Home

I'm finally learning! (Price structure)

Posted By: Budfish

I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 05:44 AM

A thoughtful review of my own pricing structure brought to light a possable unfairness to my customers so I have now decided to change things up yet again.
I was charging:
$125 service call
$125 set up and 5 days trapping
$50 per animal.

With all the talk about per animal charges, I had overlooked the fact that it was unfair to put a time limit on catching the offending critter. If I did not perform, the customer would be stuck paying more for my failure. The per animal pricing, I feel, is not really a problem as I do not want to get stuck burning fuel on daily trap checks forever without some type of compensation for it. Also considering higher overhead, I have come up with the following that I now feel is fair to the customer as well as myself. This way, if I don't perform, it's my problem, not theirs.

$100 service call
$300 set up and trapping as long as needed or until customer says stop
$60 per animal
Posted By: Nic Pallo

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 11:35 AM

So for $300 you will trap all summer in one location and drive to check those traps even when you know yourself that they are not there anylonger?
May want to have some sort of cap on the time frame even if it is something along the lines of-
$300 set up and trapping as long as the animals are still active.
Just my .02 because sooner or later someone try and make you do just what I said, trap forever with no more $ given... This will give you an out at some point.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 11:43 AM

I figured I would just determine that myself, but you do bring up a good point. I will put more thought into this before I go with it. I would probably need something to end it besides just me saying there is no animal to catch. Thanks for your input.
Posted By: bluebill

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 12:01 PM

I always put a time limit. You never know when the offending animal decides to play in traffic. If I go over the time limit. I can extend it at no charge at my disgression. I am fair with the customer but a time limit keeps me in control.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 12:05 PM

The money is in doing the exclusion work , anybody can buy a cage trap and trap out the animals with it , try to offer something they can't do you them self. If yur just trapping every single stray animal in the neighbor hood your helping other people for free . I trap the min of animals i need to solve the problem then fix the house so animal can't return . The customers then tell there friends how there problem has finally been solved . I can't see any full time company surviving these hard times without doing exclusions , about every body has a neighbor with a trap
Posted By: Blackdog

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 02:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
The money is in doing the exclusion work

X2
Posted By: wiggler

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 03:06 PM

sometimes i deal with quill-pigs and they are such random travelers. it might take 2 weeks for the rodent to come back to a house and start chewing on a different side of it. when i trap these.. its a waiting game for them. ive waited 2 weeks for the big pigs to come back.. i funnel them into traps around these big houses. exclusion would be a very tough choice on some of these large cottages. so i always charge a daily visit and keep the customer informed on what its costing. and that it might take some time to finally catch this beast. but i always do!

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Peskycritter
The money is in doing the exclusion work , anybody can buy a cage trap and trap out the animals with it , try to offer something they can't do you them self. If yur just trapping every single stray animal in the neighbor hood your helping other people for free . I trap the min of animals i need to solve the problem then fix the house so animal can't return . The customers then tell there friends how there problem has finally been solved . I can't see any full time company surviving these hard times without doing exclusions , about every body has a neighbor with a trap

very few of them know what to do once they get a skunk in a trap. thats when they call me to pick it up and pay me for it.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: wiggler
sometimes i deal with quill-pigs and they are such random travelers. it might take 2 weeks for the rodent to come back to a house and start chewing on a different side of it. when i trap these.. its a waiting game for them. ive waited 2 weeks for the big pigs to come back.. i funnel them into traps around these big houses. exclusion would be a very tough choice on some of these large cottages. so i always charge a daily visit and keep the customer informed on what its costing. and that it might take some time to finally catch this beast. but i always do!
How come they don't live in southern mi

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 03:21 PM

their scared to come down in your part of the state... eek
Posted By: sgs

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 03:27 PM

Quote:
The money is in doing the exclusion work...

While there certainly is plenty of money in exclusion and repair there is still plenty of money in trapping. Ask any mole or beaver trapper. wink

Heck, I make pretty good money on trapping skunks.

Quote:
very few of them know what to do once they get a skunk in a trap.

Ain't that the truth.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 05:19 PM

While it's true that the money is in the exclusions, the fun is in the wildlife. I am all about fun! Take yesterday for example. A big Canadian gander fluffed up his wings and made a running start AT ME. I then commenced to fluff up my scrawny little wings and ran at him. I'll bet he's still telling his goose buddies about this lunatic that almost ran him over.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 06:57 PM

I understand the exclusion is a major part of solving the problem, but that is not what this thread is about. Exclusion is bid per job. My concerns here are my trapping fees and being fair to my customer and myself.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 07:56 PM

I guess the point I'm trying to make is if you just keep traps out catching all the animals your just hurting yours in the long run . You have to leave seed
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/20/12 11:41 PM

You have the right mindset, if you are thinking about being fair and consistent to your customers. The per animal fee will help ensure that you are a good trapper and perform. The customer will feel good about paying for performance.
Posted By: Blackdog

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/21/12 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Budfish
A thoughtful review of my own pricing structure brought to light a possable unfairness to my customers so I have now decided to change things up yet again.
I was charging:
$125 service call
$50 per animal.

With all the talk about per animal charges, I had overlooked the fact that it was unfair to put a time limit on catching the offending critter. If I did not perform, the customer would be stuck paying more for my failure. The per animal pricing, I feel, is not really a problem as I do not want to get stuck burning fuel on daily trap checks forever without some type of compensation for it. Also considering higher overhead, I have come up with the following that I now feel is fair to the customer as well as myself. This way, if I don't perform, it's my problem, not theirs.

$100 service call
$60 per animal

(edited my post)

I'm totally lost here...so if you still dont perform it costs them $150 more?
Posted By: ccary

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/21/12 01:16 AM

The money is in - - - - - whatever the money is in IN YOUR LOCATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/21/12 03:45 AM

Originally Posted By: wiggler
I catch a lot of them in my kill boxes up around you when I'm long lining coon , it was wierd last year on the south side of the big river I caught very few coon , I was setting up in the oak stands .now on the north side of the big river trapping the oak stands I had a great catch on every check . It was like something came along and killed all the coons and stopped at the river

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/21/12 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Blackdog
Originally Posted By: Budfish
I was charging:
$125 service call
$50 per animal.

$100 service call
$60 per animal

(edited my post)

I'm totally lost here...so if you still dont perform it costs them $150 more?

That is what I'm trying to take care of. If I make them pay for a week trapping, and I don't get the critter, it would not be fair to the customer to charge another week for my failure the first week. I was thinking about leaving it open ended, but as was pointed out, I may get a customer who tries to make me trap forever. I think that in my agreement I need an ending time, but I want to be fair to my customers also. A bit more thinking is in order here, but I may have a solution in mind.
Posted By: Mike K.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/21/12 03:13 PM

You might consider something along this line:

Customer has agreed to $________ for _________ days of trapping or until the intended results are obtained - whichever is first. All initial fees are fully earned after set up is complete. Customer may cancel this agreement at any time without penalty but there will be no pro-rated or partial refunds. Customer also agrees to promptly pay all current invoices upon cancellation.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/21/12 03:45 PM

Should try to keep it simple, explaining your price over the phone can confus people into just calling the other guy , people are suspect to hiden cost . I live in a area with lots of foreign people they are very hip to hidden cost ,

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/23/12 12:10 AM

I think a per animal fee is wrong and takes advantage of the customer in some instances, and in others it takes advantage of the nwco. But for the sake of the customer I used to always offer them a choice between a flat rate for x number of days or a set up and so much per animal. Let them choose the contract they would feel the most comfortable with. In either case I am going to deliver on resolving the conflict. And in either case for a contract to binding it must have a starting date and an ending date. The ending date can be altered if both parties in question agree to it.
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/23/12 12:45 AM

X 2 !

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/23/12 02:05 PM

Most of my chipmunk jobs I will go flat rate , I love it , I get paid up front , I'll gang set around the land scape , I just stop by once aday and it keeps the job real simple
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/23/12 11:35 PM

I had a customer call the other day because she had hired someone else first,they were gone, and she now wanted a second opinion. I believe he did a good job at resolving her problem,but what interested me was his receipt. He charged her a service call fee. Then he charged a per animal fee on top of that,but what I thought was a little overboard was he charged her a daily trap rental fee also,for everyday he left a trap. Does anyone else do this on a regular basis ? It seems like hiring a carpenter to do a job, then he charges you for renting his table saw ? I had never seen this done, and was curious if it was a regular practice I am missing the boat on.
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/24/12 12:31 AM

We do the original service call and the per animal fee and then we add the trap rental fee, the rebait fee, the relocation fee, the added gas cost fee, the advertising fee, the liability insurance fee, the surtax fee, and of course the accountant fee for adding all the other fees up. We're still waiting for our first job.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/24/12 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Albert Burns
I had a customer call the other day because she had hired someone else first,they were gone, and she now wanted a second opinion. I believe he did a good job at resolving her problem,but what interested me was his receipt. He charged her a service call fee. Then he charged a per animal fee on top of that,but what I thought was a little overboard was he charged her a daily trap rental fee also,for everyday he left a trap. Does anyone else do this on a regular basis ? It seems like hiring a carpenter to do a job, then he charges you for renting his table saw ? I had never seen this done, and was curious if it was a regular practice I am missing the boat on.
He charge a trap rental fee so he was then leasing her the trap, so if she didn't check the trap she would get the ticket not him
Posted By: Albert Burns

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/24/12 08:46 AM

"He charge a trap rental fee so he was then leasing her the trap, so if she didn't check the trap she would get the ticket not him"

In NY we can designate that a homeowner be allowed to check a cage, and call in, but in the end any cage we set is our responsibility. If it is not checked, and they don't call in, I get the ticket,there is no liability on the homeowner. I have alway's been one that likes to lay an eyeball on every cage I have set daily, the customer most of the time can't even tell if they are set or not. Paul, I got a good laugh out of that,alway's a pleasure seeing what you post. Have a great day, Albert

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/24/12 01:01 PM

I think the guy charging a trap rental fee is trying to cover his butt if something goes wrong. But in the end the client has a contract copy and can still show that he/she/they were charged a set up and service fee so the contractor (the nwco) is still legally responsible for the trap, and the welfare of any animals captured in said trap, that he/she set. The nwco is hosing the client IMO.

Here is why I really like some sort of set flat rate fee regardless of numbers of animals caught. I know what my fixed costs are, and I have a rough idea of what my variable costs are to do business, and I can pretty much judge how long a job should take me to successfully resolve it to my clients, and my, satisfaction. The faster I get it completed the more profitable I am.
Posted By: warrior

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/24/12 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
We do the original service call and the per animal fee and then we add the trap rental fee, the rebait fee, the relocation fee, the added gas cost fee, the advertising fee, the liability insurance fee, the surtax fee, and of course the accountant fee for adding all the other fees up. We're still waiting for our first job.

And that is exactly how you price a job, but for our clients sake add them all up and you have your fee structure.

Paul, if you don't mind I am going to steal this one to give to my clients who are to dense to understand.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/24/12 02:19 PM

I see some company's charge a trap checking fee , I also see this one company that has the customer call in each day by 8 am or they call the customer if no answer a tech is sent out and a trap check fee is charged , someday will have a deer cam that will check the traps for us , I know they do now but to much $

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/24/12 02:34 PM

Last year I caught a coon witch had chewed in the roof , the neighbor called the CO out witch got there the same time I did , he had know problem with my coon trapped but got a little upset that I had the customer check the trap for me , it was all legal he claimed seeing the animal was removed per the 24 hour check law , are trapping laws here are not very defined so some things are legal to one CO but not to others , if it goes to court the judge will have know idea if your legal or not .
Posted By: Dave Schmidt

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/24/12 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
While it's true that the money is in the exclusions, the fun is in the wildlife. I am all about fun! Take yesterday for example. A big Canadian gander fluffed up his wings and made a running start AT ME. I then commenced to fluff up my scrawny little wings and ran at him. I'll bet he's still telling his goose buddies about this lunatic that almost ran him over.

Paul, Paul...
1. You're not a goose. You can't fly.
2. Stop jumping off ladders.

Re: I'm finally learning! (Price structure) - 03/27/12 02:06 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. This is gonna take some real wheel burning to make a good decision.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums