Home

Conibears

Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Conibears - 04/27/12 04:58 PM

My 220s are old and crappy. ( kinda like me ) What's the consensus of opinion on what to use on raccoons. ( I only need a couple for those impossible ones )
Posted By: warrior

Re: Conibears - 04/27/12 05:29 PM

I like the duke 160.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Conibears - 04/27/12 05:59 PM

X2 because no restrictions on them in wi
Posted By: Nic Pallo

Re: Conibears - 04/27/12 07:51 PM

Belisle 160! Good for those once in a while woodchucks too wink
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Conibears - 04/27/12 08:01 PM

Quote:
Consensus- broad unanimity- general or widespread agreement among all the members of a group

Do you really expect this??? crazy

Re: Conibears - 04/27/12 08:37 PM

Ron, it's probably my age, but that is a very funny post! Knowing me, I'll probably buy a couple of each one mentioned. If you wonder why our company has never been mentioned in the Fortune 500, I think I'm the reason.
Posted By: LAtrapper

Re: Conibears - 04/27/12 09:12 PM

Paul W.,
I just checked. The dozen that I have are Duke. I bought them over 20 years ago. We can’t legally use body grip traps with a jaw spread over five inches, except in water. I have used them only for otter in trails through cattails. They are very effective for otters in small trails. We don’t have muskrats or mink locally. Have never seen a raccoon in a chimney. Have never found a use for them, except for otter. It is interesting to see how techniques and tools vary around the country.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Conibears - 04/28/12 02:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Nic Pallo
Belisle 160! Good for those once in a while woodchucks too wink

x2
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Conibears - 04/28/12 04:34 AM

You can't go wrong with the belisle of any size. What I like about them is their safeties and their springs. I have caught ground hogs by the foot and they were not able to escape. They are fatal if caught anywhere near where you meant to catch them. I have a few 220s many 160's but I have started to use belisle 120's in most situations. They are fatal, make neck catches on coon, ground hogs,squirrel size animals with just a little trigger adjustment and hard for most dogs to get deep into.
Just in case me or a dog owner does something stupid. The trap is not stupid it does exactly what it was bred and trained to do but sometimes human error gets it in trouble. I wish all employees were as reliable and predictive as the trap.
You can compare prices and I think you will find WCS competitive but the reason I would buy them from Alan is for about 3.00 each you can get them armour coated. Plus they sponsor this fun place. I have had them in and out of the weather, water for years and have never had any rust or maintenance except occasionally a trigger.
So instead of working on traps you can spend more time posting here or other fun things.
Posted By: moleman

Re: Conibears - 04/28/12 11:34 AM

It also seems the balisle has a little stronger springs on them. But what i like best is they won't pass around the ends of the trap when fired. I like the 160's.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Conibears - 04/28/12 07:40 PM

One thing Paul about the dukes they don't close down on possum like you would want them too . Ground hog and coon there fine and very strong traps

Re: Conibears - 04/28/12 09:33 PM

Thanks Rick! I guess I like the idea of the Belisle but up 'til now I was wondering if there was something wrong with the 220.

Re: Conibears - 04/28/12 10:24 PM

220 takes down the coon and hogs much faster
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Conibears - 04/28/12 10:35 PM

i get a more consistant catch and quicker dispatch with a 5x5. ive had to many coon still alive caught by the hips in 220s. 5X5 hits them right behind the ears everytime. same with hogs.
Posted By: coonsmasher220

Re: Conibears - 04/28/12 11:05 PM

5x5 is now my choice coon, g hog trap it makes for sense ...legal in more states more consistant kills right behind the ears. If your nuisance trapping on buildings its perfect they wont refuse the trap they have to come out. the bridgers are cheap and smash just fine. but if we could use 160 belisel i would rather have a magnum trap. for adc if i was just buying a few but i bought like 4 dozen 5x5 bridgers for fur trapping as well marten fisher coon and more.

Re: Conibears - 04/28/12 11:13 PM

Hey BB check out the 5X5 post I just added

Re: Conibears - 04/28/12 11:34 PM

That's true about the 220 and the hips , I didn't thank about that , is also the reason I had the DNR on one of my jobs after the neighbor called them in . I was found to legal but still drama don't need drama
Posted By: 1crazytrapper

Re: Conibears - 04/28/12 11:43 PM

IMO 160S FOR TRAILS 22OS FOR BUCKETS AND CUB BOXES where leagal. have more trouble with 280s not killing than either 220s or 160s.i use the cheaper dukes and bridgers so i can own way more.i have gang set 5x5s next to 6x6s and 7x7s alot and some times all connect but most times it is the 220s and 160s (as far as buckets and boxes go)i sold all my 5x5s will buy them again if i have to for leag. reasons. dont know about hogs as it is against the law to trap or hunt them in nebraska.

Re: Conibears - 04/28/12 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: 1crazytrapper
IMO 160S FOR TRAILS 22OS FOR BUCKETS AND CUB BOXES where leagal. have more trouble with 280s not killing than either 220s or 160s.i use the cheaper dukes and bridgers so i can own way more.i have gang set 5x5s next to 6x6s and 7x7s alot and some times all connect but most times it is the 220s and 160s (as far as buckets and boxes go)i sold all my 5x5s will buy them again if i have to for leag. reasons. dont know about hogs as it is against the law to trap or hunt them in nebraska.

for fur trapping where legal 220 is totally the way to go, this is the adc forum so presumed ther post was in regard to nuisance situations, which are usually set up as positive catch. in this situation the coon has little choice but to go through the trap. Of course if he is given options he will choose the less restrictive, larger trap.

I'm amazed you cant trap ground hogs there.

Re: Conibears - 04/29/12 12:32 AM

O SORRY DIDNT KNOW GROUNDHOG DUDE I GET PRMISSION FOR FUR TRAPPING BY TRAPPING LOTS OF THEM.WE HAVE LOTS HERE
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Conibears - 04/29/12 12:40 AM

Everything trapper4hire said and the 5x5 and belisle 120 add a little more safety for non targets.
This doesn't replace good judgement but if you have employees I would really recommend a quality smaller trap.
I used to primarily use 160's and 220s but the smaller trap has advantages in our situations.

Re: Conibears - 04/29/12 12:55 AM

OH SORRY BOUT That (TFH) I HAVE TRAPPED BOLTH FOR ABOUT 35YRS DIDNT KNOW YOU MEANT WOODCHUCKS! i have obtained about 1/4 of my fur trapping permission over the years from killen them chucks. there are alot of them digging in barns as well as problem coon where i live. most of the barns and sheds here have way too many ways for critters to enter,unless u were to put traps back to back across their open double doors they can come and go as they please. hence the buckets and boxes there is no other way that you can effectively remove them.

Re: Conibears - 04/29/12 01:31 AM

Yup when I was talking about the 220 I was thinking fur trapping in my kill boxes . Then when they started talking about the hip catch that reminded me of that problem on a job I had . It wasn't good for anybody , the lady home owner was about to kick something on the DNR calling lady neighbor . I started a fewd between neighbors . But maybe the neighbor would have called the DNR out even if it was in a cage trap who knows ,it wasn't her house getting damaged . Had a lady call the DNR out because I live trapped a ground hog that had been feeding at her feeder . The only law being broke was her harsoning me and her feeding deer when we had that feeding deer ban going . She didnt get a ticket for that . I was glad I could show the officer the damage being done on both jobs . That is a law here

Re: Conibears - 04/29/12 01:46 AM

i am sory about the post you guys i am ethical and i do not use that or any other illegal meathod for animal control. for those of u that saw it sorry again! i only wanted to get across the idea of the numbers of problem coon that are here. i wanted to make the point that even if you would use illegal meathods;it might not work against their numbers in some areas. again hope i didnt offend anyone. and sorry LA for making your job harder. anyway good problem to have.{too many coon} Crazy blush

Re: Conibears - 04/29/12 02:15 AM

I offend people on here like every post so don't worrie about it . And I don't think anybody was offended and if they were I'm sorry to . Group hug . Come on

Re: Conibears - 04/29/12 02:20 AM

THANKS PESKY U NOT SO PESKY! especially for a free trapper!

Re: Conibears - 04/29/12 02:36 AM

I must have missed the post with illegal recomendations? seems like everything said was legal..... somewhere? When I trap in Louisiana I set 330s on dry land. So no offense taken here.

Re: Conibears - 04/29/12 02:54 AM

I guess most people don't know what a free trapper is . I'm French atleast my last name is French , I'm sure that's all been bred out of my blood by now . This area of the country a lot of roads are named in French .citys ect , a free trapper means I don't work for a company and that I'm independent . I live free . It doesn't mean I trap for free . I've been charging all day now and into the night , headed home wonder what my boys got cooked for dinner , the other night they cooked suckers oboy got eat what you take I guess , but it wasn't bad his granpa showed him how to clean them so they were good , but still there is walleye in the freezer

Re: Conibears - 04/29/12 03:03 AM

i shall call u pasconell my friend. that is blood to be proud of. mighty good exploring beav trappen blood! hey man trappers are never home!! when i get home from trappen anything tastes good! Even suckers. i prefer the eyes but suckkers will do. hey by the way think we hyjackin this post!

Re: Conibears - 04/29/12 03:20 AM

No Paul will be on here soon and just have a great time with this , I'm sure he's doing his check spell right now

Re: Conibears - 04/29/12 03:21 AM

One in Nebraska and one in Michigan. I think I just got caught in the middle of a spelling bee!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums