Home

Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap

Posted By: skorittnig1977

Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/07/14 12:23 AM

I'm just wondering if somebody can explain to me the differences in the drags that I'm seeing on the old Oneida community 4.5 Wolf traps. I have a couple of books, and I looked on the Internet – and I am unable to find which drags are original. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/07/14 04:05 PM

Is there any book or website that explains or shows the difference in these? I have the steel traps of North America book – I did not see anything about the drags in there.
Posted By: Nhousecattrapper

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/07/14 04:53 PM

Hi skorittnig.
On the #4& 1/2 OCs, the second model which is the one after the Kenwood model and before the Pat Date model, you will see three different drags on them. At the start of the OC period, the early ones will have the Kenwood chain set ups on them as they were using up the rest of the parts. That chain set up will still have the Kenwood base swivel, flat snap, cold shut, and 4 prong kenwood drag. Also, they are reproducing the four prong drag now.

The next drag which you will also see a variation of chain set ups on it will be the square rebar drag. If you notice on e-bay now there are a couple of these that have re made Square drags on them as they are a slick square stock, and they are noted in the listing as not original. Also there are square rebar drags made from the same old stock that are being made now also. The ones that I have seen are a bit larger than the newhouse original square rebar drags.

The last model was the round stock Drag.

There are several listings in this forum showing all the drags so you can get a general idea of what they are. Be very educated when buying these, especially the four prong or the square stock rebar drags. Make sure you have someone knowledgeable look at them first that knows the difference or you may drop quite a bit out of your wallet on something that is worth very little. Buyer beware, do your homework, and do not become one of the collectors that have over paid for their education by buying something only to find out later that it is a reproduced item.

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/08/14 02:26 AM

Thanks a bunch for your reply! This was exactly what I was looking for. As I mentioned, I have the Steel Traps of North America book, as well as the Newhouse Bear trap book--are there any other books (specifically on Newhouse traps) that I should be looking for to use as a reference?
Posted By: AKHowler

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/13/14 03:49 AM

I have a few of these in my collection. Too valuable to have in the field anymore. Would like to sell a couple if I knew what they were worth. Any ideas?
Posted By: Andy Smith

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/16/14 05:14 PM

Does anyone have a photo or can anyone on here take a photo with all of the drags that Newhouse put on the 4 1/2 wolf traps. I have several models that I am trying to make complete and that would be a big help.
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/17/14 03:00 PM

I'll take a stab at it Andy.
The first pic is the Kenwood 4 prong and the OC square rebar. There is supposed to be an earlier Kenwood 3 prong forged but I haven't seen one.
The second pic is an OC and an ATC round stock drag. Might be a tight twist OC version like MR BILL pictured in one of my posts about 4 1/2 PATENT DATE HELP.
I am definitely not an expert but hope this helps you out. Dale

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/18/14 02:59 PM

Thanks for the help. I put an add in the trap shed looking for some parts if any of you have any. I really need a couple Kenwood era snaps, an ATC snap and an OC marked spring.
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/19/14 11:34 PM

The ATC snap should be easy, check your local hardware stores. The OC stamped spring will take some doing to find a good match. You'll need a higher power looking over you to come up with a couple Kenwood snaps though.

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/21/14 03:51 AM

Thanks! Do any of you have a photo of the original 3 pt drag?
Posted By: snakecollector

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/24/14 06:32 PM

Here are the tight twist drags on the no pat. date and the pat. date O.C. traps.

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/24/14 06:36 PM

I have never seen the three point forged drag on a #4 1/2 but here is a scan from an 1890's O.C. catalog. Keep in mind this is a drawing.
Posted By: nt2

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 10/24/14 07:46 PM

Does anyone know what trap this hand forged 3 prong drag originally was attached to? It was with the trapping stuff my Dad had from 70 years ago. It is about 9&1/2 inches tall and is about 9 inches across. Hope my photo is attached.

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 11/15/14 03:34 AM

This 3 prong drag came on my 4.5 Kenwood wolf trap. Haven't seen many like it- but I don't know if it's original or correct.

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 11/17/14 11:13 PM

Skorittnig, Does your #4 1/2 have a Kenwood pan?

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 11/18/14 01:28 AM

Yes it sure does snake
Posted By: cohunt

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 11/18/14 01:47 PM

Certainly hard to be sure on a trap over 100 years old but the single long lap link connecting the chain to the drag does not seem like something Newhouse would have used. However, the drag shown above is quite similar to that pictured in the old catalog earlier on this thead.

Re: Variations in drags on the OC 4 1/2 wolf trap - 11/19/14 03:07 AM

I agree, haven't seen any like it. It's a neat trap.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums