an adhesive caulk that has very little shrinkage,,,,Fast setting and water clean up for the first hr,,,,and paintable..

It can be used indoor without the odor of silicone,,,.(they do make low odor silicone and paintable )

i have used it for a long time and offer min 3 year exclusion warranty on bats...

I have used it in eastern WA were the temps are 100 during the day and 35 at night,,,....
I have used it in the island where wind and salt are a factor

We also have a 80% plus humidity factor
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Caulk - 10/05/12 02:07 AM

Thanks for all the info on the caulk guys!

Re: Caulk - 10/05/12 06:16 PM

You got a chance to see me as a young man. The next videos will be the senior citizen formatted DVD series. smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums