Home

Porcupines

Posted By: nighthunter2

Porcupines - 06/18/12 01:43 PM

Hey guys I need a little help with trapping a porcupine I have trapped them before but I was curious if you guys had any techniques I could try to get these jobs done a little faster then a month. Thanks guys
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: Porcupines - 06/18/12 02:20 PM

It's always a waiting game but I have had some first night catches. I always tell my clients to give the project at least two weeks because porkies don't stay in one area very long. Generally it seems to take 7-10 days for them to make a circuit through their territory. Stop and think, if they stayed in one small area they would strip and kill every tree around them, kind of like what a pine beetle forest looks like. Set your traps along the game trails, they are lazy and like an easy path and check the culverts it's one of their favorite hide outs.

Re: Porcupines - 06/18/12 02:23 PM

This porcupine isn't eating the trees he is chewing on the log house I don't know if it's something in the stain they like or what I have a few property's like this. What do you use for bait or trailing scent Dave

Re: Porcupines - 06/18/12 03:12 PM

PM sent.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Porcupines - 06/18/12 03:29 PM

This box is porky killing machine , just add molasses and apples http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELrnVu-B1E4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Porcupines - 06/18/12 03:52 PM

I catch them by soaking a rag in really salty water
And just take it out and put it in back of cage! Works good
They love salt!
Posted By: wiggler

Re: Porcupines - 06/18/12 04:52 PM

im doin a porky job right now too that is P'n me off... fencing and salted apples.. but he sure does love that deck better than my bait... yes i do have the trails coming to it covered to. darn quill-pigs!!!
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Porcupines - 06/19/12 12:47 AM

They like to chew on them plywood box for some reason . It's a strange animal . They really like my fox sets to for some reason

Re: Porcupines - 06/19/12 03:36 AM

Hey thanks guys for all the info I have about a half a dozen traps out for this thing and I will let you know what happens thanks again guys
Posted By: Scott Conley

Re: Porcupines - 06/19/12 01:34 PM

If none of the excellent advice above works, borrow your neighbors hunting dog and take it on several reconnaissance trips. If you have a hunting dog of your own leave it in its kennel and continue with the previous advice.

Re: Porcupines - 06/19/12 08:13 PM

finally got that quill-pig today... i hope this is the only one.

Re: Porcupines - 06/19/12 08:14 PM

see my bait in the cage? whistle

Re: Porcupines - 06/19/12 08:16 PM

How many nights did it take? And it could be the only one, population densities aren't anywhere near what the damage indicates. The most I ever caught on one job was four in three nights and that was because the woods next to my client got cut down to make a new road and bridge which drove them to their property.

Re: Porcupines - 06/19/12 08:31 PM

it took me 5 nights to get him. i did a job a month ago that i took 3 out of it. they were eating the cedar siding. fencing and salt got them.

Re: Porcupines - 06/19/12 08:35 PM

I sometimes use salt but I think you need to be spot on with your set, I just don't see the smell of salt wafting across the woods. Salt is probably that last selling point that makes them enter the cage.

Re: Porcupines - 06/19/12 09:37 PM

what i did with this one.. is trailed small (dime sized) salted apples into the cage from about 2 foot out. in the back of the cage i hung a white wash cloth (cut in half) soaked in salt water. i think once he ate an apple with the salt and saw the white thing hanging in the cage.. it was all over.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Porcupines - 06/19/12 09:52 PM

and use a Duke??????

Re: Porcupines - 06/19/12 10:59 PM

you got that right!!! its the only HUGE traps i have... they wont go into a small "coon" size trap. whistle

Re: Porcupines - 06/20/12 04:08 AM

Don't tell LT,,,,,,,, I use the Havacraps with sig buts for lure,,,,,,,,,,

Re: Porcupines - 06/20/12 04:11 AM

Sometimes a longer ladder is better then a bigger cage,,, whistle ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Re: Porcupines - 06/20/12 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: wiggler
you got that right!!! its the only HUGE traps i have... they wont go into a small "coon" size trap. whistle

Not always true, I have a picture of the first porky I ever caught. He was so old he was grey and he filled a 11x12x36 coon cage.If you look on my website there should be some pictures of them in 11x12s since that was all I had in the beginning. BUT I always throw in a couple of 15x15x42 extra large traps on any porky job just in case I get one that is claustrophobic, that means afraid of small spaces for yous uneducated, tabacco chewing, cousin maaryin' rednekcs grin. I've also caught them in 160 coni-boxes, I use these when carrying a big cage up and down the coulees isn't practical.

Re: Porcupines - 06/20/12 03:06 PM

you have little porkies... we have REAL porkies. here.. whistle

Re: Porcupines - 06/23/12 08:20 PM

got another porky today at the porky place., second one in this set.. Happy Dance! laugh

Re: Porcupines - 06/24/12 03:17 AM

I still have yet to catch the porky I am after its been almost 2 1/2 weeks since I set the job up an have not seen any sign of him since Tuesday?

Re: Porcupines - 06/24/12 11:26 AM

are you fencing him into your trap? i fenced 3 different trails to get these guys to come into my trap. porkys are a waiting game for me. wish they were as easy as coons. fencing and salted apples. i always line the bottom of the cage with ground crap so they dont feel the cage. not sure if it makes any difference, but it cant hurt.

Re: Porcupines - 06/24/12 12:25 PM

Yeah I have 6 cages on this one with fencing the trails to my traps and traps and fencing in front of where he was going and eating the house. So I am guessing he has moved on for.

Re: Porcupines - 06/24/12 04:24 PM

he will be back.. quill pigs takes time... thats the hard part

Re: Porcupines - 06/24/12 08:23 PM

Well I am sure he will come back but unfortunately I am havering to pull traps in the morning cause I am going to Nebraska to go camping and fishing and compete in a walleye tournament up there.

Re: Porcupines - 06/24/12 08:48 PM

walleye fishing sounds like more fun to me anyways... good luck!

Re: Porcupines - 06/24/12 08:54 PM

Thanks we are gonna spend 10 days up there
© 2024 Trapperman Forums