Home

Sparrows in ducts?

Posted By: traprjohn

Sparrows in ducts? - 06/17/12 03:54 AM

Customer has sparrows nesting in a 1st floor interior bathroom vent duct that runs between the 1st floor ceiling and the 2nd story flooring. It exits just over the kitchen window.

I'm afraid to try and attach a new duct and simultaneously pull from outside...so that as the old is coming out, the new is going in. If the old is attached/supported anywhere in the middle it'd get bad.

What about using a shop vac with multiple extensions?

Anyone done this before? Any ideas?

Thanks folks
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Sparrows in ducts? - 06/17/12 04:44 AM

Are you trying to remove the nest . Sounds like something starlings would nest in

Re: Sparrows in ducts? - 06/17/12 12:01 PM

yes, remove the nest and SMELL

This has been going on for 2 yrs alledgedly
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Sparrows in ducts? - 06/17/12 01:11 PM

I have done several (between the floor) duct replacements. They selodom go smoothly in my experience. Now I always inform home owner that there is a very strong possibility that i will need to cut at least 1 if not more access holes into the ceiling. And explain plainly wether or not you are going to repair the drywall (I do not, I recomend a local handyman). If the job appears like it is going to be too much headache, I exclude the birds and recomend they have an HVAC company replace the duct.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Sparrows in ducts? - 06/17/12 04:10 PM

Sometimes you can turn on the fan and then take some heavy ga wire and bend a hook on the end . Then push the wire threw nest twist and pull the nest out . If its made with stove pipe then you could use the shop vac after that . Might even work if it's that heavy ga flex pipe . You need to protect your lungs that's forsure .
Posted By: warrior

Re: Sparrows in ducts? - 06/17/12 05:08 PM

http://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/M...ry_Code=vacuums

Works wonders for me coupled with a 6.5hp shop vac.

Re: Sparrows in ducts? - 06/25/12 01:00 AM

That did the trick Warrior, Thanks.

And, thanx for the tips via phone!!!
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Sparrows in ducts? - 06/25/12 02:42 PM

lol....... right,,,,,,,,
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Sparrows in ducts? - 06/25/12 07:07 PM

Try this trap I have patented...........

Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: Sparrows in ducts? - 06/26/12 01:19 AM

Not allowed to gas the birds here smile
© 2024 Trapperman Forums