Home

OC Display Basket

Posted By: onetrap

OC Display Basket - 12/07/14 08:57 PM

Someone posted a picture of a basket,it looked to be in very good shape. I doubt many of these survived. I wanted to share these pictures of another basket and two ads showing them full of traps. It mentions the store also got a counter card to display with it. That would be a neat one to find
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/07/14 09:18 PM

Holy Cow!! That basket in the first picture is super cool. I've never seen one like it.

May I ask where you found it?

The baskets in the 2nd and 3rd pictures remind me of the baskets my grandfather used in his apple orchard.
Posted By: cascade

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/08/14 06:16 AM

Nancy, I found mine about three years ago from an antique dealer. Thanks for the information, Jim. Greg

Posted By: Rick in mn

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/08/14 02:49 PM

wow way cool! If you want you can fill it with the traps in the background and send it to me.It will free up some space for that x-mas tree
Posted By: Nhousecattrapper

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/08/14 03:42 PM

Neat pictures Greg and Jim, I am sure the wood stoves ate a many of those up.
Bruce
Posted By: PaulB

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/08/14 07:59 PM

Greg,,your basket appears to have rope handles where Jims appear to have built in wood,,,do u think the rope handles are original?
Posted By: cascade

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/08/14 10:10 PM

Paul,I wondered the same thing. Mine does have rope handles. I don't see any sign where handles have been removed. However, that doesn't mean they weren't. In other words I don't know.

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/09/14 02:20 AM

Paul, The others I have seen have all had the wooden handles but I'm sure they got baskets from different suppliers etc. Gregs basket is in such good shape I doubt it has been messed with.
Posted By: Nhousecattrapper

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/09/14 02:48 AM

And with the ad showing wire bail with wooden center handle, it once again goes to show how often pictures in the adds were not exactly as the finished product, and in the same respect, that also stands true for traps that were advertised by manufactures in their adds, but were never produced. A great informative post. Thanks guys for posting.
Posted By: Mr. Bill

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/09/14 03:14 AM

Those are awesome looking baskets for sure!
Posted By: PaulB

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/09/14 04:10 AM

those baskets are a first for me,,and are in super shape,,really great finds

Jim,,are those ads out of North American Trapper magazines,,,or are they point of purchase displays with stand ups on the back?

thanks for posting
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/09/14 06:39 AM

I hope these photos are large enough to see. Here are a couple of ads from hardware catalogs. These baskets were also used to display Victor rat and mouse traps. In the one ad the basket comes with a tripod base. Dean

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/09/14 03:02 PM

Paul, I'm not sure what they are out of. I took pictures of them at Tom's.
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/09/14 03:37 PM

Paul, The first ad Jim posted is from a 1918 catalog. I believe it is a hardware company catalog, I only have that page and not the hole catalog. The baskets are not advertised in the "North American Trapper" magazine, it is too early, 1904-1905. And these baskets were marketed to stores as displays and the "North American trapper" magazine was sold to trappers.
Posted By: trappertom52

Re: OC Display Basket - 12/09/14 03:52 PM

Thanks for sharing. Those baskets look much more sturdy than the common fruit or orchard baskets.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums