Home

illinois nuisance animal control permit test

Posted By: c walker

illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/16/12 04:21 PM

i have taken this test twice ones a few years ago and once earlier this year. on both tests they said that i missed the same amount of questions. dont ask me how i have studied the entire code book and read numerous adc books and deal with animals all the time. i need to get this permit because in the line of work i do i have to deal with these situations all the time and need to be able to do it myself. as fare as i know the only people that ever get it in my area are the same people every year. i know another guy that has the same problem with the test. does anybody have any suggestions on how i can pass this test. please help. suggest some literature or something else i can do to try again. i think if i take it and fail again i wont be able to take it for a wial.
Posted By: Nathan Krause

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/16/12 08:14 PM

I love the multiple choice part. instructor didn't tell us that we had to choose "all" correct answers. I sat at question one for about ten minutes trying to figure out how to answer a question that had three correct answers.

Test is designed to fail. The items they tell you to study all contradict each other. But the test is passable.
Posted By: Jim Bethell

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/16/12 11:40 PM

y son took the test twice this spring. 77 the first time, 89 the second time. He told me that the internet book the state told him to read were the cloest (sp) to the right answers. In all the state recommended several books. Every book had different answers. Made the test hard. Also as was stated, some of the multiple choice had one right answer and some had all right answers. I took the test 21 years ago. Was a piece of cake at that time. Not now.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/21/12 04:12 AM

The state musta made the test a lot harder after I passed it on the first try!
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/21/12 04:58 AM

Does all the worker of company's Illinois all have to take the test or is just the owners . How much does it cost for this test . I know I took that NWCOA test and I did pass but it was more like mader of opinion . Could they be making it harder to limit the number opperators .
Posted By: Frank Bates

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/21/12 12:37 PM

Just the owner of a company have to take the test. Good forever as long as you send in your yearly reports. I believe it is still free to take.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/21/12 05:01 PM

You sure about that Frank? Unless it has changed I was told ANYONE who tends to traps has to have the Cert.
Posted By: Alpha Backflow

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/21/12 10:48 PM

Originally Posted By: il.trapper
You sure about that Frank? Unless it has changed I was told ANYONE who tends to traps has to have the Cert.

Thats the way I was told also. Just took the test 4 months ago. It was free.

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/22/12 12:44 AM

Still a free test. Everyone doing anything with the business must pass the test.
Posted By: Frank Bates

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/22/12 03:09 AM

I was wrong but there's something about direct supervision and putting them on your yearly report???

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/25/12 12:37 AM

Was told several years ago by a DNR employee that anyone who works in the field has to be licensed personally.
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/25/12 12:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Schmidt
Was told several years ago by a DNR employee that anyone who works in the field has to be licensed personally.

So if (in Ill.)I hire someone to hold a ladder, run a lift, or dig an exclusion trench they would need a wildlife liscence?

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/25/12 12:52 AM

Well, I mean in the field while trapping or handling wildife.
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/27/12 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Trapping By Nate
I love the multiple choice part. instructor didn't tell us that we had to choose "all" correct answers. I sat at question one for about ten minutes trying to figure out how to answer a question that had three correct answers.

Test is designed to fail. The items they tell you to study all contradict each other. But the test is passable.

How true Nate! The test is VERY passable. Just read the material the DNR recommends and then do some outsourcing too! READ READ READ!
I do not care how good of a trapper you are, you need to study the material the State WANTS you to know!
Posted By: ratbrain

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 08/27/12 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Jim Bethell
y son took the test twice this spring. 77 the first time, 89 the second time. He told me that the internet book the state told him to read were the cloest (sp) to the right answers. In all the state recommended several books. Every book had different answers. Made the test hard. Also as was stated, some of the multiple choice had one right answer and some had all right answers. I took the test 21 years ago. Was a piece of cake at that time. Not now.

Jim is right-on with this info! I ran into the same scenario when answering some questions, some answers from textbooks didn't match the options on the test questions exactly. Luckliy I had read OTHER information on specific species and that is what got me through the 1st try.
Posted By: huntin86

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/02/13 02:42 AM

I have been studying to take this test. Does the test have to be taken in Springfield, or are there other locations?

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/02/13 02:19 PM

Test can be taken in several other locations. A state biolagest(s) will give the test. Which everone is closest to you. Get hold of the regein office you are in. Location and phone number should be on the back of the rules flier.
Posted By: carp351

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/03/13 01:48 PM

I would think that Galesburg would be the closest for you. Call your district wildlife biologist and schedule an appointment. I took it twice this year. First time scored a 76 and then a 90 the second time. You definitely need to study.
Posted By: USNret

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/04/13 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
Does all the worker of company's Illinois all have to take the test or is just the owners . How much does it cost for this test . I know I took that NWCOA test and I did pass but it was more like mader of opinion . Could they be making it harder to limit the number opperators .

Are you really talking about the NWCOA's test [As in, the National Wildlife Control Operator's Association (NWCOA)] or did you just mis-type? Because I can guarantee you didn't take the NWCOA test. In fact I would bet you your best service vehicle and your entire business bank account that you didn't take that test. I wrote that test and only had two people take it for test question validation purposes, and you weren't one of them.

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/05/13 12:42 AM

USNret, No, they are talking about the test you have to take to be and ADC operater in Illinois. Not sure what Pesky is talking about.
Posted By: USNret

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/05/13 12:52 AM

That's my question Jim. Whatintheheck is Pesky talking about? Obviously not the NWCOA test, though anyone unfamiliar with the status of the test would draw the conclusion that NWCOA was in need of yet another nail in it's coffin compliments of the T-man forum regulars. I was just trying to set the record straight...as if it mattered here.

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/05/13 01:48 AM

It does matter. I am glad to get the right info for a change. Thank you.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/05/13 10:23 PM

I know The Wisconsin Wildlife Control Operator's Association has always had a test. I figured that Michigan had one too and that Pesky was talking about that one.

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/12/13 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: carp351
I would think that Galesburg would be the closest for you. Call your district wildlife biologist and schedule an appointment. I took it twice this year. First time scored a 76 and then a 90 the second time. You definitely need to study.

Carp351, any input on what i should study outside of what on the study guide, im assuming info on animal diseases and general information on wildlife in illinois?

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/12/13 11:16 PM

Diseases not so much. The info on the internet is the best. Problem is all the different books have different info in them. Problem which is right.
Posted By: bjansma

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/13/13 12:56 AM

It was a hard test. I remember one question to the effect "what kind of gun do you use to shoot a beaver swimming in a pond?" Illinois rules say no shooting into or across water. I asked the wildlife biologist during the test and he said the answer was shotgun. He said you're not supposed to but if you need to; use the safest gun with smallest chance of ricochet. He said the test is supposed to be based on common sense. Wish the rest of the state was run that way.
Know your legal trap sizes; foothold, conibear. There were a few very specific questions about those.

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/13/13 02:19 AM

Wow with questions like that i can see why so many of you guys say the test is hard. Thanks everyone for there input, i have my test scheduled for Monday morning. Hopefully i can pass it the first time.

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/13/13 03:06 AM

After you pass the Illinois test, you need to join the Illinois Wildlife Control Operators .

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/16/13 04:18 PM

how long did it take for the state to get back to you and let you know what are you passed?

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/16/13 04:58 PM

4 to 6 weeks is about average.

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/16/13 05:40 PM

wow they really take their time.
Posted By: bjansma

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/16/13 11:27 PM

They told me 45 days but it ended up being like two weeks. How do you think you did?
Posted By: carp351

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/17/13 12:22 PM

I believe each office is different. Springfield sent my results within a week along with my Permit. I hope you passed it but if you didn't then take the time to write everything down that you can remember about the test and use that as the study guide. It is the same test you will take over again. Good luck to you.

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/17/13 04:16 PM

I dont think i did too bad, there are a few things i should have studied a little better such as when raccoons, skunks, and squirrels have their young ( i should have know that would be on it). But most of the stuff i felt pretty comfortable with. There were a few scenario questions i felt like there was not enough information to say for sure what was the best method. Then there was a few questions such as "You are allowed to use the DNR's logo on your business cards" i don't remember seeing that anywhere. But overall i feel pretty good about the test it may be close, but i know if i don't pass this time i will have no problem the second time.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/17/13 09:57 PM

More than twenty years ago I made a very smart investment when money was a little tight. I paid all three of my kids and one of their mates, a hundred dollars apiece to go to the Wisconsin Trappers Association license testing. It was a two day affair and at the end of the last day the written test was given. Disclaimer: As far as I know, nobody has ever flunked this test.

So I showed up myself on the last day and I was the very first one done with the test. Any guess as to who had the only perfect score? Now my oldest took this whole testing thing seriously and when it came time to take the pest control test, she actually studied and beat me. ( Darn college kids ) But she was the only one. If you're going to own a company you need to have your employees look up to you. ( Yeah, you're right. That ain't never going to happen )

I would really like to take the Illinois test just to see what all you guys are talking about. Since I've been a member of the Illinois Association for years, maybe some day it will happen.

Re: illinois nuisance animal control permit test - 12/18/13 12:42 AM

Go for it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums