Home

Newhouse info?

Posted By: dwillie

Newhouse info? - 10/11/16 03:10 PM

hello. New to the forum, and I am not really a forum person. So if I am stepping on any toes, please delete this drivel.
I am into blacksmith made stuff, and have a few old frontier made traps. I recently found this Newhouse #50 in a group of stuff, and dont know much. Other than the basics. The stamps on the springs are hard to read. And I dont know if this clevis is something that would have been a Newhouse product?. Is there an approximate date of manufacture? Or a known person who made it? And an approximate value?
Sorry to be naive. Just curious.

Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Newhouse info? - 10/11/16 03:21 PM

Nice find. Made prior to 1925 by the factory at Oneida Community, NY. A "mass produced" trap for that era, so not made by a specific person.

Value - $300.00 or more. Depending on condition and how badly a collector needs one for his collection.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: Newhouse info? - 10/11/16 04:36 PM

Welcome to Trapperman, dwillie! You will find out a lot about those traps here.

Moosetrot
Posted By: longbow31

Re: Newhouse info? - 10/11/16 08:52 PM

Sure looks like the jaw posts did a number on your car hood lol! Nice trap
Posted By: Nhousecattrapper

Re: Newhouse info? - 10/12/16 12:10 AM

Condition is everything when pricing a collector trap. Your trap was made between 1894-95 up until 1911. I have always found the #50 Oneida Communities were harder to find than the #50 Kenwoods, which were produced prior to yours, or the #50 Pat Date which was produced after yours. The trap is complete with the ring. Someone over the years added the U clevis, which is not Newhouse but does add to the trap, so leave it on there. The trap appears to have heavy deep pitting on the point of the cross, as well as the springs look to be quite pitted. The little v groove in the pan by the N in Oneida is more than likely a trappers mark and would not bother me with it being there. The #50 OC's range in the $400 range, to one in super mint condition upwards of $1500 with the later price being a trap that has seen very little if any use and is factory mint with excellent metal quality so do not get that figure fixed on your eye and miss the rest of the post value wise. Your trap should fall in the $500 - $600 range give or take on both ends depending on what the rest of the trap looks like, such as post nuts, teeth, any repairs, and other factors which will lower the value considerably if there are other problems.
Posted By: dwillie

Re: Newhouse info? - 10/12/16 12:58 PM

Thanks all for the comments and info. it is much appreciated.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums