Home

Building live traps

Posted By: Kermit

Building live traps - 03/16/12 04:19 PM

Why are live traps built out of wire mesh?Price is the only reason.That is initial price.If you use sheets with 1/2 holes you can make a far better trap.Some bends, some light aluminum angle iron, some stainless pop rivets and you have a lifetime trap.Especially if you put door linkage on the outside.The following is a picture of the plate.
http://www.accurateperforating.com/capabilities/materials/perforated-aluminum
Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Re: Building live traps - 03/16/12 04:28 PM

Kermit, they do everything from 24 guage to 1/2 inch. What thickness would be about right?
Posted By: Kirk De

Re: Building live traps - 03/16/12 04:37 PM

Unless those holes are buffered or the edges filed, you might have some leaky red coons. You might want to try "one" first. It probably would heat up if left in the sun more than wire.

Re: Building live traps - 03/16/12 04:44 PM

Paul 1/8 is about 11 gauge.14 gauge is pretty good, but get in a crimp shop and look at pieces of various gauges.A double tri has better than 50 % open area.Not sure wether a solid plate roof would be cooler,ie sunshade.

Re: Building live traps - 03/16/12 04:46 PM

I think what Kirk is trying to say is that in Ontario those are called traps; in the south they're called little wildlife ovens.

Kirk, have you ever built a cage with air conditioning?

Re: Building live traps - 03/16/12 04:50 PM

A maximum minimum thermometer would answer that question.Rough something together and set in the sun.I have a trap made with galvanized gauge material.Works good for me.If it is an oven then I guess coon is ready for the table.Better change to possum bait.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Building live traps - 03/16/12 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
Kermit, they do everything from 24 guage to 1/2 inch. What thickness would be about right?
They would cut them selves just like they do on the safeguards

Re: Building live traps - 03/16/12 11:25 PM

Guess I am lucky with my trap then.No beat up coon yet.

Re: Building live traps - 03/17/12 04:04 AM

If the sheets have only 1/2 inch holes they couldn't tear themselves up, could they?
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Building live traps - 03/17/12 05:09 AM

1/2 sould be ok , I was looking at the stuff on that web site it looked big , aluminum would attract scrapers
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Building live traps - 03/17/12 02:44 PM

I have a guy build me ones for $40.
I get $50. for each 'coon I catch...do the math !
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Building live traps - 04/12/12 12:10 AM

LT I thought you got $500.00 per coon.........lol
© 2024 Trapperman Forums