Home

S. Newhouse #5 Kenwood Bear Trap

Posted By: livingwell

S. Newhouse #5 Kenwood Bear Trap - 07/06/19 10:56 AM

Hello,
I'm new to the forum and hoping for help with a question. I have an S.Newhouse #5 Kenwood bear trap that has a bolt through the cross below the pan on the tapered end (see photo). It appears to be period correct with a square head bolt and nut. I have not come across a photo of any others with this modification. Would anyone out there know it's purpose? Is it a modification or were some of them made that way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. [Linked Image]
Thanks,
livingwell

Attached picture IMG_20190628_085036685.jpg
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: S. Newhouse #5 Kenwood Bear Trap - 07/06/19 07:30 PM

The bolt is a trapper modification, not factory. I am not sure of the purpose.

Dean

Re: S. Newhouse #5 Kenwood Bear Trap - 07/07/19 10:40 AM

Thanks Dean,
Paul
Posted By: henpecked1

Re: S. Newhouse #5 Kenwood Bear Trap - 07/09/19 02:15 PM

Might be for a pan tension device, flat stick under pan resting on the bolt, keep the trap from tripping while being set on land. In 50 years a HTT, Woodcock tried to set in springs so he did not have the issue of covering the trap.

Re: S. Newhouse #5 Kenwood Bear Trap - 07/10/19 11:25 AM

Thanks for the reply Henpecked1, makes sense. Could you please enlighten me on HTT meaning?
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: S. Newhouse #5 Kenwood Bear Trap - 07/10/19 01:42 PM

"50 years a HTT" is a book, "Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper: Experiences and Observations of E. N. Woodcock, the Noted Hunter and Trapper". He just added an extra T, HTT is "Hunter Trader Trapper" magazine.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: S. Newhouse #5 Kenwood Bear Trap - 07/10/19 11:16 PM

Couldn't you use the jaw instead of the bolt just as easily for the stick to rest on a pan tension device? A rock could be used just the same under the edge of the pan. I just don't see what that bolt could possibly be doing?.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums