Home

well look what i caught trapping skunks

Posted By: Jonesie

well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/21/12 02:24 AM

using sweet corn and persimmon lures on a marshmallows as a scent holder lol

this one was nasty mean almost got my fingers 3 times when I was letting her out, think she would have be nicer to me being kind enough to let her go
Posted By: TwoDogs

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/22/12 02:31 AM

Never met a nice Grey Fox really. Everyone has tried to tair me from limb to limb. NICE CAGED FOX! Not real easy.
Posted By: wiggler

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/22/12 01:29 PM

you were trapping skunks with a cage that size???? sick
Posted By: sgs

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/22/12 02:32 PM

Quote:

lol...I was thinking the same thing.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/22/12 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By: sgs
Quote:

lol...I was thinking the same thing.

X 3???
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/22/12 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: wiggler

He may be like me when all my skunk traps are out you gotta make do and use what ever you have and not turn a job away cause your trap is to big. or he may be getting started and don't have a large amount of traps. never the less the guy is working. good job!
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/22/12 06:09 PM

SO that is why Jersey smells so bad, your skunks grow ginormus:)

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/23/12 02:13 AM

LOL you mean I can't use a trap that big Man I am sure glad you brought that to my attention LOL

well Boys I Have been control trapping skunks for almost 33 years now. that means I have been getting paid to do it LOL over all those years I have learned a lot. I was the first one to tell guys back in 1988 t a north east lecture I was giving that tasty cake oatmeal raisin bars was a good bait, just hard to use as I ate them more than used them for bait. I was one of the first in the late 80's to tell guys in lectures how female skunks getting ready to give birth become hard to deal with in tight spots that they feel uneasy in, matter fact I just wrote a article on skunks for the trappers post that Bob will be putting in print one of these days, dealing with skunks, that tells why I do what I do when trapping stinkers in the pre birthing , birthing and post birthing phases. I am also the one that put skunks into phases and how to deal with them as they are in each one of these phases similar to the 6 phases of squirrels.
My preferred trap is going to be a squirrel size cage. easier to hide, more traps in the truck when I am doing hard core skunk work, smaller covers to cover the trap, and last and most important less dirt they can pull into a trap which makes it liter to carry LOL. but when I run into family groups or den sites that skunks are in groups, what I call community dens, or if I am dealing with skunks that have a lot of pressure like people trying to catch them already or dogs in the yards, I will use bigger traps. 1. I can bait in such a way as I can get multiple skunks into the trap. 2. sometimes skunks will become trap shy or cautious for a number of reason, I go to a bigger trap to give them more room. next time you can't get that grubbing or worming skunk try going to a bigger cage.there are a few other little things that I do also in that case, but will not say lol 3. a bigger cage is harder for a skunk to work the sides if the bait is kept in the middle. 4 more eye appeal for the skunks that are just passing by. and 5. not the last reason but don't care to keep going, as was stated by Paul, what ever size trap is left in the truck works. LOL

here is a pic from a week ago with some little ones.
laugh
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/23/12 08:49 PM

Man, I just love to read what Jonesie has to say. I've listened to him in person and he can really make you feel what he says. He also has that talent to make you believe what he writes. I've caught enough skunks in my life to get real cocky about the subject but when Jonesie speaks, I will always bow to the master!

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/24/12 12:55 AM

I read all that in a magazine Paul and copied it
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/24/12 01:39 PM

Yeah, I got all that praise for you out of Cosmopolitan!

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/24/12 09:17 PM

cool I got to get that one

seriously though Thanks Paul for the complement.
Posted By: 1775

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/29/12 07:45 PM

Great post Jonesie
Posted By: MoFarmBoy

Re: well look what i caught trapping skunks - 07/31/12 05:18 PM

Love it, Jonesie!
I'm not on here much anymore, mostly on account of the preponderance of youthful bravado and spiteful negativity as evidenced above. But when I see your name, I read, and usually learn.
Thanks for sharing.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums