Home

What do you think of my truck?

Posted By: Baxter

What do you think of my truck? - 05/25/12 04:55 AM

THis is just the first rendering. It needs spell check and to remove some animals and move some stuff around. Over all I think it looks good. What else should I add or remove. THoughts please. Don't mind the messy truck.

Posted By: NV2056

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/25/12 05:44 AM

I think it looks real nice! Why stop the tracks at the door edge? They look so catchy I would continue them all the way up to the front bumper.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/25/12 10:27 AM

I agree with NV2056, Also a couple things You want your phone number on the door so that when you are at the stop lights next to someone they can easily see it to write it down. And make sure when you go back 2 truck lengths, the writing on the tailgate is readable.

Those are a couple comments I got from people who followed me into a Gas station to get my Card.
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/25/12 11:52 AM

It looks nice and will definitely get you noticed and some business. All the suggestions thus far have been good ones I can't think of anything else. Just don't go anywhere your not supposed to be the whole town will know where you've been
;-0. That's ok if you like Winkelmann. Everybody else has a marked truck and he goes stealth. Which is a good idea to have one vehicle for some situations.
It definely says you are committed to this business and the customers problem. You won't be disappearin mid job.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/25/12 12:27 PM

I would add some ladder racks . A custom lic plate is must for me . Mine is BAT WORK on the green truck and BATS 2 on the black truck . I get more comments on them plates . For 35 bucks best money I ever spent . Trapper paw them old school guys go unmarked . I think they tryed them magnetic door signs and dint get much return . The guy that trained me is the same way . I try to tell him . He just looks at me like I'm stupid . My record is 3 new jobs in one day from the lettering . If I were to sit in the home depot parking lot on a Saturday I would break that record forsure . I'm with Rick on keeping it simple and big .

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/25/12 01:55 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/25/12 02:15 PM

Baxter you've got great big brass ***** to drive around caliphony with a marked truck. I thought about starting my business when I lived in San Diego County but would have never lettered my truck. Even here in Montana I run magnets because I need to be in stealth mode fairly often. My tailgate sign covers the entire surface and has lettering big enough even a tri-focaled Winkelmann could read it. The truck does look good and I would take the advise of some of the guys here on what they might do different. Some of them are real fart smellers. laugh
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 12:38 AM

I beg your pardon! My peepers are about the only things on my body that still work half-way decent. Why just the other day I spotted this gal that was indecently exposed and drove right into a tree.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 01:00 AM

I think in your state you will be getting some free paint/artwork on your nice truck before long by way of aerosol can paint. frown
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 01:13 AM

I would do magnets if I were you. When I worked the Rancho Santa fe area they always wanted a "Black Ops" truck so the neighbors wouldn't ask any questions. Even here in Wisconsin I am hearing it more and more. Fine with me I tell them. I take them off a block away and act like a roofer.
Posted By: Phil Nichols

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 02:22 AM

Baxter, that is awesome. I would not have the cajones to do that here in Penciltucky.

Some would feel, I don't know, like a Billy the exterminator circus. But hey, that gets attention, and attention gets business.

I have always flown under the radar, probably because of my old school trapper roots. And maybe because of being in PA not CA.

Anyone in any state can sniff the air for opportunities, which are boundless.

Keep us informed friend.

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 02:34 AM

I'll let you guys know how it goes. I always have my other truck for stealth mode. I just can't see with all the driving I do a reason not to do it..

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 02:44 AM

The lettering on my truck more than makes the truck payment and the ins . That's not even counting the bids . You show up with magnet signs you just look part time . One more thing I catch someone painting my truck it will not go good . All the letter also works good when I'm fur trapping . People think im there on official business . I'm proud of what I do if people don't like it that's like a joke . Every budy has animal problems of some kind .

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 04:52 AM

I just bought a better domain name that will be easier to remember.
Pesky I have the same feelings. I am pretty proud that I took the leap of faith and it is working.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 01:35 PM

on the sides, swap the phone # and R,R & R
Posted By: BUD25

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 02:11 PM

Looks awesome!!

maybe just a single paw sillouette alongside A & M would appear better? less clutter on the white. Easy and Clear to read then. Very professional looking. Really gives a company great credibility with lettered vehicles
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 02:12 PM

In Montana it is very common to have a day job and a business, it's the only way we survive generally low wages and provide health insurance for our famalies. Using magnets is very common for many of us so our vehicles can go back to civilian dress in an instant. I never look at a service truck and think "that guys not committed to his business, he uses magnets". Walk a mile in our prairie mud caked boots before you put someone down for using magnets. Part-time? I wouldn't call a 16-17 hour day 7days a week part-time.

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 03:42 PM

I'm not putting down part time guys . If I was going to hire someone that's who I would hire . When I tell people I have a 5 year warranty on repair and exclusions they look at my truck to see if I plan to be around in 5 years . Things could be differnt in other parts of the country. I mostly work for retired auto workers . This area you are judged by what you drive . People spend 30 years biulding trucks they look at your truck . Auto works also do side line work , if I show up in a new truck with magnetic signs there going to think I'm a auto worker . I would never put down anybody That's out there working at any job . There's lots of lazzy people around these days just sitting around on there rear ends
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 04:19 PM

Just another perspective to consider. I would not wild looking truck at my house. Who wants all that attention sitting in your driveway, when there is a critter living in your home? On one hand, the truck advertising is great....on the other hand some customers would not like the attention.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 05:33 PM

I have used magnetic signs for 37 years. They provide versatility and options in what has been stated already. You can remove them if requested for a discreet service call as we all get those kinds of requests.They dont cause shadow effects on your truck paint when the paint or decal wrap is removed. We do get calls even from our magnetic sign presentation and folks stopping us where we are working or getting gas.

If you have an accident on a decal or paint job it is difficult and costly to repair properly to existing conditions. If you go to sell or trade your truck it will be down graded as a hard to sell vehicle etc. So there are advantages and disadvantages to all sorts of identification or logo work on service vehicles.

If you use your vehicle for personal use, as most of us likely do then you arent as likely to have people suspecting you may have equipment and tools in your vehicle worth breaking into or looking to steal your truck when you are all logo'd up. You never know who is sizing you up.More and more of our clientele want a low key approach to addressing their problem.

Some of you must live and service different customer bases then we do in our parts.

I prefer to fly low under the radar most of the time as I am from the old school generation like Phil Nichols and have learned some things over the years.In some cases it isnt good policy to advertise particularly in our low income areas that we go into to work at times.Being a billboard attraction in the wrong environment isnt a good approach in some cases.

That is something that will be learned the more you are in business and determined by where you work.
Posted By: swampdonkey

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 09:18 PM

Where are the rear paw tracks ?? Just sayin !!
Posted By: wiggler

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/26/12 09:47 PM

are those Bear tracks??? whistle i like coon tracks myself.

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/27/12 02:55 AM

Yes they are bear tracks. I asked for coon tracks and that is what he came up with. Like I said it is just the first draft.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/27/12 07:47 AM

I am with bobby J,,,SSSSSSSShhhhhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee,,,,,,,,, But,,,,I do have a promotional truck that sits in statistic locations,,,,,,,,,,
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/27/12 11:05 AM

In truck advertising, less is more ! wink
Posted By: G Hanold

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/27/12 12:06 PM

My question to the logo'd guys is how many of you are paying commercial insurance rates on your trucks because of the logo's and how much did the rates jump?
Posted By: BUD25

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/27/12 01:28 PM

Originally Posted By: G Hanold
My question to the logo'd guys is how many of you are paying commercial insurance rates on your trucks because of the logo's and how much did the rates jump?

I am through state farm and it hasnt moved at all.

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/27/12 01:34 PM

Wouldn't you have commercial regardless of the markings on the truck? Your rates are based upon risk. The last thing one would want, would be to be denied coverage in the case of an accident.
Posted By: G Hanold

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/27/12 02:26 PM

Without markings, my truck is just a daily driver that I haul my tools in, still covered but not commercial. I'm only part time until my retirement, by that time I plan on having a ADC only truck. I am actively searching for a new ride and would like to use it for a little ad space, was curious on what the other expenses were.
Posted By: Charles Holt

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/27/12 03:31 PM

If roofers, plumbers, pest control operators and other service based companies in your service area run unmarked trucks I would say go with the flow. But if these other service providers are running marked vehicles why wouldn't you? Have talked to a few on this subject and I have heard the same reasons as above - AR types, at what ever training event advice was given, so as not to embarrass their customers and so on. Maybe we can thank Billy and some other TV personalities for making our industry more main stream or maybe it is our service area but customer resistance to marked trucks is nill and confrontations with AR types is about the same. In our service area their are two types of customers, those that have wildlife issues those that will have wildlife issues and all forms of marketing helps both find and remember you. If you are monitoring how your customers find you and are running a marked truck it will surprise you just how many will cite your truck as their source. The number will vary but most months it still surprises me. It's never a huge number but it produces customers month in and month out for a one time initial cost. How many miles you drive a week? How many potential customers do you have pass you (yes PASS YOU slow and steady with a good dose of courtesy when you are in a marked truck)in a day? There is no wrong answer. What ever works for your area. But truck advertising will get you calls.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/27/12 08:50 PM

As usual, Charles is right on the mark for probably 95+% of the country. Maybe the only places you don't want a marked truck are in Beverly Hills, Hollywood, and where I live. I have mentioned this numerous times before and it truly bears repeating. Ask your customers exactly how they feel about your truck. Would they be happier without advertising? Do they think it's a plus that your vehicle could be a TV guy, internet guy, plumber, etc.

I'll predict what the answers will be: The customers that are honest and tell you that they would prefer no advertising are the customers that can afford you back again and again. The customers that don't mind are the customers that also don't pay. Like I said, this may not apply to your area at all, but why not ask?

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/27/12 10:15 PM

Right on, Paul....
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/27/12 10:52 PM

I had my truck lettered in San Diego and had all 4 tires cut. I wasnt even in the yuppy area of the county. The whole woulda shoulda coulda thing didnt apply, as it was done and they were gone. Ive had tires cut in Madison Wi, but once again, If I dont see who did it, how ya gonna get them back? Ive learned to buy used tires on craigs list.
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/28/12 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By: G Hanold

Even if your only parttime, if you are using your vehicle for any commercial purpose, your supposed to have commericial plates and insurance. At least that how it is here in Ohio. I would be very careful......

Re: What do you think of my truck? - 05/28/12 02:17 AM

I have been showing all of my current customers the pictures and asking them what they think. All have said they like it. Their demographic ranges from the SDCDA to retired couples and all of them said they would be okay with it and thought it looked "cool". I appreciate all of the thoughts. The outcome was as I expected a 50/50 split.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums