Home

Any information??

Posted By: Mike Cope

Any information?? - 10/15/18 12:22 PM

I got these pictures form a friend, He got the trap in a large lot. Neither of us have seen any before and he has been dealing in used trap for 30 years.

Cast jaws Victor Pan No4 LS....Dogless

Posted By: snakecollector

Re: Any information?? - 10/15/18 02:45 PM

I have not seen these before. That pan would be from the 1920's. Hard to see in the photos if it is a trapper mod or a factory production, looks similar to the Triumph pan attachment but dogless.

Re: Any information?? - 10/16/18 06:10 PM

More Pictures.

Re: Any information?? - 10/16/18 08:20 PM

It looks to be factory, must have been an experimental design.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Any information?? - 10/17/18 08:58 PM

That's crazy, never saw anything like that before. Wonder why there were so many steps and grooves on the bottom and the extra pin?
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: Any information?? - 10/17/18 09:08 PM

This is my fourth time coming back to look at this trap. It is QUITE interesting. I'm thinking that is a HUMP cross without the hump, shortened, and split. Sure would like to have it and a standard one in hand at the same time to compare.
I'm leaning towards a trapper modification done really really well!!!!!

Re: Any information?? - 10/18/18 12:57 AM

Curiosity got the best of me. I found a humped #4 cross from that time period and did a little fabricating. And Wallah!!!! Didn't have to go any further.

On the one above the pan rivet wasn't factory punched which led me to think trapper mod. Still very nicely done in my opinion. Also looks like the pan shank is formed to stop on the end rivet to act as an anti pan break...
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Any information?? - 10/18/18 02:18 AM

Dale, you are amazing. What are your thoughts about the pan shank? Appears to have been hand made also?

Re: Any information?? - 10/18/18 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: cohunt
Dale, you are amazing. What are your thoughts about the pan shank. Appears to have been hand made also?

I don't know any Dale here that's amazing, but I think the pan shank was hand made too.

But about the time I give an opinion on this trap, a handfull of them will show up and and it will be decided that they are (like snakecollector said) a rare factory order... crazy

Re: Any information?? - 10/18/18 02:38 AM

A big thank you to Horn for taking the time to post some pictures. I for one really enjoy seeing traps like that... Dale

Re: Any information?? - 10/18/18 02:30 PM

Good call Dale, I recognized the nubs from the humped cross. That also leaves plenty of material to hinge the pan shank. A well done mod.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Any information?? - 10/18/18 09:24 PM

It's a very cool modification. Great explanation in showing that. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Any information?? - 10/20/18 11:56 AM

Thanks for taking the time to share the information.
Posted By: Bruce1

Re: Any information?? - 01/20/19 12:40 AM

agree factory, may be prototype, cool any way'
© 2024 Trapperman Forums