Home

Newhouse setting clamps

Posted By: mike mc murray

Newhouse setting clamps - 11/06/18 05:18 AM

Does anyone know the manufacturing dates of the Oval wrap around clamp and the Oval top any info would be appreciated thanks
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 11/06/18 04:03 PM

Mike, The steer horn clamp is illustrated in the Oneida Community catalogs into 1910, then the illustration changes to the oval top clamp. I have not seen any documentation on the wrap around clamp but I assume that it was the first model of the oval top until they realized that it was not necessary to spend the extra time and material for the wrap.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 11/06/18 04:57 PM

Thanks Dean...I was just wanting to make sure I was matching my clamps up with the right era of traps
Posted By: vegasjim

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 11/08/18 07:00 PM

Are the clamps marked in any way?

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 11/08/18 09:29 PM

The Oval tops that I have are not marked,my steer horn clamps are marked with a 5 for the #5 trap a 6 for the #6 trap

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 11/09/18 03:45 AM

Thanks Mike!
Posted By: Muskrat Love

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 11/10/18 10:41 PM

Just came upon this thread..... Great info on the difference between the steer horn and the two different ovals. I have a smaller one that, I'm assuming, is for a #4 size trap.

I tried to post pics but having trouble.

Art

Attached picture image.jpeg

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 11/11/18 01:19 AM

So Newhouse is not stamped on them anywhere?

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 11/11/18 05:14 AM

The Newhouse setting clamps are not marked with a name. The earlier ones do have the size embossed on them. The #4 and 5 size clamps in Muskrats photo are Newhouse but the larger, #6 size clamp is not, probably a Herters. Notice the long neck on the screw handle, the Newhouse clamps are short. I have not seen a Newhouse, tear drop #6 clamp, only #4 and 5. The ATC, Newhouse #6 size clamps all have the oval or round top.

The Newhouse clamps have a narrower spin on the back as well as a shorter neck on the screw handle.
[Linked Image]

Some Newhouse clamps, all but the tear drop #6 clamp, it is most likely Herters. Also note that on the steer horn clamps, there is a narrow model for the forged spring traps and a wide model for the machine spring that have a wider neck. In this photo, the #6 steer horn and the #5 next to it are the wide model and the #5 steer horn on the right is the narrow model. .
[Linked Image]

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 11/11/18 06:44 AM

Awesome. Thank you.
Posted By: Okiecntry

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 11/26/18 03:34 PM

I just purchased this on e-bay and was wondering if it might be a Newhouse or if it might be a later reproduction? It wasn't listed as a trap clamp and I got it really cheap even if it is a reproduction.

Thanks!

[Linked Image]

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 11/26/18 04:32 PM

Not Newhouse, see my post above.
Posted By: Okiecntry

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 11/26/18 06:07 PM

Thanks snakecollector! You have an awesome collector there. I only paid $15.99 and that includes shipping so it will look okay hanging up with my Newhouse #5. Only a few people will know the difference (probably none that will visit my house). LOL
Posted By: safari

Re: Newhouse setting clamps - 10/16/21 01:53 PM

hello, i would like to know what the measurements are on a #6 steer horn trap clamp base is on the narrow and wide models. what is the value for a #6 steer horn? a #5 wrap around oval top and a #5 regular oval top? were any clamps made with the standing bear stamp? all clamps are in nice shape. thanks randy
© 2024 Trapperman Forums