Home

Wooden trap box

Posted By: Jim Bethell

Wooden trap box - 12/02/14 01:34 AM

What can you tell me about this wooden box. It is 6 in. wide x 4 1/2 in. tall x 10 1/2 in long. It has a sliding wood lid and dovetail corners. Thank you.
Posted By: coonwise

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/02/14 06:37 AM

Hey Jim. That box was what a young trappers starting outfit was shipped in. I have seen the advertizement for them in old Fur news and outdoor world. not sure what other magazines of the day did. Too get them from Fur news. A youth needed to sell 2 subscriptions to the magazine. and he would get one sent to him. Your box with the lid is a rare piece. most I believe do not have the lid. I seen one in Escanaba sell for $100. no lid. and the label was not as good as yours. Hope this helps and if anyone has more info chime in please. Mike Wise
Posted By: 160user

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/02/14 12:53 PM

All I know about that box is............I want it!

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/02/14 02:21 PM

Don't want to sell it. Just wanted info about it. Thank you for that. Would like to find the papers that came with it. Thank you for the info.

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/03/14 03:17 AM

Yes Jim the little youth trapper booklet that came with those is a very good collectible in its self and would really make that a great little collection. there are some out there. there are 2 different ones. the early that came with the wooden boxes and the later that came with the cardboard box kit. That is what I have read on the matter.I do believe that a cardboard box has yet to be found.
Posted By: onetrap

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/05/14 03:41 PM

Mike, You are correct about the wooden box. I will add that there are three different ones. I think the first had the sliding lid and the second one has a nail on lid. The last one was cardboard ( which has yet to be found ). We all thought there were only two booklets but another one has been found so it looks like each box had a different one. Jim

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/06/14 02:39 AM

Thank You Jim for the new info. thats why I like collecting. there are a good bunch of collectors who are more than willing to share valueble info. Thanks again and very much appreciated. Mike
Posted By: ddfen2

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/07/14 01:23 PM

Here is some pictures of Jim's Victor Trappers Outfit. You can tell us about them Jim

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/07/14 02:03 PM

Thanks for helping me with the pictures Don. Pictures are of the 3 different booklets that came with the Boys Trappers Outfits. I'm not exactly sure of the order that they issued. They are very hard to find but neat to have in your collection. Jim
Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/07/14 04:56 PM

Thanks for sharing guys. Very much
appreciated. cool

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/09/14 12:38 AM

Thank you very much. Helps a lot
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/09/14 07:11 AM

Here are a couple more ads. The earliest ad I have seen is 1917 and it shows the label a little different, with "Boys" at the top. These ads are drawings and they may or may not have ever printed or used this label.

The wood boxes had 1 #0, 4 #1's and 1 #1 1/2, along with the "The Boy Trapper's Guide". The first boxes had the sliding lid and then a nail on lid on the latter ones.

The cardboard box came with 1 #0, 3 #1's, 1 #91 and 1 #1Giant, along with "A brief Guide to Trapping".

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/09/14 02:58 PM

Thanks Dean, I never had seen the ad for the cardboard box. Sure wish someone could find one. The booklet it shows is the one I thought went with it
Posted By: trappertom52

Re: Wooden trap box - 12/09/14 03:54 PM

Thanks for posting. That is some cool trapping history.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums