Home

Blake and Lamb question. (Pics added)

Posted By: backroadsarcher

Blake and Lamb question. (Pics added) - 06/13/21 05:48 PM

I picked up 3 Blake and Lamb dbl lngs. 1 of them has a #3 pan on which I would say is correct. The other show #2 1/2 on the pan. Everything I find is they only made the 2 1/2 in a single long spring. These traps all seem to be the same size appr. Was there a 2 1/2 dbl long spring made?
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: Blake and Lamb question. - 06/13/21 08:12 PM

The definition of the #2 1/2 is, a #3 with only one spring. It is possible that a spring was added, or they could be factory substitute pans.

Re: Blake and Lamb question. - 06/13/21 08:24 PM

I would think the springs would be hard to put on the jaw tips have a pretty good hook on them. There really isnt much difference in value between the two is there?
Posted By: henpecked1

Re: Blake and Lamb question. - 06/14/21 04:01 PM

Do the traps with the 2 1/2 pan have a wing nut adjustable pan and are the jaws exactly the same as the one with the number 3 pan.

Re: Blake and Lamb question. - 06/14/21 10:10 PM

The jaws are the same but no wing nut. Dont know if the 2 1/2 pans were added to the #3's or if there was an extra spring added. The trap are very strong and in good shape. I am thinking I might sell them but dont know if I should remove 1 spring from the traps with the 2 1/2 pans or sell them as #3's with the pans as add on.

Re: Blake and Lamb question. - 06/14/21 11:51 PM

Heres a couple of pictures of one.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Blake and Lamb question. - 06/15/21 04:04 PM

The trap in the picture is a humped cross, which means it is a newer model B&L. The newer model B&L traps were made by Animal Trap Company. Same folks that made Victor traps. Newer model B&L traps are very similar to Victor with the main difference being the pan.

The newer B&L # 2 1/2 longs had symmetrical jaws - as per the picture. That made adding a spring very easy.

Original # 2 1/2 had asymmetrical jaws, with the side opposite the chain being very curved. That made adding another spring difficult because the added on spring would ride up on the jaws.

Re: Blake and Lamb question. - 06/15/21 09:50 PM

Is the chain on this trap correct. Did they come with the swivel. Or was there a trap chain ring like most traps back in that time. They are newer traps the pans are stamped Hawkins Co. The springs on this trap and the others like it have bumps in the spring by the top spring eye on the bottom side, 1 on each side of the eye. These are the only traps I have seen with that.
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: Blake and Lamb question. - 07/14/21 08:13 PM

I have seen enough 2 1/2 pans on the B&l #3 longs to believe they came from the factory like that.
That should be the correct chain for that model but they came with rings.
The spring "bumps' are common on most modern longsprings, Yours maybe got struck a little harder than most..
© 2024 Trapperman Forums