Home

Sellers Remorse

Posted By: DiggerDale

Sellers Remorse - 04/22/19 09:35 PM

Anybody ever sell a trap and wish you had it back????
I recently saw a craigslist add and there in the bunch was one that fit right into that category for me.
Spent most of a day chasing it down.
It goes against what most collectors look for. It's pitted, it's rusty, no idea who made it, can't be dated...
And of course I had to pay more than what I sold it for....

BUT IT IS MINE AGAIN... grin grin grin

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/22/19 10:10 PM

Very cool Dale. Someone gave those rivets a real whack or two.

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by cohunt
Very cool Dale. Someone gave those rivets a real whack or two.

Jim, as many traps as you've sold, there must be a few haunting you.
Matter of fact, I read somewhere about traps that have sold over a million a year. If I remember right it was VICTOR with the 110 conibear,,, GIBBS with the two trigger, and YOU with collector traps... wink

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 01:00 AM

Out of the dozen or so traps that I actually HAVE sold in my lifetime, I can think of a couple that I would also like back.
Posted By: crowheart

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 01:40 AM

I have done it with guns and bear traps! frown

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 01:45 AM

Oh Darn It... I had almost forgot about the guns...
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 02:17 AM

You people are sick. smile
Posted By: trapper48

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 03:38 AM

Oh please!! Don't even get me started on dumping guns and collector traps, man the early 70's were costly for me....
From what I remember of it !
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 10:27 AM

I can't think of any traps I regret selling (at least not off the top of my head) but I can think of at least 2 that I regret not buying. frown. Both were at auctions, bidding was higher than I thought it would be, money was a bit tight both times and I dropped out. Next bid bought them. Been kicking myself ever since on one of them.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 11:19 AM

Digger can you give us some info on your trap? Looks like a remodeled #4 Newhouse???

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
Been kicking myself ever since on one of them.

Could you divulge what trap so we can kick you too..... laugh

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by MChewk
Digger can you give us some info on your trap? Looks like a remodeled #4 Newhouse???

The trap has no makers mark and no history that I know of except I bought it in southern Minnesota the first time and northern Minnesota the second time..
It is real close in size and construction to a #5 Newhouse..
All hand made except maybe the jawpost nuts.
If it had a round pan, I could claim I have Sewells first #5 prototype.... Or it could be the earliest FAKE ever made..
[Linked Image]
Posted By: MChewk

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 03:40 PM

Thanks...amazing workmanship!
Posted By: 4zebra61

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 05:02 PM

I can see why you rebought it, neat trap!
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/23/19 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by DiggerDale
Originally Posted by wissmiss
Been kicking myself ever since on one of them.

Could you divulge what trap so we can kick you too..... laugh

I'm an old lady. I couldn't take that much kicking!! LOL
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/24/19 12:28 AM

Dale, that is a cool trap. I can see why you wanted it back.
I am no trap collector, but have sold a couple of guns over the years that I wish I had not. I did however not buy a trap once, and have kicked myself over it for almost a year now. My daughter and I have a fair collection of Sterling made traps. We have become friends with both Glen and Jr the last few years and have kind of started a collection, heck maybe I am a trap collector. crazyAt the last FTA, Jr. had donated an 800 with commemorative pan for the auction. I was bidding on it with intention of taking it home, but I quit bidding to soon. If I had it to do again that other fella (MZ) may have still took it home, but I would have bid a few more times. I took it as a lesson learned and now I determine how badly I want something and set a max before hand, no more thinking on the fly at auctions again for me. grin

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/24/19 01:26 AM

Dale: Quit teasing these folks. Hit us with some details such as that thick bar of iron for a base plate and the swells in the crosspiece caused by the riveteers pounding. And more please.

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/24/19 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by trapper48
Oh please!! Don't even get me started on dumping guns and collector traps, man the early 70's were costly for me....
From what I remember of it !

Priorities were far different back then. And I am sure some of those priorities were not conducive to good memory.. crazy

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/24/19 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by cohunt
Dale: Quit teasing these folks. Hit us with some details such as that thick bar of iron for a base plate and the swells in the crosspiece caused by the riveteers pounding. And more please.

You got a pretty good eye for such an old timer.
I am curious to know what traps you would like to have back.
I just hope it's not the ones your missus sold me while you were out galavanting at the MN. Trappers Convention....

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/24/19 01:52 AM

So that's where all my good stuff went! I thought someone just walked off with them since there was very little in my cash box. Seriously, I think the traps I regret letting go the worst were several Hawley clutch traps, several Taylor set guns, some early stag horn clamps, some Hart and Standish long springs and some very early Blake Lamb traps that I now chase after. Just as trapper48 said up above, the 70s were a great time for me finding stuff but I let most slip through my fingers.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Sellers Remorse - 04/24/19 12:55 PM

That's not pitted I can show you pitting LOL.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums