Home

This one is gonna stump ya!

Posted By: DiggerDale

This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/14/15 02:58 AM

Looks like a 14 ATC with a PAWS-I-TRIP pan. I've never seen this jaw style. How about some information on it.........Thanks, Dale

Posted By: lots of mink

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/14/15 04:08 AM

Very interesting trap and chain looks newhouse, the jaws look like something LPC might have made.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/14/15 10:12 AM

Some serious muskrat iron...lol
Like LOTS OF MINK said LPC jaws... I'd guess
Posted By: ddfen2

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/14/15 02:26 PM

Looks like a Robert Meach trap. He made up that trap for wolf research in Minnesota. not sure if I spelled his last name right.

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/14/15 02:39 PM

I know of possibly one or two others in northern Minnesota and one of them has a trap tag with the name Mech.
Posted By: 160user

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/15/15 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: ddfen2
Looks like a Robert Meach trap. He made up that trap for wolf research in Minnesota. not sure if I spelled his last name right.

I don't think so. The David L. Mech trap that I have is far different. My trap still has the USFWS tag on it and I am 99.9% sure it is complete and unaltered. To me the jaws look more like an LPC. I will look at some of my LPC's and see if there are any like that. No matter what that is Dale, it is COOL!
Posted By: mtnative

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/15/15 06:08 PM

That is definitely a Mech Wolf trap. Mech had the jaws made at a foundary the original ones had the pointed castings on top of the jaws for a balance,like the one pictured, and many were later ground off. He had the jaws made and they were placed on newhouse frames and springs. I have seen some with the pos-i-trip pans and some with the raised letter NH #4 pans.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/15/15 07:14 PM

Mtnative definately knows what he is talking about when it comes to wolf traps.

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/15/15 07:43 PM

Just for the record: It's not mine but I did offer an arm and a leg with a left nut thrown in and NO sale. I suspected it is a MECH trap but wasn't sure.
Does anybody have a picture of this style Livestock Protection Co jaws?.....Thanks, Dale

And come on 160! Would sure like to see a pic of your MECH trap... It must be the raised pan model.
Posted By: 52Carl

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/16/15 05:16 AM

Why is it always the left nut? Anyone know?

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/17/15 02:55 AM

OK, here you go. The first picture is along side of a standard #14. On the 3rd picture you can see where the casting lug has been ground off.

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/17/15 03:16 AM

Thanks Rob! I'm getting an education and it hasn't cost me anything...YET....

Got a couple pictures in the e mail today.

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/17/15 03:25 AM

Geez, the casting mark on the jaw sure looks the same. The long kinkless chain set up looks the same too.
Posted By: Diggdug

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/19/15 03:55 PM

What is a fair price for one?

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/25/15 09:08 PM

As a buyer I thought $75 was fair but through the loud laughter I picked up on "In your dreams" and "My Momma never raised no fool" ect. ect.
If you got one to sell, send me a PM.

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 01/26/15 10:38 AM

Originally Posted By: DiggerDale
As a buyer I thought $75 was fair but through the loud laughter I picked up on "In your dreams" and "My Momma never raised no fool" ect. ect.
If you got one to sell, send me a PM.

$75? That is the price of admission to LOOK at one. I may try to have Dave Mech look at mine and authenticate it.
Posted By: madtrapper

Re: This one is gonna stump ya! - 02/15/15 04:02 AM

Yes, Mech had traps modified for trapping on the research project but I can't verify if that is one of his.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums