Home

Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics)

Posted By: trapper4hire

Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/01/12 10:52 PM

Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/01/12 11:05 PM

Do you think they forgot the end caps or they just chewed them off . Nice to see pictures

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/01/12 11:14 PM

They were never installed, the house had 4 diferent ridge vents. None of them had any caps, if you look close at the pics you can see the cap sitting in the ridge channel waiting patiently for installation.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/01/12 11:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
Nice to see pictures

Amen to that! nice to see pictures!

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 12:38 AM

330 your traps would fit nicely in that nosecone also.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 01:15 AM

How do you fix that hole
Posted By: Nic Pallo

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 01:36 AM

Excluder fabric from WCS with a good bead of adhesive seems to work.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 01:38 AM

You could also probably bend some flashing to fit or hardware cloth.
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 02:10 AM

I usually put hardware cloth in then pur foam it shutting off the air current.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 02:41 AM

WHAAAAT!

You numbnuts are losing money! Replace those things with cobra ridge vent and hardware cloth. I sell everyone I come across.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 02:42 AM

That's I doit to . Cram it full inject it

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 02:43 AM

I hope you do know that I say numbnuts with all the loving respect I would have for my brothers, right? At least I didn't call you what I call my fesh and blood brothers.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 02:44 AM

I'll dig up some pics for you to see.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 03:03 AM

Here's the problem

Yep, the squirrels are entering right here. This style is notorious for nail pops.

Rip that POS off and toss it to the ground.

Nail down a strip of hardware cloth. I know, overkill but I have to warranty this baby.

Roll out the ridge vent and nail down the caps. Viola, professionally done and money in your pocket.

Posted By: BUD25

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 03:11 AM

thats how the "Pro's" do it huh?
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 03:13 AM

Screws and some cobra faced and it would be cheaper and as effective////////////

There are a few models that "NEED" to be removed, but that is one that can be repaired if needed on lower budget job///

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 03:18 AM

Vinke, you are correct in that many times a new plug and some screws and adhesive will suffice, especially if a new roof is planned in the very near future. I have developed a distinct dislike though for that style of ridge and urge all of my clients with it on their homes to replace it, either now by me or at the very next reroof.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 03:21 AM

Or you could just nail it back down and plug the end , not everybody has the coin to replace the whole ridge vent , a lot of people are flat broke . Up my way . If your taking the test that is the right answer .Looks good nice job on it , no roof jacks where used how did you keep from sliding off ?

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 03:24 AM

I'm slowing down but I can still scramble. Actually, there was a flatter cricket roof I was standing on to take the first photo, from there I could access the ridge and straddle it.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 03:26 AM

Nnooooooo....... you use neoprene roofing screws,,,as I stated in the earlier post,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
5 cents each x 3"-6",,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 03:28 AM

Pesky, if I worried about my clients financials I would be broke as they are. I'm sorry for them but if they want it bad enough they will find a way to afford it. If not I do what I can for them and move on.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 03:29 AM

bats are a different story...............COBRA

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 03:31 AM

Good work out on the inner legs

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: BUD25

This type of mentality of "repair work" is what really gets to me... Competition doing crummy repairs with "foam and screen" and ripping customers off.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 03:50 AM

Sometimes that's all you can do , I've done afew free bat jobs for people , moms in school ,dads out working in some other state , if the people are trying I don't mind helping out , the last one I did for free they had already payed a nation wide company to doit , well it didn't work so the company just said ,well in are contract bla bla bla , them poor kids ,the house was loaded down . We all have to answer for are selfs in the end the way I see it , I took my sons out there and we got it done in know time at all . Felt good , good for my kids to ,

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 04:38 AM

Quote:
riginally Posted By: BUD25

This type of mentality of "repair work" is what really gets to me... Competition doing crummy repairs with "foam and screen" and ripping customers off.

Why complane,,,,,,,,,,, More work when they hire you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 04:39 AM

AND MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 10:59 AM

Originally Posted By: warrior
if I worried about my clients financials I would be broke as they are. I'm sorry for them but if they want it bad enough they will find a way to afford it. If not I do what I can for them and move on.

Best line in a while!
Posted By: Dave Shumway

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/02/12 10:31 PM

Originally Posted By: warrior
if I worried about my clients financials I would be broke as they are. I'm sorry for them but if they want it bad enough they will find a way to afford it. If not I do what I can for them and move on.

Can I get a AAAAAA-MEN
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/03/12 12:19 AM

AAAAAA-Men

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/03/12 01:22 AM

How did the squirrel set go

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/03/12 01:25 AM

Nada today. I trapperd a nursing female the day put on the colony. Im hoping the juvies will get hungry and pile up in the 1-way

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/03/12 02:01 AM

There were people selling baby squirrels on Craig's list here the other day . I think they got busted , there's a lady on Craig's list selling night crawlers for 6 bucks a doz , my daughter called her up and asked about it and the lady said she was all sold out . I told my daughter seeing she loves to hunt night crawlers so much , if I was you I would be getting into the crawler biz , so now that's all she's doing , got her friends even helping now she's up to 600 now .

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/03/12 02:05 AM

Albert Einstein once said the answer should be as simple as possible...but no simpler. Does anyone know of a bird or a squirrel defeating the hardware cloth and pur foam. I don't. I don't do it so much to save the customer money I do it because it works its simple and a side benefit is it does save them money and makes me money. It looks like the plug that was made for the hole and either wasn't put in or was removed by an animal.
I appreciate the insults being directed to Pesky. Thanks

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/03/12 06:40 AM

Originally Posted By: trapperpaw
Albert Einstein once said the answer should be as simple as possible...but no simpler. Does anyone know of a bird or a squirrel defeating the hardware cloth and pur foam. I don't. I don't do it so much to save the customer money I do it because it works its simple and a side benefit is it does save them money and makes me money. It looks like the plug that was made for the hole and either wasn't put in or was removed by an animal.
I appreciate the insults being directed to Pesky. Thanks

To each his own man....
Posted By: sgs

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/03/12 11:16 AM

Quote:

trapperpaw, I, for one, appreciate your business philosophy and ethics.

btw, there's nothing wrong with trying to save the customer money. It's good business.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/03/12 08:37 PM

Score!
Posted By: wiggler

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/03/12 10:09 PM

nice!!!! good job!

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/03/12 10:28 PM

Is he just resting

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/03/12 10:29 PM

very professional good job. Their are several good fixes posted on this thread but I sure by looking at the set up you know how to keep them out.
Posted By: jtptrap

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/03/12 11:00 PM

Hey warrior are those different colored shingles? Or is it just the angle and do you have issues getting shingles top match what they have our is black a sale color for all?

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 12:37 AM

Actually he was bouncing around like mad when I took the pic.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: trapper4hire

Score!

I would NEVER do it that way..

2 8x8's counter balanced on both sides is FAR more effective !

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 01:20 AM

LT when you say more effective do you mean your method would make them come out faster. That looks pretty effective.
Describe the 8x8 method a little more in detail. I'm sure it is a good method and I would like to use it sometime and I don't quite understand it.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 01:30 AM

Makes it Easyer to check this way , squirrel just needs a flag in his hand with the trappers phone number

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 01:59 AM

LT I'd like to see what ur talking about too. I'm always looking for new technique to add to arsenal.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 02:25 AM

So how would you do it ?

Anyone remember that post ?

(Please don't wake up LATrapper ) laugh

4 traps 8x8x24....a single strand of 14 gauge wire ( 30" long ) is tied at the bottom, dead center.

You drape this over your shoulder....UP the ladder you go. Be safe only carry 2 at a time, but they are tied together and balance on your shoulder, leaving your hands free...

Now where they are entering the ridge vent, counter balance them over the peak...you will never need any other tie off, due to it is perfectly balanced by each other,

Other 2 traps go on the other end...or near the first two traps...

A grey squirrel usually has 5...so you have 4 chances to catch a squirrel at this entrance.... and I usually have 1-4 within hours,

They are not afraid of a sibling in a trap, quite the opposite !

I can set these up very fast...and I mean VERY!...and have the litter caught in a day or two at the most...I often see another squirrel trying to get into a cage trap of a caught squirrel.

Your best bait is a live animal...now who didn't know that ?

You do know I supply more tails to Mepps than anyone in this part of Ohio, don't you ?

How do you think I do that...pickin up road kill
? laugh
Posted By: Dave Shumway

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 09:42 AM

What's all the pictures got to do with the thread topic?

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 10:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Dave Shumway
What's all the pictures got to do with the thread topic?

I'm not sure if its a case of A.D.D or A.D.H.D

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 10:38 AM

What you looking at pilgrim
I like goofy sets that get it done to
kids like to dig there own gold

good luck

Spearing yellow perch and catching minnows

Rat trapping on the big marsh

[img:gal:249654fa35363bf8f0]http://www.trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2012/05/full-24965-85116-img_20120324_00023.jpg[/img

Just teach the first born the rest will learn from that one

Fresh meat for dinner tonight
1 AES trap 1 basket 5 squirrels

Watch your step
Look what big brother got for pot frogs the best . Some people feed there kids mine feed me [img:gal:249654fa357fe9bdcc]http://www.trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2012/05/full-24965-85126-white20lake_20111114_00363.jpg[/img]
[img:gal:249654fa358680efc7]http://www.trapperman.com/forum/attachments/usergals/2012/05/full-24965-85128-west20bloomfield_20120310_00356.jpg[/img]

I'm very suprised to see you putting a cage with a 1X1 floor or a shingle roof with nothing there to protect the roof. I even see some shigle crumbs from the damage.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
So how would you do it ?

4 traps 8x8x24....a single strand of 14 gauge wire ( 30" long ) is tied at the bottom, dead center.

You drape this over your shoulder....UP the ladder you go. Be safe only carry 2 at a time, but they are tied together and balance on your shoulder, leaving your hands free...

Now where they are entering the ridge vent, counter balance them over the peak...you will never need any other tie off, due to it is perfectly balanced by each other,

Other 2 traps go on the other end...or near the first two traps...

A grey squirrel usually has 5...so you have 4 chances to catch a squirrel at this entrance.... and I usually have 1-4 within hours,

They are not afraid of a sibling in a trap, quite the opposite !

I can set these up very fast...and I mean VERY!...and have the litter caught in a day or two at the most...I often see another squirrel trying to get into a cage trap of a caught squirrel.

Your best bait is a live animal...now who didn't know that ?

You do know I supply more tails to Mepps than anyone in this part of Ohio, don't you ?

How do you think I do that...pickin up road kill
? laugh

How many tails did you turn in last year?
Posted By: wiggler

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 02:21 PM

dang it.... i gotta turn my puter sideways to see the pictures..!!!!! mad cant ya flip'em around so i dont break my neck? whistle

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 05:19 PM

I use baited cages on roofs also. Thats not what I'm talking about, have you never had a coon destroy aroof after being caught in that style of trap? I csn see shingle crumbs behind the trap in that pic.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 06:08 PM

They were getting ready to replace the roof . That house had it all , I removed 3 big boar coon , 2 squirrels , I did a exclusion on it after they got the new roof and did the bats , all is well now

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 07:15 PM

I see why you got the excluder trap up off the roof so the squirrels don't work up the ridge cap
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/04/12 08:03 PM

So how would you do it ?

4 traps 8x8x24....a single strand of 14 gauge wire ( 30" long ) is tied at the bottom, dead center…..

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1821923

I just woke up! I’m retired now. There is some good information in that post.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/05/12 12:02 AM

LT the reason I used a colony in this set was because I did not think the juvies would be old enough to be interrested in bait. They werent coming out yet, but knew they would get lonley and come out looking for mama. Juvie squirrels that are still nursing are hard to bait in my experience. they come out of the hole looking for mom so they can latch on for a meal, not looking for peanuts or corn that they've NEVER seen. In situations like this the 1 way door trap just seems to work better(for me). Takes less equipment for the same resault. there are still 2 baited cages on the roof beside hole waiting for any other adults that havent been removed earlier in project.

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/05/12 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: LAtrapper
So how would you do it ?

4 traps 8x8x24....a single strand of 14 gauge wire ( 30" long ) is tied at the bottom, dead center…..

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthrea...tml#Post1821923

I just woke up! I’m retired now. There is some good information in that post.

Thanks LA !

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/05/12 11:00 PM

Originally Posted By: trapper4hire
LT the reason I used a colony in this set was because I did not think the juvies would be old enough to be interrested in bait. They werent coming out yet, but knew they would get lonley and come out looking for mama. Juvie squirrels that are still nursing are hard to bait in my experience. they come out of the hole looking for mom so they can latch on for a meal, not looking for peanuts or corn that they've NEVER seen. In situations like this the 1 way door trap just seems to work better(for me). Takes less equipment for the same resault. there are still 2 baited cages on the roof beside hole waiting for any other adults that havent been removed earlier in project.

You use Black walnut bait, they'll leave a teet for a taste ! LOL laugh

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/06/12 12:23 AM

I bait my colony traps just to make them a little more friendly. I agree with LT a squirrel can't resist "black" walnuts. I mix an ounce of black walnut oil in a jar of peanut butter. When I counter balance traps like the 8x8 set up I use parachute chord. I suppose they could chew it into before entering the trap but it seems easier to keep more traps over my shoulder. I never take the first step off or on a ladder with anything in my hands.
I like sharing different methods but I can't discount the one pictured.
Or I guess I could say one word Comstock!!!

Re: Squirrel Ridge Vent Set-Up (pics) - 05/08/12 02:54 AM

Like this brother
© 2024 Trapperman Forums