Home

U.S. Standard with teeth

Posted By: ScottPhillips

U.S. Standard with teeth - 11/09/14 01:37 PM

I saw a U.S. Standard probably size #4 offset with teeth, do you know how many were made and value?

Scott
Posted By: Nhousecattrapper

Re: U.S. Standard with teeth - 11/09/14 06:52 PM

Hi Scott,
The Gibbs US Standard series stirred up quite a turmoil as OC always having the Govt. Contract and Gibbs getting it away from them was virtually unheard of. The Gibbs U S Standard series was produced somewhere in the years running from around 1931 to around 1936, as in 1936 ATC bought out Gibbs. The production totals I have never seen on the U S Standard Series.
Was the trap you saw a #4 or #4X? The true #4X Gibbs U S Standards, which was the competition trap to the Newhouse #14 is a tuff one to find. The #3 and the #4 of that series are easy to come by. The problem is with the #4X the high value trap in the series it is also a trap that is faked. The #4 sets farther to the left on the #4X than the #4, and there are many unscrupulous trap doctors out there that will take a #4 U S Standard and stamp or needle an X in back of it, put a set of Newhouse #14 jaws in it and sell it for a Gibbs #4X.
Now, after ATC bought out Gibbs and were using up parts, you may find Gibbs parts married with ATC parts and have a trap that is factory right, but not a pure trap that was made during the Gibbs era. Buyer definitely beware on the #4X Gibbs U S Standard.
Posted By: PaulB

Re: U.S. Standard with teeth - 11/09/14 09:07 PM

GOOD ADVISE BRUCE,,THANKS
Posted By: cascade

Re: U.S. Standard with teeth - 11/10/14 12:44 AM

Great reply Bruce.
Posted By: ScottPhillips

Re: U.S. Standard with teeth - 11/10/14 01:16 AM

Thanks this trap is still in the barn where I found it, I will take a better look at it next time I am there, It has probably been hanging in the barn for quite some time, if I remember right there is a government stamp on the bottom, small letters,were they all stamped like this, I do remember there is no ring on the end of the chain, but the trap was in good shape.

Scott
© 2024 Trapperman Forums