Home

Anybody Deal With Turkeys

Posted By: Paul Winkelmann

Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 02:13 PM

I need to get rid of a turkey and cannot use firearms; any suggestions?
Posted By: Robb Russell

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 03:09 PM

I am sure someone in the falconry community have a simple answer for that turkey problem.

Paul I guess my first question is what do you think the turkeys attraction to the property is?

Domesticated or wild?

Is the turkey roosting in a tree on the property at night?
Is the roost within reach?
Posted By: Mike K.

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 03:12 PM

Would a brand new shiny turkey fryer sitting in your lawn act as a repellent? (I figured I'd beat someone to this)
Posted By: Budfish

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By: METRO FS
Would a brand new shiny turkey fryer sitting in your lawn act as a repellent? (I figured I'd beat someone to this)

Not sure about repellent, but it may prepare them for proper disposal. grin
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 03:51 PM

I have two videos that i made on peefowl

Also search latrappers post for the tramptrap
Posted By: Robb Russell

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 04:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Vinke
I have two videos that i made on peefowl

Also search latrappers post for the tramptrap

A very simple and interesting trap.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WildlifeServices#p/u/18/26HKK8xxXMs
Posted By: sgs

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 05:07 PM

Pellet gun.

btw, what problem is the bird causing?

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 05:25 PM

This is a wild turkey at an elderly retirement community. Half the people love it and the other half are scared Schmittless. This is an adult male that lost its harem in a fight with turkzilla. He has claimed this apartment full of old folks as his new ( and slightly used ) harem. The manager has a kill permit from the DNR. A "Don't You Dare Kill" permit from the police, and they had 6 lunatics with blowguns, dart rifles, and musky nets from the local humane society.

Here's what I consider the best part of the story. They have a coyote with a bad leg that thinks this turkey is a roadrunner. Every time the coyote goes after the turkey, it flies up to the second story balconey and then sticks its tongue out at the coyote. I did not make any of this up. I just got off the phone with the mamager. Any ideas?
Posted By: jgrimm

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 05:28 PM

I have heard Darcy Alkerton speak of using rocket nets to capture a flock for his Canadian government.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Paul Winkelmann
and cannot use firearms; any suggestions?

A bow and arrow!

looking forward to seeing how this ends..
Posted By: TJP

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 06:08 PM

Shoot just call the turtleman(I think that's his name) he just had a show where he caught a wild turkey with his bare hands using only a mirror!!
Posted By: swampdonkey

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 07:35 PM

I saw the set up Vinke had posted last year or the year before ...anyway it worked good for me to nail a peacock...might just do the same for a turkey...anyway way you can use a tranq. gun legaly were your at ??

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 07:38 PM

Forget about the tranq gun..just finished reading your post...you know...open mouth..insert foot

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 09:47 PM

swampdonkey, I'm not sure, but I bet I could borrow that humane society's tranq gun and nail it. My problem is that I could have a hundred old people chasing me around the complex. Of course, then I could rip open my shirt and reveal my own identity, OLDER PERSON.
Posted By: Budfish

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/21/12 11:31 PM

Get with a falconer about how to make a foot snare set up for birds. I think it is a bunch of monofilment snare loops tied to some type of anchor or something. Works on falcons, might be adapted for use on a single turkey.
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/22/12 12:27 AM

I have gotten a few turkeys in a 3 soft catch w dirt hole!

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/22/12 01:04 AM

What ever works Paul smile
Posted By: ProLine

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/22/12 01:18 AM

Paul, I think the turtleman is your only hope, of course you will have to provide teh corn maze, a handheld mirror and camera crew.

All you need to catch a Turkey is to know where he travels. Place a large Dog trap in his path with a large mirror (or shiny reflective panel in the back. If you use a glass mirror put it outside of the trap. Metal mirror can go inside trap. We had two pet turkeys named Thanksgiving and Christmas that lived free around our rod and gun club on the army fort I work on. The Army Photo Journalist school was also there and when a student would come by to do a school project story on our turkeys we would say sure and they would go out back to get a Picture and we would want and bet on how long it would take to hear the scream from the reporter student being attacked.
Posted By: trapperpaw

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/22/12 01:56 AM

So there was some truth in the turtlemans turkle episode. On the parks I work on sometimes a turkey gets very territorial after being acclimated to people. You need to wear tough clothing and safety glasses. Give off wimpy body language and he will attack. If you can whip you got him.
If you can't I warn you he won't let you say uncle. At our age it takes a long time for bruises and spur marks to heal and it could be embarassin... ruin your reputation maybe your business if someone posts it on utube or something.
Or you could dress up like a raspy hen but that could end up worse than the turkey stompin. I don't want to say more or this website might call me an ignoranus or something like that.
Posted By: andyva

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/22/12 02:40 AM

They have a hard time figuring out woven wire that leans toward them, they get their head through and can't figure out to back up far enough to fly over. (I know a place where the fence leans, and turkeys like to cross the road, an unscrupulous fellow might be tempted to catch one for a mess of turkey salad.) Don't grab the tail, they can do the lizard trick.
Posted By: Peskycritter

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/22/12 08:44 AM

You could build a net pen then feed them for a few days and then shut the door .this way you get the whole flock at once .one thing for sure they smarten up fast

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/22/12 02:56 PM

The netting could be bought at game bird supply store .cutlers supply is a family run outfit you can trust for all your turkey wrangling needs .they will also have a net ,kinda like a landing net ,also if you plan to transport and relocate these bird the crates should be shallow in hight if not they will jump and jump and scalp them selfs causing massive damage to the top of there head till dead ,some people might place think foam or use a more forgiving card board box
Posted By: chicken

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/22/12 04:38 PM

I would think a hoop net at the bottom of the tree...bait with corn and bird seed for a few days...when he comes in to eat...drop the net....

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/22/12 04:58 PM

Seeing that the dnr has issued a kill permit, it seems that how to get the job done really isn't the issue. Rather, how to handle the pr is.

Ask the customer what their priority is, then get it done and over with. The longer it drags out, the worse the pr will be.
Posted By: ProLine

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/22/12 05:28 PM

SGS,

You really said a lot with that statement. The quicker the better on any job with PR issues.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/24/12 01:44 AM

I have heard tales of using a old time wire coil box sping with bait i the middle.....
Posted By: p barrett

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/25/12 05:37 PM

Ido not know if its legal where you are but snares are very effective

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/25/12 07:02 PM

So Paul, how did it all turn out?

Inquiring minds want to know... wink

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/25/12 10:02 PM

Leave it to sqs to ask the right question at the right time. I took a twenty five minute ride to see for myself yesterday. Drove around in the brand new snow and finally went into the building. Never saw any tracks of anything so when I introduced myself to the gal behind the desk, she blew me away when she "Oh yeah, he's leaning against the back door".

Sure enough, here is this four foot high gobbler leaning up against this all glass door on the south side of the building. He took one look at me and the race was on. Now I don't care how much younger and faster you are, that turkey could outrun a pregnant woman looking for the ladies room. There is no way we make a nickel on this job so why can't I just let it go?

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/25/12 10:14 PM

It could be that wild turkey cut into 1 inch cubes then pan fried in butter with a little pepper added then place on a bed of rice is something to die for

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/25/12 10:19 PM

Come on now Pesky. My wife's favorite food in the whole wide world is turkey. If she reads your post I'll be running after the goofy gobbler for weeks.
Posted By: huntinjunkie

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 02/29/12 01:53 PM

Is he roosting off property where you would be able to drop him out of the tree at 1st light without an audience? Just a thought.

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 03/01/12 06:02 AM

Well turkey season is coming soon are you planning on selling any guided hunts
Posted By: LT GREY

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 03/02/12 03:55 PM

I had a HMO call me about a Tom turkey that was strutting in front of the glass door and flogging all the old women as they came out... whistle

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/27/12 02:40 AM

Paul if you would have taken my advice you would have caught that turkey. Depending on how it went after the capture on which of you got paid.
Posted By: Mike Flick

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/27/12 05:37 AM

220 with a tilted bucket set. Corn on the inside, and an apetizer outside. Go get em Paul!

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/27/12 01:33 PM

Mike. it's a retirement complex. How many times do you think I'd get called out there to remove a Conlbear from some old guys arm? Or even worse, their head.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/27/12 04:27 PM

Trotline, pm me if you need to.

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/27/12 09:01 PM

It isn't like we are starving for work Paul. Dont worry yourself about those turkies, focus on the wave of bat calls on the way and don't waste time on junk calls like this.

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/27/12 09:06 PM

I'm way ahead of you Mike. I never gave it a second thought. I just thought this was a really funny call and some of the responses were even funnier!

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/27/12 09:29 PM

I should have known Paul. LOL!

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/28/12 04:46 AM

The other Paul has been dinging me lately and I thought I made a funny post reference this turkey. I thought the funny just went under everyones head so I brought it back up.
I think it was a doable job but Paul saw the possibilities in my first post and thought to much risk for to little reward.
Posted By: pnwmtnmn

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/28/12 07:54 AM

On this sight, He is Asking if anybody deals with Turkeys...
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/29/12 10:33 PM

Nuthin to it ...... grin

Dave

A couple more gobblers ....

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/30/12 12:11 AM

Okay, I got it. Set a cage for hogs and they will come. Kind of like a field of dreams; only the wrong field.
Posted By: Davexx1

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/30/12 12:22 AM

Those darn corn stealing turkeys (and deer and coons) drive me crazy when I am working a feral wild hog control/removal program. I have caught some good bucks and gobblers this year.

Dave

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 04/30/12 01:53 AM

Dang turkeys ,had a nice Tom at 40 yards just one more step and my youngest would have had his bird tonight , this dang fox squirrel jumps up on the side of this tree and off he goes in the brush . Last time This deer caught are wind just as the Tom was about in range and off the all go . Took the other boy out 4 days ago and 7 came in to 10 yards , some feathers were flying that night . Turkey is fun
Posted By: trapper4hire

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 05/01/12 03:14 AM

The best turkey repellent I've found is me trying call in turkeys.

Re: Anybody Deal With Turkeys - 05/01/12 03:44 AM

It's funny there a differnt animal when your all in camo and a shot gun in hand
© 2024 Trapperman Forums