Home

newhouse springs

Posted By: lots of mink

newhouse springs - 10/21/14 04:27 AM

Anybody notice espicially with older newhouse traps the springs are sometimes odd lengths?

Ive seen handforged newhouse with really short springs.
Ive seen handforged with longer than normal springs.
Then Ive seen #4 and #3 size traps with two springs different lengths on hand forged.

I picked up a #1 size trap recently with a spring on it easily as long as a #11/2 spring.

Where the first #11/2 traps made with sheet metal cut springs or is there trip hammer springs on some of them?
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: newhouse springs - 10/21/14 02:16 PM

Mike, The first Newhouse #1 1/2s had the sheet metal spring and a #2 pan, with the oval, long link chain. Yes, there is some variation in the early hand forged springs. I also have a #1 with a longer than normal spring.
Posted By: Ol' Smoke

Re: newhouse springs - 10/21/14 05:02 PM

Good to see you here snakecollector. Any pics
would be appreciated. cool - poboy

Re: newhouse springs - 10/21/14 09:23 PM

Hello poboy, Good to see you here too. I will post some photos when I get a little more time.
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: newhouse springs - 10/23/14 02:49 AM

I've only seen differences on #3 springs but that ain't saying much as I only have a few forged spring traps..... And I'm pretty sure I have a 1 1/2 with a #2 pan. Thought it had been cobbled together. I'll post a pic if I can find it. MIGHT just be an early model.

Re: newhouse springs - 10/23/14 03:34 PM

Here's the 1 1/2 with the #2 pan. Doesn't have the long link chain though. Second pic shows pan size compared to a regular 1 1/2.

Re: newhouse springs - 10/23/14 10:07 PM

DiggerDale, your #1 1/2 with the #2 pan is possibly from the factory that way. They sometimes substituted different pans if they ran out of what they needed. But it is not the first model #1 1/2. I am not positive that the first #1 1/2s had #2 pans but I have seen several first models with this pan and I do have #2s with this pan. Note that the writing is continues around the pan. The "S. Newhouse Oneida Community, N.Y." is in one line that raps around the pan.

This is what I believe is the first model #1 1/2 pan.

The # "1 1/2" is small.

Here are some forged Newhouse springs. The one the left is a #2. The one in the middle is a #1, it is the same length as the #2 but has a smaller eye. And, the one on the right is a more standard size #1 spring.

Re: newhouse springs - 10/24/14 01:15 AM

Appreciate the info on the #2 pan Snake. Good pics of the 1 1/2 and the forged springs too. Did they use that wrap around lettering on the #2 only?..... And I hope you say yes or I'll be digging stuff out for a better look.

Re: newhouse springs - 10/24/14 04:14 AM

I have only seen the rape around lettering on the #2 pan.

Re: newhouse springs - 10/25/14 12:04 AM

I bet I've looked at this trap 100 times and never noticed the wrap around lettering. Thanks for sharing some good information Snakecollector.

Posted By: lots of mink

Re: newhouse springs - 10/26/14 12:33 AM

nice, thanks guys
DD it looks like that one you got also has the rounded top jaw posts (early)
© 2024 Trapperman Forums