Home

Gas Saving Driving Tips?

Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/18/12 04:02 PM

Tip#1. Fill your gas tank when it's about half full. You'll lose less gas to evaporation.

Tip#2. Fill you tank when it's empty. You don't want to haul all that heavy gas around.

So who's right?
Posted By: On a Call

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/18/12 04:13 PM

I would error on the side of #2.

That way if you catch a lower than normal price you fill up.
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/18/12 06:53 PM

#1 in the winter for less moisture condensation in the tank,
#2 rest of the year
www.gasbuddy.com to check for the lowest prices around and along travel routes.
Posted By: pnwmtnmn

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/18/12 08:44 PM

fill tank in evening when temp is lower...
in a 20 gallon tank you might get an extra quart in and in the daytime the gas expands keeping the tank full longer. I have filled my tank at night ( work graveyard) and in the morning have had gas leaking out of the top of the fill tube from the expansion.
Posted By: MAINEtrappin

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/18/12 09:43 PM

The way prices are going and where they are going to be im am thinking about attempting to convert my pick up from gas to human urine! the more water i drink the more "GAS" i have to fill up

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/18/12 10:44 PM

The last I checked Urine (human or other) wasn't flammable, but farts are.....
Posted By: jgrimm

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/18/12 11:41 PM

Always turn right.
Posted By: MoFarmBoy

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 01:38 AM

On days that are nice, I ride this when checking my in-town mole line. I can get 50 or so Steve's traps, a trowel, probe, and 20-oz Mountain Dew in a Craftsman tool bag under the seat.

124 mpg.
Posted By: Carcat

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 02:02 AM

Wear a helmet or you could have a huge hospital bill.
Posted By: MoFarmBoy

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 02:10 AM

Absolutely.

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 02:58 AM

Jason, I tried always turning right and wound up right back in bed. Come to think of it, on some days I should never have got out of bed.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 01:24 PM

I slowed down from 70 to 65 and my Dodge's eco kicks in, I gain 100 to 125 miles More per Tank if I just slow down... I only lose 5 minutes in an hours trip.
Posted By: On a Call

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 01:30 PM

I always wondered where the cut off for economy starts or ends ??? And why is it ??
Posted By: Kermit

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 02:30 PM

When speed doubles wind resistance goes up 4 times.As well braking goes up 4 times.So 4 times the wind resistance at 60 vs. 30 mph.

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: pnwmtnmn
in a 20 gallon tank you might get an extra quart in and in the daytime the gas expands keeping the tank full longer. I have filled my tank at night ( work graveyard) and in the morning have had gas leaking out of the top of the fill tube from the expansion.

Gas is stored in UNDERGROUND tanks, that keep the temp's very stable. What you pump is what you get. Any expansion is due to ambient air temps, and warmer expanded gas will have less oooomph than cooler gas.

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 03:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Jason, I tried always turning right and wound up right back in bed. Come to think of it, on some days I should never have got out of bed.

Ain't it the truth!

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 03:26 PM

Slowing down 5 mph will give you approx 7% better gas milage.
Cleaning all the crap out of the trunk/bed/back seat will reduce the weight load.
Overinflating tires doesn't do anything for you, but underinflated tires creates more drag and will wear out the tires quicker.
Posted By: BUD25

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 03:30 PM

bump your current prices to accommodate for rising gas prices!
Posted By: Budfish

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 03:38 PM

Drive a horse.
Drive a bike.
Drive a scooter.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 03:47 PM

Quote:
bump your current prices to accommodate for rising gas prices!

Didn't we do this the last time broke 4.00????????

This would be ok if "corporate America" would lower their fees after gas declines..........\
Posted By: Dawgcatcher

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 04:02 PM

Originally Posted By: BigBob
#1 in the winter for less moisture condensation in the tank,
#2 rest of the year

X2

And SLOW DOWN !! Like you said Bob, just reducing speed helps greatly !
Too bad nobody can get up for work a 1/2-hour earlier so they dont have to play mario-Andretti every morning on way to work..
Posted By: oklahoma

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 04:20 PM

i know when i went to colorado last year, i wasnt in a hurry, i did drive at night, instead of 65 i drove between 55 and 60 and got much better milage,

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: BigBob
Originally Posted By: pnwmtnmn

Gas is stored in UNDERGROUND tanks, that keep the temp's very stable. What you pump is what you get. Any expansion is due to ambient air temps, and warmer expanded gas will have less oooomph than cooler gas.

Up here a lot of gas is stored in ABOVEGROUND tanks on concrete pads complete with rails go keep any leakage from going anywhere especially near the rivers.

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 05:38 PM

Gas here comes from huge above ground tanks about three miles from where we live. There are a half a dozen different companies with tanks and I've seen every brand name truck get filled there. Those heavy tankers are not very gentle to the roads either.
Posted By: ponyboy

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 06:04 PM

My solution...... Charge more for nuisance work.......
Posted By: HD_Wildlife

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/19/12 10:45 PM

Originally Posted By: 330-Trapper
I slowed down from 70 to 65 and my Dodge's eco kicks in, I gain 100 to 125 miles More per Tank if I just slow down... I only lose 5 minutes in an hours trip.

Our sprinter at 65 gets 20+ MPG, whereas at 70-75 we get about the same less in mileage as 330 stated. Makes a big difference we just plan trips with that MPH and schedule accordingly. If I'm late and mostly interstate driving and I use the posted 75 mph you can see the difference!

good tips!

justin
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Gas Saving Driving Tips? - 03/20/12 02:32 AM

Set more traps at the job , setup funnels , spend more time at the job to make sure the next day your doing the repair and the job is done , also been just going in after them so I can rap it right up that day . That's saves gas
© 2024 Trapperman Forums