Home

4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap

Posted By: cascade

4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 10/04/14 03:03 AM

Here is a photo of my 4 1/2 Kenwood with a four prong drag. Several years ago my close friend, Lee Massey, passed away and N.A.T.C.A had an auction of his stuff at one of our rendezvous. Lee was a real early member of the organization. Greg
Posted By: Nhousecattrapper

Re: 4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 10/04/14 03:20 AM

Nice trap Greg, Thanks for posting. Kenwood chain set ups are really neat.
Posted By: DiggerDale

Re: 4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 10/04/14 04:57 PM

No way I could ever afford a complete 4 1/2 KENWOOD but over time I accumulated enough parts to put this together. May not be original but I think it is correct.
Posted By: cascade

Re: 4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 10/04/14 06:44 PM

It Looks great to me!
Posted By: Nhousecattrapper

Re: 4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 10/04/14 10:12 PM

It is correct Dale. Nice looking trap
Posted By: waterwells

Re: 4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 05/26/16 02:44 AM

What would be a good price on one ?
Posted By: waterwells

Re: 4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 05/26/16 03:07 AM

Any other type of chain set ups ? Short chains ?
Posted By: skorittnig1977

Re: 4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 05/27/16 11:20 PM

Dale that's a beauty. I often wonder how many of the "original and complete" traps out there are just that.
Posted By: trappertom52

Re: 4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 05/28/16 12:38 AM

Really what difference does it make? If all the parts are original and correct, no one will know in the future who assembled it. It is not like old guns that are reassembled with mismatching serial numbers.
Posted By: skorittnig1977

Re: 4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 05/28/16 03:34 AM

As a collector who makes every effort to purchase traps that are not "tampered with"- I can appreciate the appeal and prestige of owning a 140+ year old trap that was supposedly never disassembled or had parts repaired/exchanged. That said-- many of these traps were used to some extent-- I find it hard to believe that a majority of these traps were never messed with at some point in that 140+ years. I could very well be wrong-- there a many more knowledgeable folks in here than myself.

As I mentioned above-- Dale, very nice trap!

Posted By: trapper48

Re: 4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 05/28/16 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: trappertom52
Really what difference does it make? If all the parts are original and correct, no one will know in the future who assembled it. It is not like old guns that are reassembled with mismatching serial numbers.

I agree Tom, in my opinion, if a person is replacing broken, worn or lost parts, with original used parts for the same make and model, then aren't we actually restoring a trap? Now, if we were to put Newhouse jaws and posts on a Sargent, or a Newhouse or P.S.& W style chain on a Nisbit trap and then claim it is original, that would be cobbling, in my opinion. Antiques of every type are restored with original parts every day of the year, but they aren't considered cobbled or counterfeit,
they have been restored.
But again, this is my opinion!
Posted By: Pat_tc

Re: 4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 05/29/16 09:00 PM

It's nice if the rust and pitting match up too. I buy a lot of Newhouse traps with standing bears. I have noticed on a lot of these traps the main parts of the trap look like they have had less wear than than the springs do. I assume a worn #1 with bears is worth a lot less than a #81 with with a crsip pan and the same bears. The trap above is matched very well but a few of mine I bought look put together.
Oh, and I have a couple of Nisbit traps both with Newhouse chains. Are these wrong? If they are wrong, I'll have to switch them to something else. laugh
Posted By: Riverotter2

Re: 4 1/2 Kenwood Newhouse trap - 05/31/16 12:01 AM

I would love to have a pile of drags like that one. Nice looking set up.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums