Home

Single vs dbl door

Posted By: 22mag

Single vs dbl door - 07/05/12 02:40 AM

Regarding "positive" sets ...before the new wire-trigger double door traps emerged, how did you make positive sets, one trap at the hole accompanied by a traditional bait set as well to accomodate animals not in the structure or burrow at the time of setting the trap?

Re: Single vs dbl door - 07/05/12 11:00 PM

Lots of views, but no takers?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Single vs dbl door - 07/05/12 11:25 PM

My method is like your initial description.

Nose cone or board type guiding or blocking of the posi set trap for a single animal, then reverse set traps at a right angles to the posi set trap to allow for returning or den hopping animals. Groundhogs and skunks will typically make den entry returns by moving paralell to structural barriers if part of the landscape.

Open den or field edge dens should be blocked or guided to eliminate entry from an unguarded direction.If setting for hogs or skunks the facing out traps are usually not baited. I may use a little trailing scent but traditional luring and baiting can cause coon or opossum catches if the traps are set all nite. Just too much odor to interest other opportunists.

Depends upon time of year as to double or multi setting for potential litters and what specie as to size of traps. Posi set trap is set with subtle visual and trailing scent to reduce chances of dig outs or dig under circumstances by some cautious animals.

Re: Single vs dbl door - 07/05/12 11:57 PM

If I read your 1st paragraph correctly, the a 3-trap set ends up looking like a "T" at the structure, where justified?
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Single vs dbl door - 07/06/12 12:32 AM

Yes that is it.

Re: Single vs dbl door - 07/06/12 12:44 AM

Thanks Bob, very informative post at my experience level.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums