Home

Unstamped springs

Posted By: numb thumb

Unstamped springs - 01/20/24 01:01 AM

How important is stamped springs to the value for a trap?
Example: #5 Kenwood vg condition w/o vs with stamped?
Thank you.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: Unstamped springs - 01/20/24 02:05 AM

it depends on the rarity of the trap and what the stamps say. A lot of traps will not have a complete stamp even in ex. condition. So there's that to consider. If you can't read the stamps then chances are the condition of the trap itself is not as good as it could be which is the real key to value. As far as putting an actual value on a stamped trap vs. not it depends on who is buying it. Some collectors only collect stamped springs others not as much. Then there are those that clean the springs to read a stamp which disturbs the patina and devalues the trap.
If you are asking about a specific trap post photos of it. As far as very good grade most likely you cannot read the stamp.

Re: Unstamped springs - 01/20/24 02:20 AM

Just getting into collecting. Do not have a specific trap in mind.
I really like a good even patina. Cleaned would be
a turnoff. I like the stamped springs. Was wanting an idea as to how much difference in price between stamped and unstamped.
Thank you for your reply.
Posted By: lots of mink

Re: Unstamped springs - 01/20/24 07:13 AM

It can (but not always) increase the price by double.
If a kenwood 5 is just in ok shape and sells for 800$ if the same trap had well struck springs it quite often could do 1500$.

Re: Unstamped springs - 01/20/24 07:16 AM

If it had a special spring stamping it could go even higher. Romes also add to the value. So do the springs forged verses machined.

Re: Unstamped springs - 01/20/24 07:19 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here’s one of mine. Without the stamps this would probably be a 1000$. With the stamps it has its worth considerably more.

Re: Unstamped springs - 01/20/24 11:22 AM

Thank you. That helps a lot.
Posted By: 4zebra61

Re: Unstamped springs - 01/20/24 12:08 PM

Very nice, lots of mink!

Re: Unstamped springs - 01/20/24 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by lots of mink
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Here’s one of mine. Without the stamps this would probably be a 1000$. With the stamps it has its worth considerably more.

The stamping on the springs are exceptional and very difficult to find like that. If you hold out for one like it you will be looking for a very long time.

Re: Unstamped springs - 01/21/24 12:13 AM

I'll try to be realistic in my journey to trap collecting.
That brings up another question. How to find traps for the collection.
Probably sounds like a dumb question but. Do most save for conventions and sports shows. Don't have alot of faith in eBay due to past experiences. I do go to yard sales and auctions when I can but
99 percent of the time it's a bust

Re: Unstamped springs - 01/21/24 03:08 AM

If you can make it to nta, fta, the natca swapmeets or Sydney you will see so many traps it will blow your mind.

Re: Unstamped springs - 01/21/24 06:11 PM

I would recommend you join the North American Trap Collectors Association and go to their meets.

https://northamericantraps.com/

Also the National Trappers Association meet will have lots of sellers of collectible traps.

Re: Unstamped springs - 01/21/24 09:49 PM

I will join in the near future. Think Ill try to make to the nta
Never been to south Dakota so I can see new country and spend time looking at traps.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums