Home

Comstock

Posted By: Fudd

Comstock - 04/28/12 12:34 AM

Caught a hard shell possum in an 18" Comstock two door today. Sent a pic off to Jim and he said it was the first report he'd gotten of one in an 18". Gotta love being the first at something.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Comstock - 04/28/12 01:34 AM

I'm working on cross breeding them right now ,should make a great cross
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Comstock - 04/29/12 11:10 AM

Cross with what?

Re: Comstock - 04/29/12 12:46 PM

A possum and a armadillo . After my nutria plan falled I needed something . What kind of water animal can't live under ice anyway
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Comstock - 05/16/12 12:42 AM

LOVE these new COMSTOCK traps! Our first catch resulted in a customer posting a review about our quick raccoon capture (they had an unsolved problem for 2 months). Thank you!!!

Re: Comstock - 05/17/12 12:56 AM

For the second catch, we set it on its side to capture a trap-smart coon entering a can vent (from the inside).

Re: Comstock - 05/17/12 01:33 AM

Ok Dave where's the pictures . We like pictures .

Re: Comstock - 05/25/12 06:06 PM

A raccoon rolled our baited trap and set it off. For round 2, we set a comstock on its side with a single door open & baited. Got em.
Posted By: Fudd

Re: Comstock - 05/25/12 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
Ok Dave where's the pictures . We like pictures .

I don't have access to them now, but Jim does if he wants them out there.
Posted By: BUD25

Re: Comstock - 05/25/12 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: DaveK
A raccoon rolled our baited trap and set it off. For round 2, we set a comstock on its side with a single door open & baited. Got em.

traps staked down, anchored will solve the problem of having traps rolled.

Re: Comstock - 05/26/12 12:04 AM

Good idea. This one was on a patio....digging up planted flowers.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Comstock - 05/26/12 12:15 AM

Hey Dave, I called Krier last night and one of my questions was " How well does Kugler like his Comstocks?" I think you answered the question.

Re: Comstock - 05/26/12 12:54 AM

Nuts, I will never be able to sell him my Safeguards. LOL

Re: Comstock - 05/26/12 12:56 AM

Come on Dave, you know Krier better than that. If you could palm off your Havaharts on him, the Safequards should be a cinch.

Re: Comstock - 05/26/12 01:04 AM

grin
Posted By: RF Wildlife

Re: Comstock - 05/26/12 01:38 AM

I keep a Comstock trap on the truck at all times now. This is a pic of what was described as maybe squirrels, or bats in the attic.
Pulled one young out of the attic expect to have a couple more. Giving them a night without mom to make it easier.

I like the 18" for chucks:)

Re: Comstock - 05/26/12 02:07 AM

Nice pic
Posted By: Jim Comstock

Re: Comstock - 05/26/12 12:39 PM

Great pics. Looks like that coon trap was upside down and the coon walked on the doors???? Have never done that or heard of it, though wondered if it would work. That is also a first that I know of, just took someone daring enough to try it. Even the weight of the coon walking on the doors did not disturb the trap due to the spring tension in this case holding the door up, and yet the trigger still fired just fine when the coon went through walking "on the ceiling," beautiful. The best part is trappers teaching everyone else how to use the traps, really the fun part in all this, experimenting and coming up new ideas. Think the upside down thing might just be ok after all as it is for beaver in the larger traps, lifts the animal in, pushing up and forward so not much chance of escape.
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Comstock - 05/26/12 07:35 PM

I set up these 2 locations this morning.

Re: Comstock - 05/27/12 12:54 AM

Great pictures Chris. As you look through the cage, you expect a Lionel train to come shooting through that trap any minute!

Re: Comstock - 05/27/12 04:30 PM

Results

Re: Comstock - 05/27/12 08:57 PM

I knew it Chris. I did the same thing yesterday and my results were the same. Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

The rest of you: Just pretend that Chris' picture is mine.

Re: Comstock - 05/28/12 12:06 AM

Just emailed Judy for 24 more. Hopefully, I can unload some of my old inventory.

Re: Comstock - 05/28/12 12:12 AM

Hey Paul to be fair i watched that hog run in the hole from the truck before I set it up. However if you look close at the pics, in the capture pic there is a very obvious poo that is not in the original pic of the set. This guy had a visitor after capture, hoping for repeat performance tomorrow.

Re: Comstock - 05/28/12 02:22 AM

Hey Chris, mine had at least three babies and they do a great job of getting caught in Comstocks too.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Comstock - 06/07/12 12:34 PM

When you build a positive set for 'coons, how tough do you make the blocks ("funnel")? I build 'em as good as final exclusion, and then some (knowing that there's a trap-shy bandit wanting to get in or out). How has your success rate been with this situation?

Re: Comstock - 06/07/12 06:17 PM

Dave, I've never had an animal go through the side of a positive set, no matter how flimsy. ( At least not that I can recall ) I have had them make a new hole in a completely different area because they were afraid of the set, but I've been making my positive sets sloppier and sloppier with the same success. I've always maintained that animals are lazier than people and I'm just trying to match their degree of laziness.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Comstock - 06/07/12 07:39 PM

It's them dumb, gotta-vote-twice-or-it-don't-count varmints ya got up in da Wisconsin. I've had lots and lots of skunks dig around my positive sets.

Re: Comstock - 06/07/12 08:21 PM

If the candidate is really good, I try to vote at least a half-a-dozen times.

As far as digging skunks go, try the Comstocks. You may be pleasantly surprized! ( One of our guys made the comment that "Why would skunks go through the trap when they could go around"?)
Posted By: WTWC

Re: Comstock - 06/08/12 04:15 PM

Comstock 24s are working great for Armadillo!
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Comstock - 06/08/12 04:45 PM

I think trapping is a good lesson in life don't always take the easy way out. Most of my positive sets could easily be bypassed but walking thru the trap looks easier so most go that route only to realize the easy way wasn't the right way.I am not critisizing Dave's thoughts on positive sets. Paul and I are doing what we are accusing the animal of doing.
Posted By: wiggler

Re: Comstock - 06/08/12 08:51 PM

i love Jim's traps to. set them out the first night.. coon, second night, red fox, third night, coon. what more could i ask for??? except 20 more of those traps... whistle

Re: Comstock - 06/11/12 01:01 AM

Posted By: WTWC

Re: Comstock - 06/12/12 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Schmidt
When you build a positive set for 'coons, how tough do you make the blocks ("funnel")? I build 'em as good as final exclusion, and then some (knowing that there's a trap-shy bandit wanting to get in or out). How has your success rate been with this situation?

I had a raccoon job this past week that gave me a run for my money. She set off a few traps and would just push up the soffit and go over my positive set. Pain in the bass. I'm guessing it's just a fluke and this is the raccoon that the neighbor let go a little too close to home. A neighbor came over and told me that he had a raccoon before too but he took care of it. After leaving me, he went back to his house on a ladder to double check his soffits.
Posted By: coonsmasher220

Re: Comstock - 06/14/12 09:56 PM

bobapottomus

nice lady gardner shovel

Re: Comstock - 06/15/12 06:50 AM

Originally Posted By: coonsmasher220
bobapottomus

nice lady gardner shovel

that shovel has helped on many a smash as you have witnessed. I am not ashamed of my lady gardner!
Posted By: hvtrapper

Re: Comstock - 06/15/12 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: trapper4hire
Originally Posted By: coonsmasher220
bobapottomus

nice lady gardner shovel

that shovel has helped on many a smash as you have witnessed. I am not ashamed of my lady gardner!

The Boss's Dad showed me the "lady gardner shovel" when I took instruction from him 20 years ago. Many handles later, I'm still using the one I bought back then.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums