Home

Bat deterrent?

Posted By: conejo

Bat deterrent? - 04/10/12 02:14 PM

I have a house that I performed a bat exclusion last year. Now i Have a bat(s) roosting on the stuco under a porch. The home owner does not want the mess there. There is no gap to seal them out of (just clinging to the stuco) and I have never seen a bat there during the day. Any ideas to keep them from hanging out there?
Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/10/12 02:43 PM

I had that same problem last summer on a high ceiling covered patio that I had excluded in 2010. What finally convinced them to leave was I hung some strips of mylar flash tape in the roosting area and then set up a high volume fan that could point straight up. I used a Stanley brand fan that looks like one of those floor drying fans the flood restoration guys use. This fan is smaller and cheaper, about $50 at Walmart, but puts out a huge volume of air. It may take several days or more to convince the bats it's not comfortable there anymore.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/10/12 08:22 PM

We use the Pesky method.
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/10/12 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
You could set some glue boards up in the corners , I get the same problem here on a few jobs and sometimes you just need to catch them seeing that's why the called in the first place , use Pam to get them out of the glue

then what?
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/10/12 08:52 PM

Or make the corners slippery so they have nothing to grab on. Sometimes a better selling point when the solution is more permanent. Using rolled aluminum works for me.

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/10/12 09:09 PM

Before we use the Pam and release them, we always give them a firm talking to. ( We explain to the bat how some people get creeped out just looking at them ) This always works. No more bats hanging in the corners. In one case, I hung a rope light. This not only pleased the customer but I didn't even need a heart to heart with the bats!
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/10/12 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Flick
Or make the corners slippery so they have nothing to grab on. Sometimes a better selling point when the solution is more permanent. Using rolled aluminum works for me.

X2

although a good talking to sounds good Paul! smile

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/10/12 09:19 PM

You could hang a mirror to show them how ugly they realy are.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/10/12 09:44 PM

There company's around here that spray repellent in foyers for this and also yards for snakes ,they just go door to door
Posted By: Robb Russell

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/10/12 09:47 PM

x3

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/10/12 11:08 PM

Rolled aluminum is a mirror. That's why it works so well.

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/10/12 11:27 PM

Which explains why I have trim coil in my bathroom.
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/11/12 02:04 AM

You're joking about using glue boards for bats, right??
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/11/12 04:41 AM

This is usually a temporary problem if you move them by habitat modification. Everyone has already spoken of most of my solutions. Slicking it up works, I take a foot of mylar and make a fold of duct tape over one end about 1/2 inch down to toughen it up. Then I put a fishing swivel thru it and a piece of monofilament line so it constantly moves and spins and hang it near the loafing spot by attaching it to the ceiling or a wire hanger similar to a woodpecker frightener sold at bird or farm supply stores. Or buy a woodpecker kit.
Mix some water with tabasco sauce and paint the area. Not any hot sauce but tabasco or hotter you want to add heat not flavor.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/11/12 04:50 AM

Just realized this wasn't the ADC Network and I can't say what I really think...

I expect this from bug people...not real BAT professionals. Some of you guys need to just trap squirrels...

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/11/12 11:35 PM

Thanks for that constructive comment LT. I look forward to hearing more from you in the future.
Posted By: Dave Shumway

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/12/12 12:02 AM

Hey, welcome back Mike.

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/12/12 02:58 AM

Originally Posted By: LT GREY
Just realized this wasn't the ADC Network and I can't say what I really think...

I expect this from bug people...not real BAT professionals. Some of you guys need to just trap squirrels...

I smell E-GO laugh laugh laugh

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/12/12 03:00 AM

Thanks Dave, Robb, Everyone

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/12/12 03:09 AM

I'm so confused???? confused confusedWhich Dave???? Their are so many Daves on here I'm thinking of going to a chicken-poop alias.

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/12/12 06:12 PM

Kinda why I've always called you Salys and why you always called me the "Intelligent Paul" so I wouldn't get confused with Brooker.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/14/12 02:36 AM

Is this where the Daves hang?

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/14/12 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP
I'm so confused???? confused confusedWhich Dave???? Their are so many Daves on here I'm thinking of going to a chicken-poop alias.

If I see "Chicken-Poop" as an alias, I'll know it's you, Buddy...

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/15/12 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: DaveK
Is this where the Daves hang?

Daves rule the others drool.

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/15/12 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Dave Schmidt
Originally Posted By: DAVE SALYS-CWCP

If I see "Chicken-Poop" as an alias, I'll know it's you, Buddy...

I guess I didn't make that clear. I think on the ADC Forum not using your real name is chicken poop(I'm avoiding the profanity filter) no "S" words.
DISCLAIMER: If you list your website, sign off with your name or other wise identify yourself you are exempt. The rest, man up!

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/15/12 09:14 PM

I just can't help but agree with Salsys on this one. I know that some of you won't believe this but Paul Winkelmann is NOT AN ALIAS! Despite the fact that I use my own name, E-mail address, ( wildlifecontrollers@yahoo.com ) snail mail address, ( 8041 W. Mequon Rd. Mequon, Wi 53097 ) I have only been shot at a couple of times and the bomb-squad does get a kick out of practicing at our house.

I really don't have a problem addressing a guy named "sqs" but the fact is, that I doubt "sqs" has ever said anything that I wouldn't put my own name to. Of course, like anything else, there are exceptions. Pesky Critter is so aptly named that his real name would probably be a let-down.

I do find it kind of interesting that many of the most controversial topics are created by the people that use their own name. Come to think of it, Dave Salys and I might be doing that right now!

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/15/12 09:41 PM

If I see "Chicken-Poop" as an alias, I'll know it's you, Buddy... [/quote]
I guess I didn't make that clear. I think on the ADC Forum not using your real name is chicken poop(I'm avoiding the profanity filter) no "S" words.
DISCLAIMER: If you list your website, sign off with your name or other wise identify yourself you are exempt. The rest, man up! [/quote]
I know, and agree with you. That having been said, there can be legit reasons for aliases.; just haven't used one yet.
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Bat deterrent? - 04/15/12 10:11 PM

Just to stay on topic. A shop vac or a frog gig works well. A frog grabber misses bats a lot so I would not recommend that. I never realozed Paul Wrinkleman wasn't an alias. I don't want to give up trapperpaw so I hope the signature change will make you guys think I'm nervy.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums