Home

groundhog trapping

Posted By: Bigkolo

groundhog trapping - 07/30/12 01:50 PM

Anyone know hot to trap these things, saw one in my neighbours yard yesterday around noon. I thought it was a coon. It can't access my yard yet due to the fence. Can these things climb like coons?
what bait is best to use?
will they attack chickens, ducks?
Posted By: Jeremy Chalk

Re: groundhog trapping - 07/30/12 02:32 PM

I have never seen one climb before. If it wants in your yard it will dig under the fence most likely. Your chickens and ducks are safe. They are a pretty docile animal unless cornered.

Re: groundhog trapping - 07/30/12 03:01 PM

Thing is I have raised my vegetable garden soil level about 18" higher from my neighbours yard(from which it came from) by adding composts over the years. I seen Groundhogs climbing trees and fences on the net (just doing a brief search). My neighbour doesn't have veggies in their yard, but I do. I wonder how long till it comes in??
do groundhogs eat cracked corn as well?

It's a first for me with groundhogs around here...wonder where they came from. I'm not close to a ravine. It is about 2 kms from here.
Posted By: wacotrapr

Re: groundhog trapping - 07/30/12 09:18 PM

groundhogs can climb .. im not sure how well but they can..
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: groundhog trapping - 07/30/12 10:06 PM

G-Hogs can climb as near as good as a raccoon with regards to trees and shrubs. I have seen them at the top of a 50 foot tree one time and many elevations in between over the years. Fences and wire fence gates prove to be no obstacle for climbing them.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: groundhog trapping - 07/30/12 10:36 PM

They are herbivores, so I wouldn't worry about your chickens and geese. If you know where their den is you can trap them there with a foothold and I've heard of others using baited traps with apples and such. Dens have always worked for me so I haven't tried bait.

They have multiple den entrances and will close one up if they sense danger, but will run right over an uncovered foothold, so they aren't the brightest.

I've never seen one climb, but by the look of their feet I wouldn't doubt it.

Matt
Posted By: The Trapster

Re: groundhog trapping - 07/30/12 11:53 PM

I have trained many a coonhound on them they can climb and fight more than one realizes.If you have veggies and your neighbor dont wont be long till he comes to visit,but dont worry a good clean cage trap can make short work of them wink
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: groundhog trapping - 07/31/12 01:06 PM

I had one in a tree about head high once, didn't know it was there till I got to about 5 feet, then it let me know it was there with that whistle scared the tar at of me LOL

Re: groundhog trapping - 07/31/12 03:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Bob Jameson
G-Hogs can climb as near as good as a raccoon with regards to trees and shrubs. I have seen them at the top of a 50 foot tree one time and many elevations in between over the years. Fences and wire fence gates prove to be no obstacle for climbing them.

I feel it will be in my yard shortly if that's the case. From what I read they hibernate in October and eat more and more food steadily till they den up. My neighbour don't have veggies, I have 100 Tomato plants, zuccini, eggplant, lettuce, beans, grapes lol
I'm doomed!
lol

From what I read they have large litters and breed more than a coon. I can't see where is den is...It's climbing over neighbours fence.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: groundhog trapping - 07/31/12 08:49 PM

For every dead woodchuck on our roads, I can probably count more than 50 raccoon. I've seen a litter of ten raccoons and have never seen a litter of that many 'chucks. They both only can raise a litter a year in Wisconsin. Catches of 1200 raccoons by ADC guys is not unheard of. I have no idea what kind of catches people make of woodchucks in good territory, but I sure would like to know!

Re: groundhog trapping - 08/01/12 01:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
For every dead woodchuck on our roads, I can probably count more than 50 raccoon. I've seen a litter of ten raccoons and have never seen a litter of that many 'chucks. They both only can raise a litter a year in Wisconsin. Catches of 1200 raccoons by ADC guys is not unheard of. I have no idea what kind of catches people make of woodchucks in good territory, but I sure would like to know!

Yup me too Paul. This one I saw didn't look bad fur wise either. I wonder if they "prime" up at all.
Posted By: kill-n-time

Re: groundhog trapping - 08/01/12 02:39 PM

I use 7X7X24 Williams cage traps, I will set cage by a trail or area I know they hang out at. I will cover the trap up with grass as well as the bottom of the cage. I make sure there is a beaten down path to the cage door. The bait I been using is from "THE TRAPSTER" here on T-MAN. That stuff works great. I will add the name of the fruity past bait he makes later. I use a medicine cup with a blueberry size glob in it. I will have a pig in the cage within two days. Most of the time it is in the same day. I am 23 up on the hogs this season, so it’s some good stuff. Here are a couple pics.

They dont seem to mess with the cup after they are in the cage.

Re: groundhog trapping - 08/01/12 06:53 PM

7x7x24 is a squirrel trap pretty much...I'd thought they'd be trap shy of such a small area.

Re: groundhog trapping - 08/01/12 09:20 PM

I like them cause the coons dont go in them, the 12x12x36 cages tend to get the coons with apples or sweet baits. we have tons of coons here. sometimes they like to roll the cages so I will T stake them or use branches and or logs to prevent that. I am not a, pro but it works for me.
Posted By: The Trapster

Re: groundhog trapping - 08/01/12 10:52 PM

Good job killin-time!!!! wink

Re: groundhog trapping - 08/01/12 11:45 PM

Groundhog assasin. That is the name of the bait I used. It's good stuff!!!

Re: groundhog trapping - 08/02/12 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By: kill-n-time
I like them cause the coons dont go in them, the 12x12x36 cages tend to get the coons with apples or sweet baits. we have tons of coons here. sometimes they like to roll the cages so I will T stake them or use branches and or logs to prevent that. I am not a, pro but it works for me.

yup...
ground hogs look kinda big though for 7x7x24 cage trap around here

Re: groundhog trapping - 08/02/12 08:41 PM

The biggest one I got was around 20 pounds. It could not turn around in the cage lol. It will hold your piggys for sure.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: groundhog trapping - 08/02/12 08:45 PM

Well, some people are lucky. They don't live in raccoon territory! So far, I haven't caught a coon in a 3"x3"x9" but I'm sure the day is coming!
Posted By: coonlove

Re: groundhog trapping - 08/03/12 01:08 AM

blackies blend makes a good woodchuck bait, It's called whistle stop.
my favorite trap for them is a 5x5 conibear. fits down in the hole
better than a 160.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums