Home

Bat nets?

Posted By: 2 trap

Bat nets? - 09/04/12 12:18 PM

I have a job. Haven't been there yet going tonight. The lady has a vent and a crack in her soffit. She said there were about 150 came out of the vent and another 50 out of the crack. i was thinking about extractor but would have to build something around the vent first. Has anyone used those nets i've seen them don't know if they work. If so once they are gone then i could use hardware cloth over the vent.n Any ideas!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bat nets? - 09/04/12 12:23 PM

Put the hardware cloth up. Bend the corner of the hardware cloth back where they are comming and going and put your excluder there. Or hang a sheet from the top of the vent down past the vent. Fasten the sheet good so you have no cracks. I think this is a gable vent aye?

Re: Bat nets? - 09/04/12 12:38 PM

sheet? like a bed sheet
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Bat nets? - 09/04/12 12:55 PM

I've used plastic sheeting as a big one way door funnel before,
Works good and u can cover a big area!
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Bat nets? - 09/04/12 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: 2 trap
i was thinking about extractor but would have to build something around the vent first. Has anyone used those nets i've seen them don't know if they work.

2 trap, I'm assuming you were referring to the exclusion type devices that allow one way exit as folks are posting about, but wanted to be sure.
There are a ton of options, empty caulk tubes, bat cones, fluorescent light tube carriers, hardware cloth, sheet, etc... Whatever does the job and allows them to leave without handling them and does not allow re-entry.

Remember they are going to land on the wall/roof/soffit and crawl in at the point of entry, so whatever you attach this area must be sealed well without making a sticky or tacky mess that bats can get caught on. Be sure if you use hardware cloth the edges are trimmed so not piercing sharp points exist to hang bats up.

Folks have lots of good options, again many will work, just use the one that works best on your entry points, allows them to leave and you feel confident won't allow them to re-enter.

Justin

Re: Bat nets? - 09/04/12 05:49 PM

They can fly or crawl out a empty caulk tube but can't do the same to get back in? the cone works on the same principle
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Bat nets? - 09/04/12 06:33 PM

The premise is that properly installed one way doors such as caulk tubes for example, tipped at a downward angle allow them out, but when they come back they are searching on the wall, soffit or roof surface, they don't fly into the little end of the tube, the way a bird could. If you look at most pictures you'll find of setups guys use, they usually dump the bats at at least a 45 degree angle and many are a straight shot down toward the ground (of course they are plenty high up to avoid them running into the ground).

Many people believe they will fly back into shorter things like the bat cone or pro cone, so most who have been doing this awhile seem to use longer tubes that provide most assurance that you won't have one or two sneak back inside.

If you look at how bats find and enter roosts it tells you what you need to know about excluding them.

Justin
Posted By: BBM Pres

Re: Bat nets? - 09/04/12 07:34 PM

Here is a short video showing exclusion netting for bats. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEsVi2gqcjg

The lighting looks weird due to YouTube "fixing" it. You can see the unfixed version on my facebook page under the WCT Group.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Bat nets? - 09/05/12 05:45 AM

Just run a tube out your vent screen and call it good . If the lady said there's 200 coming out she's got major problems with a toxic waist dump above her head . Most likely a major problem with bat bugs as well . Not sure why people just let these things just destroy there house .
© 2024 Trapperman Forums