Home

THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition

Posted By: krumui

THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 01/28/16 04:19 AM

The second revised edition of THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE by Parr and Andreski is now available. There are 252 pages, 52 more than the first addition. Trap values have been upgraded and 52 additional pages have been added. I just got mine today and have spent a couple hours reading the added information. If you would want to order you can obtain one by contacting Tom Parr, Po Box 94, Galloway, OH. 43119. Cost is $46 shipped.
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 01/28/16 10:38 PM

Oh Boy!!! You're making life tough for me krumui.....I ordered one for a fellow trap accumulator and it's sitting on my table still packaged. I have to wait till he swings by on Saturday before I get to take a look to see if I need to upgrade. It's been tempting me to no end and your post doesn't help the situation.

Anybody know how to remove tape from a priority envelope so there is no damage?????
Posted By: traphound

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 01/28/16 10:52 PM

great book,if you collect triumphs you can't be without this one.
Posted By: trappertom52

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 01/29/16 02:23 PM

Disappointed in it. The triumph section was the highlight of the entire book.
Posted By: No.4

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 01/29/16 07:56 PM

Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 01/30/16 12:11 AM

If somebody is interested in a trap price and reference guide, is this THE book? I buy and sell a lot of antiques and have shied away from collector traps because I really don't know enough about them.

Moosetrot
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 01/30/16 02:32 AM

In my opinion, this book by Andreski & Parr is probably the best trap price guide on the market. You will never find a price guide that is perfect.

The price guides put together by Froedelius & Burt were very good in their time but they haven't been updated for several decades.

There are other price guides on the market but I personally don't think much of them.

The Andreski-Parr book also contains a lot of other information besides prices. I have a copy of the new edition but have not had to check it out.

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/03/16 11:43 PM

Lots more information besides the TRIUMPH section. GOVERNMENT, HANDFORGED, BLAKE & LAMB, to name a few. I think it is well worth the dollars to upgrade from the original. I just hope the pages stay glued in better than the first.

Only thing I didn't care for was some of the upgraded trap prices. All the traps I've let go have increased in value and all that I've kept have decreased. wink wink wink
Posted By: pineywoods

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/04/16 07:42 AM

Very disappointed in the book. All the articles on unusual & rare items were unclaimed and didn't say where they got the information.

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/05/16 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: pineywoods
Very disappointed in the book. All the articles on unusual & rare items were unclaimed and didn't say where they got the information.

Well then send it to me!..... I never find unusual or rare items anyway....

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/05/16 01:26 AM

Send you what?????????
Posted By: trappertom52

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/05/16 01:49 AM

Gave mine away the same day I got it.

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/05/16 02:23 AM

I like the books by Robert Vance. Especially the autographed copies that I received from Ed Hutzel. What a guy ... cool

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/05/16 07:00 AM

Originally Posted By: crispy
I like the books by Robert Vance. .......... ... cool

Really?? Very interesting comment........................

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/05/16 08:31 AM

Originally Posted By: wissmiss
Originally Posted By: crispy
I like the books by Robert Vance. .......... ... cool

Really?? Very interesting comment........................

Why .... do you not like yours?

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/05/16 12:56 PM

No.

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/05/16 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: wissmiss
No.

Well, then why is my comment so interesting? Just a little confused is all .... frown ??

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/05/16 04:16 PM

I am disappointed in the price guide because of some of the things that is written about the history of traps. As for as pricing, i will still take it over Vance's books. There is no rime or reason to the pricing in either book.
Posted By: PA TRAPPER

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/13/16 11:49 PM

With today's technology I would think putting together a price guide would be easier than in the past,There is enough reference out there with ebay,Sidney etc.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/16/16 02:31 AM

Never owned a trap guide in my life but my birthday is coming up. Does the new book have plenty of pictures that will be of help to a beginner?

Moosetrot

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/16/16 04:17 AM

No doubt about it. You will be pleased. The best available.

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/16/16 06:58 AM

The Andreski & Parr trap collector price guide does have some pictures, full trap and also pan close ups. Also otherbuseful info, like when the traps were made.

If you really want to get into trap collecting, you will need 2 books - the price guide mentioned in this thread and 'The Steel Trap in North America' by Richard Gerstell. That second book is a hardback book, 300 pages, lots of pictures. Talks about all the brands of traps made in North America from the early 1800s until 1983. It is not a price guide, just history, so it will not go out of date. That book will cost you $45.00 to $60.00 but it is money well spent if you like older traps.
Posted By: Pat_tc

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/16/16 07:33 PM

Does anyone have or seen the book: Waymon Vest's "S. Newhouse Traps & The Oneida Community". I see it for sale and was wondering if it would be worth picking up in addition to the Parr and Gerstell books.
Posted By: PA TRAPPER

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/18/16 01:31 AM

Pat
I have Waymons book it is a very good book on Newhouse information,my collection would be lost without it.
Posted By: skorittnig1977

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/27/16 03:55 AM

Wow-- I just received my Trap Collectors Guide today, and it's very nice. I don't own the previous edition- so I'm not sure what is new or carried over from he previous edition. One thing I can say is the pictures are very helpful, and there seems to be quite a lot of interesting history and other useful info. About the traps--- a real value at $40.
Posted By: jcj

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/27/16 10:50 PM

Is there a number to call to order the book?

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 02/27/16 11:53 PM

Blaise Andreski at 906-265-3958

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 03/01/16 02:00 AM

Called him and he said the best place to get it is ebay. No more on there right now. Any other options out there to he puts some more on ebay.

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 03/01/16 03:42 AM

Just got one.
Posted By: Diggdug

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 03/01/16 11:18 AM

I love the book! Lots of great information and pictures. Price guides are just that, a guide. Prices change constantly but you will get a ball-park figure that is usually within a few dollars. The Vance books don't even compare to Parr/Andreski
Posted By: garart

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 03/04/16 04:27 PM

I just received my copy of the book/guide. This is going to be a great help to me sorting through a big tote of collectors I have in my shed [I know that's not where they belong]. I've had the Gerstell book for many years and this book complements it, especially with the Triumph section. A MUST investment in my opinion. Gary.

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 03/04/16 04:47 PM

I heard that there's soon to be a special, third edition of the book coming out. The new cover, supposedly, features a picture of Tom Parr and Ed Hutzel, together, holding one of Ed's traps, and shaking hands. Now that would be something worth collecting!
Posted By: garart

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 03/04/16 05:05 PM

In the new guide [pg.177] on Government traps, Dan Van Schaik says he hopes to publish his work on government traps. I'm looking foreward to this book as well. He seems very well versed on them. Gary.
Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: THE TRAP COLLECTORS GUIDE-Second Edition - 03/05/16 08:06 PM

I've read some Dan Van Schaik articles in TRAPS magazine. I see him at
rendezvous. He's the real deal on Govt. traps.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums