Home

what's your best all around Bait

Posted By: Peskycritter

what's your best all around Bait - 08/18/12 01:58 AM

I would say wild apples
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/18/12 06:05 AM

You're almost out of peanut butter. Okay, I just gotta ask, what's the difference between wild apples and tame apples?

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/18/12 06:23 AM

That's simple Paul animals like that tarty taste . Just like sweet corn they like it a week before its ripe . Crab apple very bitter to us but animals just love them . Wild apples are free and a dozen can be used per trap . Store bought that's 4 bucks these days . Wild apples are native food that is natural for them to feed on . That's my guess . It's free and works good . Good for pine squirrels , woodchucks,coon ,possum, rats, deer ,bear, coyote, fox skunks . Put a pile of wild apples out and a pile of domestic type and which is gone first
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/18/12 12:13 PM

LT Grey's
" Black Walnut Bait "...sometimes hard to get, but always worth the wait!

Posted By: ritrapper

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/18/12 12:46 PM

there's always a bag of marshmallows on the truck!
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/18/12 09:17 PM

What idiot asked this question? Oh, sorry Pesky, actually it was a pretty good question.

That answer lies in where you are located and what your target animal's favorite food is.

Armadillo: I have no idea but from what I've read, drift fencing would be their favorite bait.

Beaver: The water is so low here that we haven't got one single beaver call this year. Where do they go?

Chipmunks: I don't care what you feed them, just get 'em caught. My favorite sized animule!

Feral Cats: Well how about cat food? Must taste like lobster after all those crappy songbirds!

Fox: They're a canine. Cheap dog food for the mutts; Science Diet for the purebreds.

Muskrat: A #120 Conibear. ( They seem to be attracted to the inverted V shaped triggers )

Opossum: Everything that I have mentioned in this entire post.

Pigeons: Pigeon food. ( If you ever find something better, let me know )

Raccoons: If you find something edible ( or inedible ) that raccoons are not attracted to, PM me. We'll make a fortune.

Skunk: According to my customers they like anything that is not intended for them. ( Man, I love skunks )

Squirrels: Sometimes you feel a nut; Sometimes you don't. ( Unless, of course, you're a squirrel )

Woodchucks; This year it seems to be trying to run through a Comstock without getting caught. Good Luck with that!

This covers most of my expertise, feel free to add your own.
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/18/12 10:02 PM

Pesky, I use a lot of apples also. Good on coon, woodchuck, possum, etc. Good for eye appeal. Also like bananas....Especially on skunks and coon. They give off good smell as they ripen and I always have some at the house that are getting too ripe fo me. But, I usually have 3 or 4 smells and or edibles in the cage. I Use a bait stick with a good paste of some kind in most sets along with apples or bananas. Then a good shot of my magic juice. Smorgesboard setting is my style. Cheese popcorn and mini marshmellows are good dropped through the pans on my williams traps.
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/18/12 10:29 PM

I agree with pesky its hard to beat wild apples especially for groundhogs.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/19/12 02:38 PM

Paul...that is a perfect little ditty for WCT.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/20/12 01:36 AM

Pesky, NO, NO NO, it's MICHIGAN Apples, didn't those advertisers teach you anything ? laugh

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/20/12 01:37 AM

...or Wild Michigan Apples, yeah, that's it, oh yeah...Wild Michigan !!!

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/20/12 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper

LT Grey's
" Black Walnut Bait "...sometimes hard to get, but always worth the wait!

...on a WILD MICHIGAN Apple !

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/20/12 04:30 AM

It will be hard to find any Michigan apples in stores because there's no crop . We had that heat wave in march for weeks so the trees bloomed and then it snowed and killed the blooms
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/20/12 08:31 PM

No moes and persimmon lure,
Posted By: wiggler

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/20/12 09:21 PM

we have a few apples up here in western michigan, but 90% are gone. gonna cost a pretty penny for apples this fall.
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: what's your best all around Bait - 08/20/12 10:23 PM

I've used beaver castor for everything from K9 to coons to wood chucks, with really good success!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums