Home

Interesting chain

Posted By: wissmiss

Interesting chain - 09/28/21 06:23 AM

I came across this section of chain while I was sorting a box of traps. I was hoping some one could tell me more about it.

I’ve seen chain like the flat links on various traps but the 3 round links are something new.

Thanks [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: Interesting chain - 09/28/21 03:59 PM

Nancy,
Your chain is a section of a cow tie made by Oneida Community. Here is a page from their 1904 catalog.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Interesting chain - 09/28/21 05:05 PM

And once again snakecollector has the answer with documentation!! Thanks

That chain is super cool and since I grew up on a dairy farm, I think I will hang on to,it, even though I don’t think we ever used chain like that.

Thanks again for sharing your vast knowledge and resources.
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: Interesting chain - 09/29/21 11:28 AM

Thanks for the info Dean... I have one of those round links and was never sure what it was for. Also have a different style farm chain that I'm guessing might be OC.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: lots of mink

Re: Interesting chain - 10/02/21 01:52 AM

OC had a hardware catalog they made and sold many manufacturerd items and components. Most of it was chain bulk, calf ties, horse halters, dog leashes. In 1924 or 25 OCL sold their remaining chain business to Dominion chain.
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: Interesting chain - 10/02/21 04:51 AM

Mike,
The Oneida Community sold its U.S. and Canadian chain businesses to the American Chain Company, formerly, the Weed Chain Tire Grip Company, in 1912. In 1913 the American Chain Company formed the Dominion Chain Company to handle it's Canadian business. Oneida Community sold it's mouse and rat trap business in 1924 and it's steel trap business in Feb. 1925.
Posted By: lots of mink

Re: Interesting chain - 10/06/21 05:53 AM

I come across some different info than that (dates) up here but it all ties together. Did you know that the dominion chain factory was right beside the onieda community factory in Niagara Falls Ontario ? The article I read said onieda community kept one or two different chains for their use and sold all the others and the machinery to make it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums