Home

any ideas what brand this trap is??

Posted By: fiftynine

any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 01/12/15 04:52 AM

Due to the rust pitting, no markings are visible, if there was any. but if anybody has any ideas what kind it is I'd really appreciate the input. The trap next to it in top picture is a #3 victor. Thanks.
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 01/12/15 06:24 AM

I will go out on a limb and say, in my opinion, it is "hand forged". Thus there isn't a brand name.

Could be European in origin.

May I ask where you found it? Thanks

Re: any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 01/13/15 01:48 AM

I don't know any history of it other than it was found in upstate NY. Thanks for the input.
Posted By: Sterling133

Re: any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 01/14/15 10:47 PM

I would also say hand foreged, the piece attached to the frame that holds the pan looks hammered to me.
Posted By: roztocki

Re: any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 01/19/15 11:57 PM

Looks german to me. Most were marked BOKER on springs.
Posted By: bonehunter7

Re: any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 01/21/15 08:32 PM

I would say hand forged!!

Re: any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 01/21/15 11:55 PM

I'm aware that it's hand forged, but I assumed that someone may have some insight as to who the maker might be due to the design. I have taken a couple hand forged traps to a trap collector's show and they were quickly identified due to certain features unique to certain builders. I misspoke when I asked what brand, I should be asking who built this trap!?! Thanks for all the input!!
Posted By: waggler

Re: any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 01/27/15 05:31 AM

Have you consulted the book titled "The Steel trap in North America"? I have a copy somewhere. As I recall it show several distinctive features of various old trap makers such as Standish, etc. The chain looks like it might be of a little later manufacture than the rest of the trap.

Re: any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 01/28/15 03:03 AM

Funny you mentioned it, waggler, a friend loaned me a copy of that book 2 days ago! Busy just thumbing through it now, great source of info. I agree with you about the chain. Thank you!

Re: any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 01/28/15 03:05 AM

Funny you mentioned it, waggler, a friend loaned me a copy of that book 2 days ago! Busy just thumbing through it now, great source of info. I agree with you about the chain. Thank you!
Posted By: Bruce1

Re: any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 06/14/15 09:40 PM

My guess made 1840 to 1880 era northeast usa beaver trap probably made for one of the early fur companies.They would contract local blacksmiths to make mainly beaver size traps.Being hand made it took a while to make one.Common to be unmarked.

Re: any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 06/17/15 04:06 AM

Thanks for the info Bruce1.
Posted By: a.s.johnson

Re: any ideas what brand this trap is?? - 03/01/17 07:46 AM

not a boker
© 2024 Trapperman Forums