Home

Hawley & Norton #2 long

Posted By: Okiecntry

Hawley & Norton #2 long - 03/27/15 01:50 PM

I picked this trap up in a box of misc traps was listed as parts traps but this one appears to be all original and in decent shape. Looks like someone may have caught a coyote or something as the pan and base are a little warped but nothing that a little TLC can't fix. I find no marking on the springs, base, or chain. I missed getting it in the picture but the swivel is the cast type and looks to be original. I thought it was a Newhouse until I looked closer at the pan. I plan on making it a wallhanger along side the the Newhouse #2 long that I have. These don't seem to be as common as Newhouse to me but is there any real collector value in them?

Posted By: lots of mink

Re: Hawley & Norton #2 long - 03/27/15 04:38 PM

Some of them have good collector value. From here the pan looks tuff to read. Check your chain and see if any of the links are marked with writting.

Re: Hawley & Norton #2 long - 03/27/15 05:57 PM

The pan is actually better than what shows in this picture. It had some kind of grease (axle grease? LOL) on the joints that I cleaned a little off but will get the WD-40 after and clean up better.

When I researched Hawley on here I saw an older post about the marking on the chain but I don't see any markings on the chain, base or springs.
Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: Hawley & Norton #2 long - 03/27/15 11:21 PM

The H&Ns were made with slightly thinner materials, IRC.
They sold a little cheaper. That's why the pans don't
read too well. You said you had a Newhouse, look a
'em side by side and I think it will show.
Posted By: coonwise

Re: Hawley & Norton #2 long - 03/28/15 01:36 AM

Some of the H&N rivet pans are hard to come by. definatley clean it up.Dont quit your Job tho!!!! I will check my book later and repost on value. Hope this helps Mike

Re: Hawley & Norton #2 long - 03/30/15 02:14 PM

I compared it to my Newhouse #2 and you are right, even though the Hawley looks like the Newhouse at first glance the Newhouse is more heavy duty, especially the base and the pan.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Hawley & Norton #2 long - 03/30/15 05:05 PM

If you hold up both traps so you get a profile of the jaws, you will see that the arch is higher on the Newhouse.
Posted By: haroldlcasey

Re: Hawley & Norton #2 long - 04/08/15 02:41 AM

They are both pretty cool .I don't have the Hawley Norton But I do have the Newhouse No. 2 It has had the cross assembly changed To an O.C . and the chain is stretched out double loop.? do I fix it right or use it.If I decide to use it I'll put a better cross and pan setup on it.Too bad I don't have a P I T pan for it.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums