Home

Forged bear trap value?

Posted By: Rudymoe

Forged bear trap value? - 07/29/15 03:32 PM

Hi, I'm new here so please forgive me for being somewhat technically challenged on the computer. I have a hand forged bear trap that has been in the family for well over 100 yrs, it was used by my grandfather and his father. it measures 32" from leaf spring tip to leaf spring tip. The jaw opening is 10.5" wide X 14" with 6 teeth forged in to the jaws, the chain and swivels is 21" with a 3 prong grappling hook attached. there are no markings any place to indicate the maker. I'm 72 yrs old and find it is time to start getting things in order and get rid of the unused. I was wondering if anyone had any idea of it's possible value or is it something to just nail to the barn door? I realize that a picture would be a big help but figuring out how to post one seems to be way over my head, if anyone would be interested in helping me I'm sure I could send pics in an email, My e mail is rgmoe@yahoo.com.

Thanks, Rudy
Posted By: PaulB

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 07/29/15 04:22 PM

There is a row of small boxes right above the place you typed your message,,,the fifth box from the left has a blue arrow pointing up,,,click on that,,then a screen that has the word browse ,,,click on that,,then add the picture from your files by clicking on the picture or file name of your picture,,,then a new screen will appear that has add file click on that and then click on all done,,,your picture will then show in your posting box,,,click preview post before you submit to verify your picture is in your post,,,and yes I am sure yor bear trap has value,,,maybe more than you think,,,
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 07/29/15 05:39 PM

Your bear trap has value, could be quite a bit. Pictures are going to be essentially in determining value.

A word of advise - DO NOT do anything to the trap. Leave it just the way it is. Don't clean it. Dont dye it. Do NOTHING.

The mistake folks make is thinking they need to remove the rust. Old traps are supposed to be rusty. It is called patina.

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 07/29/15 10:13 PM

Thanks for the info, It currently has some kind of silver/grey paint on it which it has had on for as long as I have had it, being 62 yrs the paint itself has a nice patina from age. I've sent pics of it to several inquiring people and I guess I'll see what they think.

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 07/29/15 10:24 PM

thanks Paul, lets see if this old dog can do tricks lol

Posted By: PaulB

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 07/30/15 12:10 AM

You did good,,nice trap,,get some good advise before you sell if it was me I would keep it with the history in the family

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 07/30/15 02:01 PM

I'm sorry to swamp you with pics now that I know how to post them but I guess I have to show the 2 negatives I see with the traps, one is a one side of a jaw pivot rivet head is gone and the other is a missing corner on one of the jaw pivot anchors. I'll add a few more just to make the collection better to make an honest evaluation. Sorry to take up so much of your time.

Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 07/30/15 02:08 PM

Don't apologize for posting pictures of traps.
We like 'em. cool

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 07/30/15 03:25 PM

For Ol' Smoke, these are for viewing in bed when laying on your left side.
Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 07/30/15 07:06 PM

That's a dandy little drag ya got
there too. Thanks for posting.

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 07/31/15 03:31 PM

Hi, anyone have any idea how bad the 2 problems I showed effects the value or has if just become a barn hanger?

Thanks
Posted By: crazy Eddy

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 09/24/15 12:56 AM

I was just running through these post and noticed this beautiful old bear trap. The shape of those jaws say A.R. or L.R. But I believe they only made #6 size bear traps. The damage you show in your pictures wouldnt scare me from buying that trap.
Posted By: lots of mink

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 09/26/15 01:04 AM

I dont believe its an AR or LR .
Its older than that Iam pretty sure.
Nice trap.
Posted By: lots of mink

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 09/26/15 01:06 AM

Rudy I think your trap should sell easy at 500$
If you hold out for a thousand I think you'll own it for a good while yet.
If you find a name or date it would help the value
Posted By: Golf ball

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 10/14/15 02:05 AM

Hey folks I'm not a collector, but I am curious to know did they commonly night latch back in grand dad's day ? If I'm not mistaken that dog has been filed.
Now for my next question, when did the old boys start this night latching business ?
Posted By: No.4

Re: Forged bear trap value? - 12/03/15 01:42 AM

Any updates?
© 2024 Trapperman Forums