Home

What trap started your collection?

Posted By: peaver

What trap started your collection? - 04/14/16 12:55 PM

Thoght it would be cool to see how guys started their trap collections.......not user traps ,but your antique/collectables...My first was a no 3 cast jaw triumph dls,and a 14 victor jump given to me by my uncle....what did everyone start with?
Posted By: ringtail 60

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/14/16 02:12 PM

#114 OC, given to me as a gift.
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/14/16 02:57 PM

My first collector trap was a #3 Eclipse, I saw it in a second hand store in 1983 and had to have it. Then I had to know what it was and the history.
Posted By: cascade

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/14/16 03:06 PM

A number five slickpan, my wife bought at a local antique store.
Posted By: Okiecntry

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/14/16 07:14 PM

A couple old traps that were my dad's. They are not exactly collectors but more wall hangers. An old dogless Montgomery that has a .22 bullet dent in one jaw where he either missed or shot through something and a #3 Victor longspring. Nothing special about either one other than the sentimental value. Now I have a pile of "collector" traps in the garage that I need to go though and decide what to keep and what to sale. I'm really trying to concentrate on #0s and traps with teeth but I have a bunch that don't fit in either category. I believe trap collecting is a sickness.
Posted By: Pat_tc

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/14/16 07:34 PM

My Dad left me a Hudson Bay 41AX, a 4.5 Newhouse Wolf Trap and two no 4 Newhouses. About 2 years ago I was thinking of selling them on Ebay but then I seen some other traps I thought would be nice to have and it all started then. I still have those traps along with about 250 more I bought since. Running out of room. I'll have to sell some of mine too.
Posted By: longbow31

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/14/16 08:46 PM

I found a victor trap with the butterfly dog on it and no pan. I thought it was different and got to asking questions about it (on here I believe). That is when my very expensive and addicting hobby started. I owe a lot of the heartache to Bruce (Newhousecattrapper).
Posted By: longbow31

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/14/16 08:55 PM

Oh, and I was going to put this on the Trap Shed, but if anyone knows where I can find a deeper wallet I would be much appreciative laugh
Posted By: bigmac2

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/14/16 10:01 PM

I guess I started maybe ten years ago by sending away for every trap catalogue in Fur Fish and Game. Then ordering every oddball trap (Lamb Saver Trapmaster ect...) I saw in them. I didn't know anyone collected old traps. I ran on to some Diamond #21s at a flea market and the guy gave me a flyer for American Trap Collectors and that was it. My savings account has never been the same.
Posted By: wheelers

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/14/16 11:57 PM

Number 2 Eclipse my inlaws bought me in Arizona about 35 years ago. I think they paid 10.00.
Posted By: Marten1

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/15/16 12:12 AM

Mine was a Triumph Three-Jaw. Belonged to my granddad.
Posted By: Bruce1

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/15/16 12:21 AM

Grandmother gave me 1 1/2 cortland,#2 cooper clutch, # 2 cooper Barrel trap,and 215x Triumph around 40 years back.Told me to go and start trapping.Thanks Gram she lived to 96 years.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/15/16 05:33 AM

Bruce,

Your grandmother gave you a great start to your trap collection. Cortlands are not easy to come by. Did you actually trap with that trap?
Posted By: Bruce1

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/15/16 11:50 AM

No , I knew that they were old, was afraid of them being stolen or lost
Posted By: peaver

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/15/16 01:39 PM

Originally Posted By: longbow31
Oh, and I was going to put this on the Trap Shed, but if anyone knows where I can find a deeper wallet I would be much appreciative laugh
you need to wear 2 wallets...one in each back pocket....that helps with a lot of back problems too caused by sitting croocked on one fat wallet
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/15/16 02:02 PM

Two NH 114s and a 14. Now getting a few more here and there. There is a great antique place near me that gets stuff in. He lets me pick through stuff whenever he gets new stuff in
Posted By: jhunter15

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/15/16 08:20 PM

First one was a #14 Newhouse
Posted By: bonehunter7

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/20/16 06:28 PM

Started by buying a pair of #14 Newhouse,
Posted By: jhunter15

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/21/16 04:07 PM

And then for some reason I got hooked on the bear traps....expensive grin
Posted By: kevtrap

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/21/16 05:08 PM

I went to a farm auction and bought a bundle of oddballs because I thought they looked neat. There was a 41 victor doublegrip, a Victor doubleshot, 51 diamond walloper and others. That was 30 years ago and I still haven't been cured of this disease. And I hope I never am cured.
Posted By: Nhousecattrapper

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/21/16 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: kevtrap
I went to a farm auction and bought a bundle of oddballs because I thought they looked neat. There was a 41 victor doublegrip, a Victor doubleshot, 51 diamond walloper and others. That was 30 years ago and I still haven't been cured of this disease. And I hope I never am cured.

"It's not a hobby. it's a disease".
Posted By: ringtail 60

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/21/16 10:51 PM

Very true Bruce,you warned me.
Posted By: Mike in A-town

Re: What trap started your collection? - 04/23/16 04:37 AM

I don't have much of a collection. I always look at the traps I find in flea markets. If I find one that I haven't seen before, I'll buy it. If the price is right...

So far just a #14 Newhouse and a Victor 21.5 "shoulder catch."

I knew the Newhouse would have some collector value, but I just thought it was cool. The 21.5 was just something I had never seen so I bought it.

Mike
Posted By: Elkguy

Re: What trap started your collection? - 05/02/16 08:37 PM

#14 Newhouse for me too. Something about traps with teeth that blows what little hair I have back. Especially offset with teeth.
Posted By: *AceTrapper*

Re: What trap started your collection? - 05/03/16 11:34 PM

14 Victor for me as well, only mine are made of a different material.

Posted By: No.4

Re: What trap started your collection? - 05/05/16 01:54 PM

It was either a Triumph Kangaroo No.1-XK Triple Clutch or a Gibbs Two Trigger. I might have gotten them both at the same time, but can't remember for sure.
Posted By: herm

Re: What trap started your collection? - 05/10/16 11:46 AM

Mine were old traps that I set out on creeks that were stolen. I finally stopped setting out traps that I knew had collector value and started collecting them and hanging them on a wall at my camp.
Posted By: No.4

Re: What trap started your collection? - 05/10/16 01:32 PM

Acetrapper, What is that trap made out of?
Posted By: 4zebra61

Re: What trap started your collection? - 05/10/16 01:42 PM

Mine was a # 81 Newhouse that I acquired with a bunch of other # 1 Victors in about 1964 for muskrat trapping. I just thought at the time it was just a different type of trap, with no thought of what I had. Set these out in some rather high theft areas and it survived.
Posted By: *AceTrapper*

Re: What trap started your collection? - 05/13/16 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: No.4
Acetrapper, What is that trap made out of?

Maple
Posted By: Boco

Re: What trap started your collection? - 06/21/16 11:48 AM

This old newhouse beartrap started my collection.I don't go out of my way to buy and sell,but I keep my eyes and ears open and buy when something turns up locally.
I kind of like the bear and wolftraps,but will pick up anything odd like this Milan Novak footsnare from the 70's still in the bag.
Posted By: cascade

Re: What trap started your collection? - 06/22/16 04:12 AM

Great looking slick pan five Boco.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: What trap started your collection? - 07/13/16 02:17 AM

A number 0 and a number 1 victor jump trap got them for fixing a 1800s hand forged trap
Posted By: skorittnig1977

Re: What trap started your collection? - 07/13/16 03:00 AM

That slick is a beauty Boco!
Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: What trap started your collection? - 07/19/16 11:23 PM

My great grandfather's 23 Sargent,I don't really collect It's more accumulate what I like.
Posted By: thskeer

Re: What trap started your collection? - 07/20/16 11:54 AM

Many years ago was given a Tree Trap. Sadly I sold everything to Oscar Cronk when I enlisted in the Marine Corps. Not long ago I decided to collect a few. I have a NH 4 1\2 on my desk I got as a gift, and now I'm at it again.

It is like alcoholism- you cant just try it again- you are hooked as soon as you start, whether it is the first, or next, time!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums