Home

Why should I give you info???????

Posted By: Vinke

Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 05:42 AM

Why do we help on a open forum???????

Are we shooting your/yourself in the foot??????

Can ya give me a reason why we should help??????????
Posted By: Robb Russell

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 01:46 PM

Are you having a bad day Dave?
Posted By: bic

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 01:56 PM

Some folks try to help but they don't know what they are talking about. So by "helping" they are actually "hurting". So, does that make the ones that are wrong, right? wink
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 04:30 PM

As in any industry, its good to network. To see what is going on in other parts of the country, and see the new systems out there which make other operators work more effeciant.
I just learned of a bat removal law that I couldnt even get the DNR to confirm exists. Ill be able to explain that to my customers correctly when they ask.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 05:04 PM

Why not? Ultimately it comes down to the person whether or not they last in this industry. Share or not share matters not. I've taught several that made it and several that haven't, same knowledge different people.
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 05:48 PM

Knowledge is one of the few things when you share it you have more of it. Sharing knowledge also causes you not to be the victim of inbred knowledge. What hurts is people who don't give only take and insulting others experiences as incompetent, unprofessional, etc. Also everytime one of us does something bad or good it reflects on all of us.
Your competitor knowing how to do or not doing something doesn't hurt you. Them doing it better does and that doesn't come from sharing knowledge...probably genetics and environment.
I vote sharing openly and I would like to take this moment to thank those who do.
Posted By: sgs

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 06:04 PM

If you think about it, the vast majority of wco's don't even participate on internet forums. Who knows if they share their knowledge in their personal life.

I think most who share their knowledge, online or off, do it out of compassion. Humans are social animals and easing another's burden is learned behavior. Some get it. Some don't.

Vinke, why do you help others? You've gone to the trouble to make videos and post on multiple forums.
Posted By: Muddawg

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 08:16 PM

I've just started in the ADC field. I think I am the only one in my area so it's not like I am in direct competition with anyone.

But even If I were, there are those times when professionals seek the advice and help of other professionals. In this way we can better serve our own clients.

For instance;
For years I have made my living as a plumber. I do plumbing repair and light construction. I'm not in competition with the other plumbers in my area as much as we are working together. We keep in touch and discuss new techniques and code changes as well as new materials on the market. We also talk about problems we've encountered and what ways there are to solve them. Then, on occasions, we may discuss problem customers who can be either hard to get along with or bad about paying their bill. This is good, helpful, need to know information!

Then there is this as well. Some of us are better at one aspect while others handle the other side better. We can learn from each other or even trade off jobs. Also, there are those occasions where I may have to refer one of my customers to someone else because I can't get there quick enough for one reason or other. Just as I've had other plumbers refer business to me.

I've even been called on to help with someone else's job because they needed my knowledge or equipment that I had.

So, in reality, real professionals communicate all the time with one another. It is in this manner that we ALL can provide better services at reasonable prices.

Or.... I could just give you the short answer. "Hey! I looked at your foot! YOU OWE ME!" grin

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Muddawg
I've just started in the ADC field. I think I am the only one in my area

Hope your not a betting man I know of other<s>
Posted By: warrior

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 08:39 PM

Several others.

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 09:46 PM

Vinke

Learning, Educating & Sharing With The Nuisance Wildlife Control Industry Through Podcasts . That's a motto.

Last minute reminder to anyone with a thewildlifepro.net

The Wildlife Pro Network Forum We are opening up the forum to the public midnight tonight. Five years of archives shared tonight.
Posted By: Barehunter

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 10:42 PM

I'm sure you are playing devil's advocate Vinke but I would think sharing knowledge would be much more likely to keep some jackleg from doing something stupid and giving the whole industry a bad name than taking dollars out of your pocket. I've only been in business a little over a year and appreciate what I have learned off the forums immensely. Most evenings I spend hours on the forums. Thanks to all that are willing to share!
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/17/12 11:10 PM

Lots of knowledge available but there are still those doing handyman type work and cutting corners.
Posted By: Buzzard

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/18/12 12:27 AM

I dont....havent in years, too many folk who are smarter than me on here...........or like to pump their chest ??????
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/18/12 01:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Vinke

I give out mostly useless information, because I can, and it amuses me.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/18/12 04:56 AM

It dosnt matter cause nobody listens anyway lol.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/18/12 07:18 AM

I have see your foot and it should be shot.....

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/18/12 10:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Robb Russell
Originally Posted By: Muddawg
I've just started in the ADC field. I think I am the only one in my area

Hope your not a betting man I know of other<s>

In Wayne County, North Carolina?

Please, do tell.
Posted By: Nic Pallo

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/18/12 11:25 AM

Here are just a few of them that come up when you google Wildlife Control, Wayne County NC

http://www.usanimalcontrol.com/goldsboro...-fox-cyote.html

http://trianglewildliferemoval.calls.net/

http://www.carolinawildliferemoval.com/

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/18/12 12:55 PM

Here is a another one he lives nearby in Macclesfield ,Edgecomomb County

http://dead-animal-removal.com/goldsboro-wilson-rocky-mount-greenville-dead-animal-removal/

and Dan Glover has a fleet of trucks and services your area too http://trapperdans.com

Here is my NC list online

http://thewildlifepro.net/profiles/friend/list?q=north+carolina
Posted By: Jonesie

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/18/12 02:49 PM

giving info does not mean the person who gets the info can use it. I have been giving squirrel control talks for over 20 years and have never been hurt by giving them. what I find is that most people are so set in their ways and bull headed that they will never use what you gave them in the first place, LOL then if they do try to use the info they only listened to part of what they think they should listen to and come up with some off the wall notion of what I said it won't work any way. LOL I will not tell everything.

information makes the industries stronger. every service industries gives a ton of information, mostly from the manufactures and the like,that is why the pest control fields are so strong. the information does not guarantee success. only the person or company that is using it controls success or failure.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/18/12 03:26 PM

The real nuts and bolts of this biz is not really shared on here . Reading animal sign and movement could never be typed . Just trapping few animals really is just temp fix . The key to getting referral biz is to stop the animals from coming back . Sure its good to get repeat biz but when they tell there friends they can see its just temp fix . The reason I get on here its to talk to people that do the same things I do . Kinda hard to get that other places . And what do we talk about wildlife control . Most people think I'm nuts in the head to crawl threw animal urine soaked things . It's nice to know that im not the only one who enjoys his job . Sharing ideas on here helps fine tune tec that I use . I've learned and shared ideas on here I know I have helped some and I know I've been helped as well so it's a two way street .
Posted By: Jeremy Chalk

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/18/12 08:03 PM

Because of people like you and many others that contribute to this site and other sites I have gained enough knowledge and confidence in my abilities to start my own ADC business. Without the people who contribute I would be years behind. I don't have much experience and don't contribute a lot but as I gain knowledge I will freely share it with others (probably not my competitors) because others are willing to share with me. If my ADC business works out like I think it will I will be able to quit my job I hate and do something I actually like to do.
Thank you! To everybody who contributes.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/18/12 08:49 PM

To better the industry. Sharing info does not reduce the amount of business available. However, it may cause you to compete at a higher level.

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/18/12 10:03 PM

One thing I know for certain. A person with a passion for something will find that passion even though they may not even know what it is just yet - age does not matter.

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/19/12 01:41 AM

It's strange how some people have no passion for anything .

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/19/12 02:23 AM

Originally Posted By: yukonjeff

I have see your foot and it should be shot.....

am laughing doubled over, stomach cramps. Why were you looking at his foot?
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/19/12 02:35 AM

obviously you didnt see thie pics he posted of it on another forum. it was horrible!
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/19/12 07:22 AM

Originally Posted By: trapper4hire
obviously you didnt see thie pics he posted of it on another forum. it was horrible!

Yup...cant unsee that.. sick

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/19/12 07:25 AM

Why were you looking at his feet

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/19/12 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Nic Pallo

Okay. Out of curiosity, I tried to contact that first one your list.
They are a nation wide service that helps to FIND services and after dern near an hour on the computer, searching their web site, I came up empty. The only Goldsboro address they gave is one belonging to a local exterminator here that DOES NOT deal with wildlife.

The other two you listed are in the Raliegh Durham area. That's two counties away, so, still not any competition for me.

I checked the yellow pages. There are NO listings for wildlife services of any kind. The word "wildlife" isn't even in our yellow pages. The word "animal" is only used in correlation with animal hospitals.

On the NCWRC website, my name and number are the only ones listed for Wayne County.

There are several trappers listed but no other damage control agents.

I've done the web searches before and found nothing. My customers get my name from the local animal shelter or from the NCWRC web site.

I went to the animal shelter and asked the superintendent if they get many calls for this kind of thing. He was more than happy to receive my card telling me that they get calls all the time and he has no one to refer them to. Same goes at the Agriculture Extension office. They had no idea who to refer farmers to when they had a problem.
My conclusion, after all the evidence that I've seen and investigated, is that when it comes to Wildlife Damage Control in Wayne County,... I'm it!
Posted By: ccary

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/19/12 02:41 PM

I believe most post and "help" to get publicity, look smart, and other hidden motives lol. Sorry, thats just my take on it. Or i could lie to ya for better publicity lol.
Either way, however, there are some really good folks on here who are giving out good information that is useful. So i suppose everyone wins. The outcome - Who knows??

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/19/12 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: ccary
I believe most post and "help" to get publicity, look smart, and other hidden motives lol. Sorry, thats just my take on it. Or i could lie to ya for better publicity lol.
Either way, however, there are some really good folks on here who are giving out good information that is useful. So i suppose everyone wins. The outcome - Who knows??

Another reason I post is to brag about the big fish, put my manliness on display for the ladies, and be the poster boy for humility, cleanliness and the effects of having good thoughts.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 06/20/12 09:07 PM

Well, when you do reach out and people scoff at you, I can see why dave would say that...

Not everyone has had the good fortune we have....course, some have it better.
Posted By: D_Upchurch

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 07/01/12 09:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Robb Russell
Are you having a bad day Dave?

I must answer your question with a few questions.
First, how did you learn to trap? Spend alot of time re-inventing the wheel?
Second, do you make all your own traps? Do you buy traps and lures from people who know how to do these things?

The best way for any trade or idea to be passed on and built upon is to,
"Stand on the sholders of giants"

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 07/01/12 09:43 PM

Sorry Quoted wrong person. Wrote this for Vinke
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 07/02/12 03:36 PM

Quote:
First, how did you learn to trap? Spend alot of time re-inventing the wheel?

Yes,,,,,,,,,,

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 07/02/12 11:27 PM

In my experience, not just trapping but everything else I have done in my life. I have found that learning from others successes and failures has put me farther ahead in everything I do. I don't have to spend my very precious days figureing out how some things should be done. I spend my time (which none of us have an endless supply of) learning what others have done and to improve upon them, or just use their techniques because they work.
Posted By: EatenByLimestone

Re: Why should I give you info??????? - 07/03/12 02:23 AM

The info I give is worth what ya paid for it. However, if I give wrong info out it can hurt us all by giving (to some) a sensitive topic another black eye. Maybe by teaching the bob and weave I can help somebody avoid the black eye.

Matt
© 2024 Trapperman Forums