Home

Starling Trap

Posted By: Galen

Starling Trap - 09/26/12 03:53 PM

Just curious what experiences people have had using "v" or "m" box traps. I built several "m" traps 2 years ago out of 2x4's and 1" chicken wire. 2 years ago I caught 0 starlings. This year I caught close to 500 in 2 weeks, but they were all juveniles. Does anyone know what size entrance holes need to be? I have my 3 holes cut at 24" by 1-3/4". I got the idea for the trap from http://www.extension.org/pages/11039/starling-damage-management

I know I need to make entrance larger, but don't want to go too big as to let birds escape. Maybe try 2"?

Any other types of traps that work well on large numbers of starlings? We have close to 100 acres of blueberries, and several hundred acres of other types of berries. We started using a Falconer the last couple of years, but I would really like to be able to get rid of large numbers of starlings on my own. Its too expensive not to do anything.
Posted By: ProFox

Re: Starling Trap - 09/28/12 05:03 AM

500 in Two weeks sounds awesome! I would love to see some pics of the traps you have built.
Posted By: pnwmtnmn

Re: Starling Trap - 09/28/12 07:12 AM

All of the traps I've seen on this side of the mtns have a strip opening in the bottom of the v about 2" wide and a bar or flat barrier just below it to prevent bird from escaping. I have seen upwards of 100 birds in a trap at one time 8'x4'x6'. leave a few birds in the trap with food and water they will bring in more birds.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Starling Trap - 09/30/12 03:42 PM

Posted By: Galen

Re: Starling Trap - 10/03/12 10:33 PM

I will send some pics soon. What type of food have you guys had luck with? I've been using cheetos (mainly for visual attractant), dog food, hanging fruit/nut suet cakes, and hanging bird seed feeders. I also added some fresh cut corn silage last night and it seemed to work. Picked up about 30-40 in each trap this morning.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums