Home

Rabies Vaccination

Posted By: Barehunter

Rabies Vaccination - 07/24/12 08:50 PM

Got the first shot of the rabies pre-exposure vaccine this morning. Will receive the second shot in 7 days and third shot in 21 days. The info sheet on rabies vaccine that I was given says that should I be bitten in the future that I still should have two booster shots of the same vaccine that I was given today. However I will not have to have the Rabies Immune Globulin shot that is apparently very expensive and not always readily available. To me the biggest plus for getting the vaccine is that you should be protected should you get exposed to the virus without realizing it. According to the Dr. that did the consultation almost all human rabies deaths in the U.S. are people that didn't realize they were exposed.

Shot was given in the arm and painless. No side effects yet but will keep you posted.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/24/12 09:39 PM

Okay barehunter, as you already know, everything you have told us so far is exactly the way I got the pre-exposure nearly twenty years ago. What I would like to ask is if the actual needle was still as small. ( probably less tham 1/2 inch ) She gave me the shot ( actually a vaccination ) and said "Your done". And I said, " What do you mean, I'm done? I didn't feel anyhthing!"

This was kind of a let-down for a shot that was supposed to scare the crap out of me.
Posted By: wiggler

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/24/12 09:44 PM

my arm was sore for a few days after the shots... but im a sissy anways... ive only got allergy shots for 17 years every other week!!! whistle
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/24/12 09:44 PM

They are cheap insurance for our own (and families) good.

Too bad we only get them so infrequently, since I like shots!!!!

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/24/12 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Okay barehunter, as you already know, everything you have told us so far is exactly the way I got the pre-exposure nearly twenty years ago. What I would like to ask is if the actual needle was still as small. ( probably less tham 1/2 inch ) She gave me the shot ( actually a vaccination ) and said "Your done". And I said, " What do you mean, I'm done? I didn't feel anyhthing!"

This was kind of a let-down for a shot that was supposed to scare the crap out of me.

I really didn't notice the length of the needle but it was absolutely painless.
Posted By: BUD25

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/25/12 11:53 PM

My employee is getting his first shot next week.....
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/26/12 02:52 AM

I received my first immunization injections in 1983. I do need to get my titer count determined here soon for a potential booster.
Posted By: Tyler Smith

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/27/12 04:01 AM

So how often to you need to get it done?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/27/12 11:29 AM

I am not sure of the frequency recommendations now for determining your antibody titer count after you have received your initial immunization shot series.I believed it is about every 8-10 years if memory serves me right.If it is maintained at a certain level you dont need any more shots unless a suspected contact is made.
Posted By: BUD25

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/27/12 01:23 PM

after the said shots, I was told to get titer levels checked every 2 years after...
Posted By: dew

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/27/12 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: BUD25
after the said shots, I was told to get titer levels checked every 2 years after...

After I received my shots I had my titer levels check and the first year i needed the booster.titer level needs to stay above 1.5 or higher.
Posted By: wiggler

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/27/12 08:04 PM

can i have my wife check my titer? whistle

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/31/12 08:52 PM

Thanks Guys! Now all i gotta do is figure out if i gotta go through the family doc or is this something you can walk in and have done directly at the hospital as outpatient?

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/31/12 08:59 PM

Tyler, as much as I disagree with our largest humane society ( okay, I may dislike them a lot ) they probably know twice as much about rabies as your best doctor. Give them a call first, ask them when they are going to be giving rabies shots, and ask if you can be included because of your job. If it doesn't work out, no harm done. If it does, you will probably save a small fortune. THIS GOES FOR ALL OF YOU!
Posted By: Warmutt

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/31/12 09:07 PM

Guy's I'd like to hear more about this as I've only had to give give two post contact rabies shots in my seven years as a nurse. I assume the pre-exposure vaccine is very different from the post-exposure shots. Any information you guys have would be appreciated.

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/31/12 10:33 PM

Got my second shot today. 3rd and final will be in two weeks. When I was given the first one they gave me a brochure from the CDC and contrary to what a lot of people think, the pre-exposure vaccine is the exact same thing as the post exposure EXCEPT that if you are exposed and have not had the vaccine you have to get 4 injections of the vaccine PLUS another shot called Rabies Immune Globulin (which is the real high dollar shot). I had zero side effects from the first shot other than slight soreness at the injection site. So far (11 hours after second shot) no side effects other than the soreness.

Again...I think the most important reason to get the pre-exposure vaccine is in the event that you somehow get exposed without realizing it....coon saliva in a cut or whatever.

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/31/12 10:46 PM

By the way, that slight soreness at the injection site can usually be relieved by rubbing the area. ( Yeah, I know, now you tell me )

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/31/12 11:02 PM

Thanks Paul...maybe I should take tomorrow off and go get a massage. Too bad these were given in the ARM!
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 07/31/12 11:08 PM

Veterans can get them at any VA Facility free or at low cost. Tell them youi work with wild animals and "NEED" the shots. if they give you any crap, contact the Patients Advocate.
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 08/01/12 04:06 AM

I had my shots done at the local health department. Went in told them I wanted the pre-exposure shots. They charged me $650.00 for the shots and the vaccine they had to order. Scheduled the shots and they gave me a print out for my records.
I figured I had dodged the bullet too many times.
The arm was sore on the last shot, the only side effect I have is craving fish, and playing in ditches and hanging out around dumpsters at McDonalds.

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 08/01/12 01:03 PM

Leary, you may also notice a new-found fear of fur stretchers.
Posted By: Leary Sink

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 08/03/12 01:52 AM

Paul I keep smelling them and thinkin Hey thats cousin Louie

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 08/12/12 01:25 AM

Thanks guys! I'll have to get on the ball and do some checking. I assume/hope my insurance will cover some of the cost? Time will tell!
Posted By: bic

Re: Rabies Vaccination - 08/12/12 01:31 AM

I've never had a rabies Vac. I don't do adc work. I Only trap so I never felt it was that necessary??
© 2024 Trapperman Forums