By JIM MILLER
Sacramento Bureau
May 11, 2009
http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_eggs11.4644e80.html

SACRAMENTO - California's upcoming ban on small cages for egg-laying
hens would be extended to out-of-state egg producers if a bill moving
through the Legislature becomes law.

The state's $648 million egg industry so far is neutral on the
legislation, which is championed by the same groups that backed Prop.
2, the successful November ballot initiative that requires more room
for chickens and other farm animals.

The bill, though, already has received support from legislators who
opposed Prop. 2. They say it will help California's egg industry
compete with out-of-state egg producers who, under current law, will
not need to comply with Prop. 2 when its rules take effect in 2015.

"I think there's a general consensus out there that if our industries
have to do certain things for the housing of poultry, then we don't
think it's too much to ask the rest of the country to adhere to the
same rules that we do, just to keep our folks competitive," said
Assemblyman Tom Berryhill, R-Modesto, a co-author of AB 1437. He
opposed Prop. 2.

Prop. 2 mandates that pigs, calves raised for veal and egg-laying hens
have enough space to lie down, stand up, turn around and fully extend
their limbs. Violators can face criminal penalties.

Its main impact is on the egg industry, which led last year's
opposition to the initiative.

An Assembly committee analysis of the bill raised concerns that
expanding Prop. 2's rules to out-of-state egg producers could violate
the interstate commerce clause of the U.S. Constitution meant to
prevent states from restricting imports from other states.

In addition, the new legislation has failed to placate California egg
producers' frustration with Prop. 2. The industry is forming a new
group, the Association of California Egg Farmers, mainly to deal with
Prop. 2's implementation.

Gary Foster, general manager of Riverside County's Norco Ranch, a
major egg producer, said his company recently canceled a $35 million
expansion because of questions about complying with Prop. 2.

Among other things, he said, the 540-word law leaves unclear what sort
of building would meet the initiative's requirement that chickens need
to be able to extend their wings without touching another bird. Would
a producer get in trouble if birds touched while extending their wings
at the same time, for example, Foster asked.

"It incorporates Prop. 2 but doesn't explain what it is," Foster said
of this year's bill. "We would like very much to comply with what the
voters wanted. But we don't know what that is."

The Humane Society of the United States, which largely bankrolled the
Yes-on-2 campaign, is pushing the new bill.

Jennifer Fearing, the Humane Society's chief economist and its
Sacramento lobbyist, said the bill would further the goal of getting
more chickens out of what animal-rights groups contend are inhumane
cages.

She also said the Humane Society is working with California producers
to address questions about complying with Prop. 2.

"The overwhelming support that Californians had for Prop. 2 sent a
signal about what they think about the tradeoffs and risks associated
with this kind of food production," Fearing said.

prop. 2 fight

The battle over Prop. 2 drew attention and money from around the country.

Donors in Riverside and San Bernardino counties contributed more than
$1 million of the nearly $9 million opponents raised.

Supporters, led by the Humane Society, raised more than $10.3 million
and filled the airwaves with graphic images of chickens in small cages
and other animals purportedly being mistreated.

Opponents said the footage was "dubious and cynical."

Critics said Prop. 2 would significantly raise the price of eggs,
something proponents disputed.

The election was a rout.

Prop. 2. passed everywhere except in several Central Valley counties.
Afterward, some critics started calling for splitting the state
because "uneducated city dwellers" were dictating agricultural rules.

There also were less strident conversations. Assemblyman Jared
Huffman, D-San Rafael, was among those who participated.

Huffman authored AB 1437 and said his bill closes a "gaping hole" that
would let out-of-state producers sell eggs to California consumers.

"I'm sure the industry would love to wake up tomorrow and not have
Prop. 2 be the law of the land, but the voters spoke pretty loudly and
clearly that they want these minimum anti-cruelty standards," Huffman
said. "This levels the playing field and gives effect to what the
voters thought they were doing when they passed Prop. 2."

The Assembly Agriculture Committee unanimously approved the bill last
week. Besides Berryhill, a yes vote came from the panel's chairwoman,
Assemblywoman Cathleen Galgiani, D-Merced, who last year rallied her
colleagues to oppose Prop. 2 because she said it would eliminate
hundreds of jobs.

For California's egg industry, the new legislation offers potential
pitfalls and rewards.

The bill could emerge as a vehicle for the industry to get clear
guidance on what Prop. 2 requires. Or it could solidify the
initiative's legal position against any potential industry lawsuit.

The bill could lend momentum to congressional efforts to craft
national animal-confinement standards. But any support by California
producers' for the legislation would put them sharply at odds with the
national egg industry.

United Egg Producers, an Atlanta-based national industry group, did
not respond to a request for comment on the California bill.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/15/09 08:01 PM

Wait......what if a roosting chicken opens his wings and cast a shadow on a chicken on the ground will I have to pay a fine for that? shocked
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/15/09 08:12 PM

Tell California to eat their own eggs.
Posted By: leo23

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/15/09 08:20 PM

If this crap passes I hope they dont have nothing but a vulture egg to eat out their for the next 3 yrs or more if that, now dont get me wrong now their is a line between cruelty and farming, now with that being said im sure some houses probably need a fixin, but an animal or fowl is just what it is,an animal or fowl. Also this is what you get when people that live in the city vote on things that are in the rural country area, that shouldnt have a say so no matter what because they have no clue. ( THE IDIOTS)
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/15/09 08:23 PM

it would be great if the egg industry said pizz off....
and they got no eggs..

that is all it will take, someone to stand up to these morons.

what would the backlash be if you coulnd't get an egg in California???
that would be awesome, no bakeries, all the manufacturing food plants that need them,
Mc'd's and such ah hah ah..
Posted By: Ohio Andy

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/15/09 08:24 PM

Typical Californistan politics. Trying to impose their idiocy upon the entire country.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/15/09 08:39 PM

Cluck Cluck

Everyone will have a couple hens in their back yard. Free range chickens.
Posted By: Mira Trapper

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/15/09 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: brucet
Tell California to eat their own eggs.

Trouble is that now that they have gained the upper hand in California they are trying to push their nonsense upon all agriculture throughout all of the pork,veal & chicken markets. Also must note that Florida also bent to the pressure with hen cages and farrowing crate issues. California was just an easier target to begin with.
Posted By: 70sdiver

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/15/09 09:26 PM

the egg producers should stop exporting any eggs to california when eggs are a dollar each there maybe ppl will wake up
Posted By: pass-thru

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/15/09 10:02 PM

The portion of the Ca law putting limits on import eggs from other states will quickly be struck down as an illegal restraint on interstate commerce....

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/15/09 10:24 PM

pass-thru, not if the 9th Circus Court of Appeals hears the case first, and they will. Might be years before it makes it to the Supreme Court.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/15/09 11:07 PM

How many of the people that voted for such restrictive laws or that wrote up the new animal rights proposals do you think to have ever been involved in the egg industry?? Easy to make La La land type legalize if you have never faced the consequences of those laws yourself. Since Pacelle and his cohorts are Vegans they could care less that they lied & duped the public into being foolish enough to support the initiative which never should have been offered to the general public anyway. The folks that should have been listened to are the vets & farmers who had already established the best chicken farming methods for food production .

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/15/09 11:31 PM

Mira, I have no sympathy whatsoever for the people of California who voted for this bill. I hope their eggs cost them $20 per dozen. Its about time the stupid are allowed to face the consequences of their actions.
Posted By: aprophet

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 02:12 AM

you mean there is a reason to smuggle cheap eggs into cali ?? smile wow man let the black market begin smile smile smile
Posted By: BanditBuster

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 02:15 AM

Glad we have a dozen laying hens!
Posted By: aprophet

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: BANDIT BUSTER
Glad we have a dozen laying hens!

makes me want to put a couple of free range ones out there in the garden smile
Posted By: trapperkeck

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: BuckNE
Mira, I have no sympathy whatsoever for the people of California who voted for this bill. I hope their eggs cost them $20 per dozen. Its about time the stupid are allowed to face the consequences of their actions.
Couldn't have said it better myself. They made the bed, let them sleep in it!
Posted By: kseric

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 03:30 AM

So when is California going to require the same enviromental standards,labor laws etc. for goods coming from Mexico?

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 05:53 AM

Originally Posted By: trapperkeck
Couldn't have said it better myself. They made the bed, let them sleep in it!

You folks seem to be missing my point. It is the farmers of California that are going to loose their livelihood because of such nonsense. The folks that actually raise hens ,veal & pork are being over-ruled by self righteous idiots and now those same idiots are trying to get the same legislation supplied across North America.
Posted By: Rye

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 06:04 AM

I would have to agree with the above, Via a couple of phone calls to the industry powerhouses, I'd see to it that California didn't get another egg anywhere. All eggs produced in cali, sold else where, no eggs come into cali.

In less than a week "Talks" would take place, and in a month the would fold. Too large a portion of the industries depend on eggs to not fold.
Posted By: MMichtrapper

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 12:45 PM

So all the California farmers could export their eggs to surrounding states! Let the industry there that needs eggs and such, figure it out.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: MMichtrapper
So all the California farmers could export their eggs to surrounding states! Let the industry there that needs eggs and such, figure it out.

But California eggs will be over priced in such markets because H$U$ forced the California farmers into more costly egg production,then their competitors.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 12:55 PM

Mira, sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet, and sometimes you gotta let the farmers suffer along with idiotic consumers.

But, hey, you wanna know what is really going to happen? The federal government will provide those egg farmers with some cash to change their operations over, and then some subsidies to keep the prices down, and instead of the pathetic morons in California who voted for the changes paying for it, I'll end up paying for it for the rest of my life.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 02:07 PM

Mira, sometimes you gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet, and sometimes you gotta let the farmers suffer along with idiotic consumers.

But, hey, you wanna know what is really going to happen? The federal government will provide those egg farmers with some cash to change their operations over, and then some subsidies to keep the prices down, and instead of the pathetic morons in California who voted for the changes paying for it, I'll end up paying for it for the rest of my life.

And the bottom line is nobody can afford such unnecessary meddling from folks that couldn't tell a prize rooster from a egg laying hen.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 02:18 PM

Of course we can afford it. Just ask the politicians in Washington. Here's how it is going to work, and you can bet your last egg on this.

California morons who voted for proposition 2 carry a lot of clout in Washington, DC. California has 53 Congressmen in the US House of Representatives, out of 435 total. Those 53 Congressmen will make sure that Californians don't have to pay for their stupidity.

So, what is going to happen is that the federal government will pay the egg farmers to change their operations over. They will also subsidize them so the egg prices the morons pay won't go up. And the next 6 generations of Americans will pay a little more in taxes for the stupidity of Californians.

The government is all about protecting the stupid from themselves. That has become its main purpose.
Posted By: ringtailtrapper

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 03:12 PM

Mira, I agree with you most of the time on just about everything you write but not this time.The dept. Ag's at the state level for year's have been getting more influance from the AR groups all over the nation.The states that have there wildlife issues run threw the dept.of Ag at the state level, may well know that they face The AR's before they even get out of the starting block.Mira,Maybe the the little old egg is the place to draw a line in the sand and say no more B.S I would say its like fighting them on a issue that will touch everyone in someway VS just fighting them on an issue that only affects a few like trapping.................Ringtailtrapper

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 07:14 PM

Originally Posted By: ringtailtrapper
Mira, I agree with you most of the time on just about everything you write but not this time.The dept. Ag's at the state level for year's have been getting more influance from the AR groups all over the nation.The states that have there wildlife issues run threw the dept.of Ag at the state level, may well know that they face The AR's before they even get out of the starting block.Mira,Maybe the the little old egg is the place to draw a line in the sand and say no more B.S I would say its like fighting them on a issue that will touch everyone in someway VS just fighting them on an issue that only affects a few like trapping.................Ringtailtrapper

We are not in disagreement Ringtail. I happen to see a lot of merit in Buckne's point of view but I feel real ticked off that farmers face the problems they do because folks that wouldn't know a rooster from a hen are calling the shots in legislation & ballot boxes. My point throughout this thread is the farmers who have such legislation passed against them are the ones who have even had State Veterinarians agree with the farmers and yet politics has destroyed the logic of raising animals as farmers know how they should be raised & the general public does not. Those same farmers never asked for any of this grief and they couldn't get common sense to over rule politics or H$U$ propaganda. We trappers face the same problem. The farmers of California are not the only ones who face this type of legislation.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 07:19 PM

Mira, florida is just a out post of california so no suprise they go however california goes.

Looks like that stupid state is going bankrupt anyway with all of their stupid politic's finally catching up to them. Let them boil rocks for all I care.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 08:30 PM

Florida actually was the first state to go for the H$U$ plan. Big losses for their farmers. Right now H$U$ is trying the same sell in several other big agricultural producing states. This issue is like a bad movie being played by Pacelle & any number of political hacks around the US of A.. We trappers are not the only ones under attacks by the H$U$ propaganda machinery.
Posted By: don Wolf

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 08:40 PM

Looks like people in California get to quit eating eggs, don't it. Tough luck for them.
Posted By: arctichomestead

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 08:42 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if someone doesn't challenge this in court based on the fact that only the federal government may regulate interstate commerce, and no state may tax imports from other states.
Posted By: Latrans

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/16/09 08:49 PM

I have been following this closely, some of my best customers in California are chicken and egg producers. When this first came out I asked a giant egg producer that I occasionaly trap rats and skunks for about it, and all he said was "Oh it does'nt affect us, we are already doing everything that Prop 2 mandates, and have been for 25 years". But he did say he was voting against it "on principle", as did I. Its all a sham and propaganda put out by the Humane Society to get people to donate money to their causes. Egg prices haven't gone up in California.
Posted By: KYBOY

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 12:40 AM

Dnt worry folks, we'll sell you all you want for $1.50 a dozen..LOL
Posted By: Ely

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:21 AM

I've got 4 laying hens that keeps my wife and I ( and some neighbors) in eggs. You wouldnt believe how many people around here got a few chickens that never had them before. A lot of people putting in pretty big gardens this year also. Eggs, chicken, garden salads and canning to go along with the deer meat. A country boy can survive!
Posted By: Slim Pedersen

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:37 AM

Well Trappers I hope you are paying attention. Trappers do not have the money or political clout that the poultry industry has or had.

Also, I believe it is high time that trapper organizations personally invite poultry, hog, cattlemen, and farmers to every state and National trappers association conventions.

Easy to say too bad and turn away, but much more productive to say sorry and we will help as well as possible, if you help us as well.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Slim Pedersen
Well Trappers I hope you are paying attention. Trappers do not have the money or political clout that the poultry industry has or had.

Also, I believe it is high time that trapper organizations personally invite poultry, hog, cattlemen, and farmers to every state and National trappers association conventions.

Easy to say too bad and turn away, but much more productive to say sorry and we will help as well as possible, if you help us as well.

You nailed it Slim. Been trying to get folks to think like that for years.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 12:33 PM

Yes, those egg producers have more political clout, but they are going to use it to get subsidies to offset higher costs, and it is going to end up costing you and me. And they are going to keep that political clout by donating to the very politicians who want to kill trapping so they can satisfy the same type of people who voted for Proposition 2.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 12:57 PM

Yes, those egg producers have more political clout, but they are going to use it to get subsidies to offset higher costs, and it is going to end up costing you and me. And they are going to keep that political clout by donating to the very politicians who want to kill trapping so they can satisfy the same type of people who voted for Proposition 2.

Then it makes sense to adopt the plan that Slim offered . Work together as animal use people to gain political clout . The egg producers were wronged by H$U$ propaganda. We have been wronged by the same organization and it makes sense for us to offer them our respect and get both groups to fight with other groups in making sure H$U$ can not continue with their lies & propaganda. Reading the serves them right comments on this forum doesn't help to create alliances.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 01:14 PM

Mira, I didn't see any "it serves them right" comments about the poultry farmers. I saw "it serves them right" comments about the voters.

And, like I said, in the end the poultry farmers aren't going to be hurt by this at all, and I suspect they know it. The government will make sure eggs don't go to $20 per dozen. They'll do that by subsidizing the egg producers. The voters in California get their happy chickens, the farmers get their money, and the only ones who lose are everyone else in the country who have to pay for it.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 01:40 PM

Next they are targeting meat in general:

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:12 PM

Mira, I didn't see any "it serves them right" comments about the poultry farmers. I saw "it serves them right" comments about the voters.

And, like I said, in the end the poultry farmers aren't going to be hurt by this at all, and I suspect they know it. The government will make sure eggs don't go to $20 per dozen. They'll do that by subsidizing the egg producers. The voters in California get their happy chickens, the farmers get their money, and the only ones who lose are everyone else in the country who have to pay for it.

Then the eggs will go to twenty dollars a dozen no matter who bares the cost and their isn't any reason that they should, if the farmers had more support from OTHER ANIMAL USE persons such as our selves. As for," serves them right comments" . Think you better read the thread again because those comments are there and it seems that some folks think that it looks good on California that they bought into, H$U$ lies.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Latrans
Next they are targeting meat in general:

Yup. Dairy, meat, leather, fur, wool, silk, circus, & all animal use benefits to man one peg at a time till the tent is pulled apart.
Posted By: ringtailtrapper

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:16 PM

Mira, you are spoton about what the farmer's are in for with the hsus,and slim your right about the trapper a well,so why not try and fight them on this issue of the egg rather the issue of trapping.We would have more dog in the fight on this issue than we might trying to stand alone,and we just might get help from these ag group's if we have a fight on our hands someday..............ringtailtrapper

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:22 PM

Originally Posted By: ringtailtrapper
Mira, you are spoton about what the farmer's are in for with the hsus,and slim your right about the trapper a well,so why not try and fight them on this issue of the egg rather the issue of trapping.We would have more dog in the fight on this issue than we might trying to stand alone,and we just might get help from these ag group's if we have a fight on our hands someday..............ringtailtrapper

That is the motivation for 90% of my posts here Ringtail. I post these articles so that people will eventually motivate themselves into becoming more vocal in supporting other animal use groups. If farmers in your area are under attack by folks complaining about smell or barns get out there and support your farmers. They will start recognizing you as a supporter and will start sticking up for you.

I get emails all the time from folks that read my posts and don't bother to answer or put general input into those posts till it affects them. Then they send requests to me to give them council on how to fight PETA or H$U$ in their cause. We trappers must become more pro-active in helping other animal use groups such as these egg farmers.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:32 PM

Proposition 2 passed by a vote of 63%.

Now, this new legislation is designed to apply the Prop. 2 standards to all states who ship eggs to California.

And who created this new bill that will shaft egg producers in other states? According to the article, the California egg producers did. It was drafted by an assemblyman representing the egg producers, so they could compete with those out of state egg producers.

So, this new bill isn't a product of animal rights groups. It is a product of the egg producers in California.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:36 PM

In other words, this isn't a battle between AR groups and egg producers, anymore. It is now a battle between California egg producers and egg producers in all the other states.

Would be kinda like if California banned foothold traps, so the AR groups and California trappers teamed up to ban foothold traps in all the other states.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:45 PM

In other words, this isn't a battle between AR groups and egg producers, anymore. It is now a battle between California egg producers and egg producers in all the other states.

I guess they are now in a position where they know they aren't going to get those Government subsidies you saw coming Buckne. Now they are trying to stave off bankruptcy as they are the ones that have no farms if they don't try to keep ahead of the RULES set up by the ARA groups.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:47 PM

Mira, after rereading the article, it became apparent that the issue isn't Proposition 2. That has already passed. The issue is California egg producers trying to pass this new legislation to apply Proposition 2 standards to the rest of the country so they can compete.

And frankly, if the California egg producers are trying to apply the Prop. 2 standards to the rest of the country, I hope they DO fail

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:51 PM

How do you feel about the guy who represented H$U$ in Connecticut in trying to ban leg hold traps and push for his type of expertise built on falsehoods? He did it for his reasons & personal gain but the Connecticut trappers are left holding the bag. The ARA would not have gained the ground they did in California if all animal use orgs were more aligned to each other and had formed alliances to turn back H$U$ propaganda. .

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:55 PM

Mira, after rereading the article, it became apparent that the issue isn't Proposition 2. That has already passed. The issue is California egg producers trying to pass this new legislation to apply Proposition 2 standards to the rest of the country so they can compete.

And frankly, if the California egg producers are trying to apply the Prop. 2 standards to the rest of the country, I hope they DO fail

They fail and they loose a multi million dollar industry because H$U$ put the first knife into their back. They need time to get their house in order and H$U$ actions in other states to make it apparent that society can not survive on animal rights monetary crucifixion of such markets. With time those California farmers will be able to hold the fort till the general public starts seeing the real costs of allowing idiots to rule the roost.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:55 PM

Mira, I agree 100%. But IN THIS CASE, concerning THIS legislation, it is an issue of AR groups and California egg producers teaming up to force Prop. 2 standards on the rest of the country. I'll support egg producers in other states fighting this legislation, but I will NOT support this new team of HSUS and California egg producers.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:58 PM

Mira, I agree 100%. But IN THIS CASE, concerning THIS legislation, it is an issue of AR groups and California egg producers teaming up to force Prop. 2 standards on the rest of the country. I'll support egg producers in other states fighting this legislation, but I will NOT support this new team of HSUS and California egg producers.

Thank you for your input Buckne. By the two of us having this discussion it allows others to get a better grasp of just why we MUST become more proactive in extending our olive branch to other animal use people.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 02:58 PM

Mira, the California egg producers are not the heros in this battle. They are the villains. They sponsored the legislation you and I are so against.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 03:54 PM

Mira, the California egg producers are not the heros in this battle. They are the villains. They sponsored the legislation you and I are so against.

That statement would be wrong Buckne. In fact the farmers fought the Prop 2 propsal which was primarily forced upon them by H$U$. They are now trying to buy time with this new proposal in the hopes of staving off the losses to their economy long enough for other states to come to the realization that the public can not afford twenty dollar a dozen eggs.

http://www.uslaw.com/library/Media_&...php?item=269548

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jul2008/2008-07-31-093.asp

http://thebatavian.com/blogs/philipansel...e-vigilant/3577

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:QXahLcF-SokJ:magissues.farmprogress.com/WAL/WF08Aug06/wal05.pdf+Florida+farmers+new+confinement+laws&cd=20&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=firefox-a

Actually these farmers are in the same boat as the states that have had trapping banned. They are hoping we can hold things together long enough to see legislators turn back anti-trapping bans.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 06:09 PM

Quote:
That statement would be wrong Buckne.

And exactly HOW would that statement be wrong? Did the egg producers in California, or did they not, start this legislation to spread the Prop. 2 standards to other states? According to the article you posted, they did. And according to the article you posted, both HSUS and the California egg producers are now working to get the legislation passed to spread Prop. 2 standards to other states.

It's like if the California trappers, having had footholds banned in California, decided to work to have footholds banned in every other state so they could compete. Would you support California trappers if that had happened? No? I didn't think so. So why are you supporting California egg producers, now?

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 06:20 PM

By the way, Mira, in your second post on this thread, you indicated you are opposed to this legislation. And you seemed to think that HSUS was trying to push their agenda on the other states outside California. Until I pointed out to you that HSUS didn't start this legislation, the California egg producers did, according to the article you posted. Now you seem to be SUPPORTING the legislation.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 08:44 PM

I don't know how you could be so confused by my point of view. I have been quite clear about it. (1) the farmers should be in control of raising their livestock and not have people passing legislation such as prop 2. However Prop two was passed and now California farmers are trying to buy time so that they can prevent the loss of their market niche. They didn't ask for this problem and now that they have it they might just be trying to get other people to start fighting against the legislation in other states by making them face the same idiot laws as they are facing. That attempt might just motivate other farm bureaus into action. In fact I have had other trappers on this board who belong to other states & are involved in Agriculture contact me on THIS forum wanting to know how to use ARA previous actions against them. Prop two is such a lightening rod and now the second phase isn't necessarily a goal of condemning other farm boards as much as getting them to face the same silly laws as California so those other states will help get federal action over the next few years to protect all farmers from the ARA lunacy.

I am definitely opposed to having ARA call the shots and have farmers pigeon holed by Prop 2. However , I am also quite understanding of why those same farmers are trying to protect their farms from bankruptcy or unfair marketing from outside their state. This issue must become a loss for ARA and interstate commerce might be a wedge that California farmers might apply in order to make Feds and other states more PRO-ACTIVE against such lunatic ARA policy. HSUS definitely did cause this proposition because they initiated prop two and the California farmers are now trying to protect themselves from total loss of market.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 08:54 PM

Mira, your post

Quote:
Trouble is that now that they have gained the upper hand in California they are trying to push their nonsense upon all agriculture throughout all of the pork,veal & chicken markets. Also must note that Florida also bent to the pressure with hen cages and farrowing crate issues. California was just an easier target to begin with.

indicated to me that you were opposed to the bill.

Now you appear to support the bill, hoping it will force egg producers in other states to fight the restrictions.

Now, after reading the article ONCE AGAIN, I can find nothing that supports your suggestion that the bill is aimed at drawing support from farmers in other states. On the contrary, every quote by every legislator mentioned in the article clearly states that the purpose of the bill is to impose the same restrictions on the other states in order to make their ability to produce eggs as restrictive as California's, suggesting that the goal is to RAISE the production costs of the other states so that California egg producers can compete. They state that very plainly.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/17/09 09:22 PM

Mira, the bottom line is, before Prop. 2 goes into effect, the government will supply the egg producers with subsidies to cover the costs of the new regulations.

Right now, with no government subsidies and no new legislation, the egg farms in California would fold. The egg producers in Oregon and Nevada would have huge new markets. But the price of eggs to the consumer wouldn't change much.

But, with the proposed legislation, Oregon and Nevada egg producers' costs to produce eggs would also increase, driving up the price of eggs to the consumer in California. And the egg farmers in California know that.

They also know that the government isn't going to let the price of eggs sky rocket, which means more government subsidies.

So, the best way to assure government subsidies to the egg farmers in California is to create a situation where the costs would go up without the subsidies. And that situation is the proposed legislation that you posted about.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 12:57 PM

You guys can argue about this all you want, the bottomline is that the egg producers in California see cheaper eggs coming in to compete with the market and these imported eggs don't have to adhere to the same standards that the local producers do.

My question is why wouldn't the local producers be well within their rights to hold the out of state eggs to the same standards? The voters approved the proposition in the first place creating the unfair standards, it only makes sense for the California producers to say "Hey wait a minute, these guys are importing eggs that don't have to meet the same standards as I do."

Make the voters pay for their decision or make for fair markets. Its the same thing. The era of cheap food is coming to an end partially due to the AR movement.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 01:01 PM

Latrans, the voters won't pay for their decision. Nancy Pelosi and the 53 California congressmen in Washington will see to that by just giving out subsidies to the egg producers.
Posted By: arctichomestead

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 01:59 PM

You guys can argue about this all you want, the bottomline is that the egg producers in California see cheaper eggs coming in to compete with the market and these imported eggs don't have to adhere to the same standards that the local producers do.

My question is why wouldn't the local producers be well within their rights to hold the out of state eggs to the same standards? The voters approved the proposition in the first place creating the unfair standards, it only makes sense for the California producers to say "Hey wait a minute, these guys are importing eggs that don't have to meet the same standards as I do."

Make the voters pay for their decision or make for fair markets. Its the same thing. The era of cheap food is coming to an end partially due to the AR movement.

Because CA voters should have no say over other states' internal affairs. And furthermore, that is precisely what the HSUS was going for with this, you'd be playing right into their hands...

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 02:00 PM

You keep saying that about subsidies but you have yet to make anything but the words work for you. In fact California can not afford to pay for their essential services and are facing major cut backs in those areas. I doubt very much that you have anything but a hunch going for you with regards to subsidies.In fact ,if the egg market in California had that grantee they wouldn't be trying this extreme measure. And if you think the feds are going to bail out the mistakes of Prop 2 you are taking a major leap in faith. Nancy Pelosie is in enough trouble already and will face major personal hurls as it become more obvious she lied to congress about what she knew about Gitmo and interrogation procedures.

My point of view is being misconstrued by you over and over again Buckne. I have stated several times that Prop 2 brought the farmers of California to this juncture . Thus they are now doing exactly what Latrans noted. My point is that we trappers would be better helped by such folks as the farmers by helping them. It doesn't help to blame the farmers now because they lost on prop 2. Making claims that the best solution is to allow these farmers to go down the tubes because idiots decided they know how to raise animals better then the folks who are actually raising animals and that baking a cake means breaking a few eggs is a cold comfort to the farmers who face farm bankruptcy because of laws they never asked for. If you understood what I have offered to this thread it isn't that hard to see I didn't agree with prop 2 but understand why prop 2 led to the farmers of California trying to force the issue in California upon all states. By making all state egg markets take note of just how H$U$ plan will effect every state in asking that all eggs sold in California they are trying to force Feds & other states roll back H$US driven farm laws. California , New Jersey & Florida are easy targets for HSUS one at a time and were won by H$U$. However, if H$U$ faces the combined efforts of Feds and the other states they will lose. Sometimes it is better to try to get public debate pushed across 51 states then be facing prop 2 actions in three. Thus California egg producers might just buy enough time to save their farms by having Feds class such laws as prop 2 as a threat to America`s food supply which they are... By forcing the issue now California egg producers will get other states to start taking on H$U$ at a state and federal level. If they do it any other way they will lose their California farms and the hypocrites will buy cheaper eggs from outside the state . The majority of those prop 2 supporters will be buying out of state eggs. They will take the cheaper option . Kinda like the person munching a t-bone steak and declaring, I could never kill a cow myself.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 02:01 PM

Upstate, no matter what happens, whether this legislation passes or doesn't pass, whether other states ship eggs into California or don't ship, it won't make a hill of beans to the price of eggs. The politicians will do what they always do...dole out money to make sure stupid people are protected from their own stupid decisions.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: arctichomestead

Because CA voters should have no say over other states' internal affairs. And furthermore, that is precisely what the HSUS was going for with this, you'd be playing right into their hands...

I don`t see it that way. Right now H$U$ is trying to isolate Ohio and New York to get the same prop 2 legislation. One peg at a time works for them. However if the threat of prop 2 hits every state at the same time the fish becomes to big for H$U$ to land. It also would become a major problem for the feds to as this legislation will make people more aware of just how rising food costs can be linked right back to Prop 2 laws. Politically , California egg producers are forcing the issue in the hopes that the consumers of north America wake up. Our job should be to point at California in each province & state and tell our politicians to stop pushing prop two type ballot initiatives at the bequest of H$U$. If California farmers win this and get interstate commerce involved because food prices are going to become more costly they could win this by forcing the issue NOW. With the proper pressure from other states and consumers that regard prop 2 as idiotic meddling by folks crippling farmers one state at a time the Feds may have to find a way of canceling all prop 2 legislation because it threatens America``s meat production.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 02:30 PM

Mira, I think you give the California egg producers waaaaaay too much credit by suggesting they are trying to force this legislation to instigate some kind of national revolt.

No, this is about making sure they aren't undercut, pure and simple.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 02:33 PM

Oh, and Mira, with Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House, and 53 of the 435 Congressmen in the House being from California, the state of California won't have to pay for the subsidies. They'll slip it into a bill in Washington, DC.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 09:50 PM

Originally Posted By: upstateNY
I thought all them Californians were vegetarian yuppies anyway.Or doesnt eggs count as meat ??

No, we just grow the food that this nation eats. California is the single largest producer of just about every agricultural commodity you can name. If California Agriculture fails, this entire nation goes hungry.
Posted By: Bob Evans,-CWCP

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 11:00 PM

No Way! If Cal falls we can get it from Mexico or China.
bob

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 11:26 PM

Latrans, don't kid yourself. You have any idea how much of our agricultural commodities is shipped overseas? Do you have any idea how much land is idled?

Don't believe for a second the rest of the country would starve without California's agriculture.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 11:31 PM

In an interstate trade war, Georgia could bring Californian's to their knees simply by stopping the shipments of Zig Zags.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/18/09 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: upstateNY
I thought all them Californians were vegetarian yuppies anyway.Or doesnt eggs count as meat ??

No, we just grow the food that this nation eats. California is the single largest producer of just about every agricultural commodity you can name. If California Agriculture fails, this entire nation goes hungry.

Apparently you have been smoking some of that Cali. commodity.

California is a lot like Maryland. I don't think anybody would miss either one!

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/19/09 12:00 AM

Just check the agricultural statistics for yourself: http://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_S...2007cas-ovw.pdf

California is number one in all agricultural commodities including eggs, wisenheimers.

... and I for one look where my produce comes from, if its not grown in the US, I don't buy it. I can gaurantee that most countries, especially China don't follow our basic standards, or have you forgotten what melamine is?

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/19/09 12:01 AM

Sure, it is number one. But that doesn't mean the rest of the country would starve without it. Since it has the largest population by far, it could barely be producing enough to feed itself and still be number one.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/19/09 12:08 AM

Take a look in your pantry or the shelves of your grocery store next time and see where all that food comes from.

Crop and Livestock Commodities in which California Leads the Nation:

Almonds Eggplant Lettuce, Romaine Pistachios Apricots Escarole/Endive Melons, Cantaloupe Plums Artichokes Figs Melons, Honeydew Plums, Dried Asparagus Flowers, Bulbs Milk Pomegranates Avocados Flowers, Cut Milk Goats Raspberries Beans, Dry Baby Lima Flowers, Potted Plants Nectarines Rice, Sweet Beans, Dry Large Lima Garlic Nursery, Bedding Plants Safflower Beans, Green Lima Grapes, Raisins Nursery Crops Seed, Alfalfa Bedding/Garden Plants Grapes, Table Olives Seed, Bermuda Grass Broccoli Grapes, Wine Onions, Dry Seed, Ladino Clover Brussels Sprouts Greens, Mustard Onions, Green Seed, Sudan Grass Cabbage, Chinese Hay, Alfalfa Parsley Seed, Vegetable and Flower Cabbage, Fresh Market Herbs Passion Fruit Spinach Carrots Jojoba Peaches, Clingstone Strawberries Cauliflower Kale Peaches, Freestone Tomatoes, Processing Celery Kiwifruit Pears, Bartlett Turnips Chicory Kumquats Peas, Chinese Vegetables, Greenhouse Cotton, American Pima Lemons Peppers, Bell Vegetables, Oriental Daikon Lettuce, Head Persimmons Walnuts

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/19/09 12:10 AM

Oh, and contrary to your claim, there are MANY agricultural commodities that California doesn't lead in; including cattle, chickens, hogs, wheat, and corn. All you guys seem to raise are vegetables. No wonder so many of you are vegans.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/19/09 01:35 AM

Oh, and Mira, with Nancy Pelosi as Speaker of the House, and 53 of the 435 Congressmen in the House being from California, the state of California won't have to pay for the subsidies. They'll slip it into a bill in Washington, DC.

You keep making that claim but it only a poorly conceived hunch on your behalf. In fact the Californian farmers would be crazy to fight for interstate trade barriers if they could just sit and wait for Feds to subsidize them. Those Californian farmers know no such subsidies are about to be offered . If they suspected they were to be offered they would just sit back and wait for them.

The Grand Rapids Press
> Michigan farmers to face off with Humane Society activists over animal
> care legislation
> by Monica Scott
> Tuesday July 28, 2009, 1:43 PM
> http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2009/07/michigan_farmers_prepared_to_f.html
>
> In a battle forming over proposed state standards for farm animal
> treatment, farmers and agribusiness leaders are supporting the
> proposals -- and squaring off against animal activists who oppose
> them.
>
> A bruising 2010 ballot initiative campaign could be on the horizon,
> led by the Humane Society of the United States. Representatives of
> that group say the proposed bills, which could be voted on in the
> House Agricultural Committee this week, don't address their concerns
> about tight confinement methods, such as battery cages for poultry.
>
> The group is fresh off a victory in California in which voters
> overwhelmingly approved measures that give chickens, pigs and calves
> in crates and cages more room. Farmers there have until 2015 to change
> their housing systems.

>
> State Rep. Mike Simpson, D-Jackson, one of the sponsors of the
> Michigan bills, said the California initiative highlighted the lack of
> mandatory standards here, which makes the state vulnerable to outside
> groups.
>
> "With this legislation, we can prove farmers are doing it right," he
> said. "We can find the bad actors and weed them out. We don't need
> outside folks coming into the state."
>
> The legislation -- companion bills are in the Senate -- establishes
> animal-care guidelines to be fully implemented in 2020, third-party
> auditing, a certification program and an animal care advisory council.
>
> The 10-member council would make recommendations to the state
> Department of Agriculture and the Commission on Agriculture on changes
> to the standards every five years. The department and commission would
> have sole authority to regulate livestock health and welfare.
>
> But Jill Fritz, Michigan state director for the Humane Society of the
> United States, said agribusiness interests would dominate the advisory
> council. She also said that adopting current industry standards would
> mean allowing extreme confinement systems -- such as gestation crates,
> veal crates and battery cages.
>
> For example, on average, each caged laying hen is afforded 67 square
> inches of cage. HSUS wants the industry to move to a cage-free system
> that allows at least 1.5 square feet of barn space.
>
> "Those methods of confinement do not allow animals the most basic
> movements, such as the ability to turn around and stretch their
> limbs," she said. "That is an inhumane way to raise animals. These are
> modest reforms we are requesting."
>
> The Humane Society of the United States, which is not affiliated with
> state or local agencies, is considering ballot initiatives in Michigan
> and Ohio. Last month, Ohio lawmakers approved resolutions to create a
> 13-member board to oversee animal treatment, and residents there will
> vote on a constitution amendment. The action, prompted by California's
> vote, is seen as a preemptive strike. But HSUS representatives say
> they have gotten positive feedback from a poll of likely voters in
> both states.
>
> Merle Langeland, president of the Ottawa County Farm Bureau and
> co-owner of Langeland Farms in Coopersville, said that if there is a
> ballot showdown, there is a compelling argument to be made about how
> the cost of the measures for agriculture, a $71.3 billion industry in
> the state, would be passed down through higher food prices.
>
> "When you have outside groups calling the shots -- in any industry --
> it's a recipe for disaster," said Langeland, whose 2,700-acre farm
> raises dairy cows and poultry. "I hope that the general public feels
> the legislation, if passed, puts in place enough controls for the care
> of animals."
>
> The Michigan Humane Society has not taken a formal position on the
> legislation but has raised some concerns. Representatives of the group
> opposed the adoption of industry guidelines, some of which were
> written earlier this decade.
>
> "By delaying their full implementation until 2020, and prohibiting
> their review until 2025, the bill would effectively eliminate
> consideration of new and developing practices in animal culture over
> the next 16 years," Cal Morgan, the Michigan Humane Society's
> president and chief executive officer, wrote Simpson last month.
>
> Animal activists have an ally in the Michigan Township Association,
> which opposes the proposed measure because it preempts local control.
> But Sen. Wayne Kuipers, R-Holland and a bill sponsor, said many
> farmers have fields in different municipalities, so the proposal would
> give them one standard to follow.
>
> FACT SHEET
> The Michigan Legislature is considering two bills regulating animal
> care. If approved, they would:
>
> • Give the state Department of Agriculture and the Commission on
> Agriculture sole authority to regulate livestock health and welfare.
>
> • Adopt guidelines developed by national groups that farmers would
> have to comply to by July 1, 2020.
>
> • Create a 10-member advisory council, appointed by the director of
> the state Department of Agriculture. Council members could make
> recommendations to change specific science-based animal standards
> every five years.
>
> • Forbid a local unit of government from enforcing any ordinance
> involving animal care standards regarding livestock.
>
> • Require a system of third-party auditors to certify whether farms
> are complying with animal guidelines; the state would set fees to be
> paid.
>
> Source: House Fiscal Agency

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/19/09 02:28 AM

Actually, they know that if the trade barriers are in place, which is the only way the egg prices will actually increase, then they are guaranteed the subsidies. If out-of-state egg producers are allowed to sell in California without the restrictions, then the egg prices aren't likely to change much, and they aren't as likely to get their subsidies.

Restrictions on importing eggs from out of state and raising the egg costs is the only way to guarantee the subsidies.

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/19/09 04:20 PM

Take a look in your pantry or the shelves of your grocery store next time and see where all that food comes from.

Crop and Livestock Commodities in which California Leads the Nation:

Almonds Eggplant Lettuce, Romaine Pistachios Apricots Escarole/Endive Melons, Cantaloupe Plums Artichokes Figs Melons, Honeydew Plums, Dried Asparagus Flowers, Bulbs Milk Pomegranates Avocados Flowers, Cut Milk Goats Raspberries Beans, Dry Baby Lima Flowers, Potted Plants Nectarines Rice, Sweet Beans, Dry Large Lima Garlic Nursery, Bedding Plants Safflower Beans, Green Lima Grapes, Raisins Nursery Crops Seed, Alfalfa Bedding/Garden Plants Grapes, Table Olives Seed, Bermuda Grass Broccoli Grapes, Wine Onions, Dry Seed, Ladino Clover Brussels Sprouts Greens, Mustard Onions, Green Seed, Sudan Grass Cabbage, Chinese Hay, Alfalfa Parsley Seed, Vegetable and Flower Cabbage, Fresh Market Herbs Passion Fruit Spinach Carrots Jojoba Peaches, Clingstone Strawberries Cauliflower Kale Peaches, Freestone Tomatoes, Processing Celery Kiwifruit Pears, Bartlett Turnips Chicory Kumquats Peas, Chinese Vegetables, Greenhouse Cotton, American Pima Lemons Peppers, Bell Vegetables, Oriental Daikon Lettuce, Head Persimmons Walnuts

Who eats this stuff?

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/20/09 02:47 AM

Drovers Magazine
Another domino falls to HSUS
By Drovers news source
Thursday, May 14, 2009
http://www.drovers.com/news_editorial.asp?pgID=675&ed_id=5478

Maine Governor John Baldacci signed landmark legislation Wednesday
that will prohibit gestation crates and veal crates in his state. LD
1021 becomes effective Jan. 1, 2011, and was sponsored by Sen. John
Nutting (D-Androscoggin County), senate chair of the Agriculture,
Conservation and Forestry Committee. It passed the committee and both
chambers unanimously. The Humane Society of the United States strongly
backed the legislation.

With the passage of this legislation, Maine becomes the sixth state to
pass such legislation. Last November Californians passed The
Prevention of Farm Animal Cruelty Act by a ballot initiative.
Previously, Colorado, Florida, Arizona and Oregon passed similar
reforms.
__._,_.___

Re: Eggs are going top increase in Price. - 05/21/09 02:06 AM

OH farmers preparing for legislative battle with HSUS (AP)‏

Sent: May 20, 2009 3:53:14 PM

Dayton Daily Press (OH)
Humane Society: Give Ohio farm animals some space
By The Associated Press
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/ohio...ace-125670.html

CINCINNATI — The Ohio farm lobby and the Humane Society of the United
States are girding for a fight over the confinement of farm animals,
with the Washington-based society saying it is confident voters will
side with animals and farmers saying the group's real goal is to
reduce consumption of animal products.

The Humane Society met with Ohio Farm Bureau Federation leaders, the
Ohio Cattlemen's Association, the Ohio Pork Producers Council and the
Ohio Poultry Association in February to deliver this message: Ohio
farmers must agree to change their animal husbandry practices or have
the practices changed for them via the ballot box.

"When we met with those industry leaders, we suggested we come to a
meeting of the minds with a plan to phase out confinement systems in
the state," Humane Society president Wayne Pacelle said Tuesday. "My
suggestion to agricultural leaders in Ohio was not to squander money
on a campaign that was likely to fail."

The Humane Society has three main initiatives involving farm animals.
It wants to ban gestation crates that allow little movement for sows
giving birth, cages smaller than an 8-inch-by-11-inch sheet of paper
for laying hens, and stalls that prevent veal calves from moving
around.

"We just think that's inhumane and wrong, and that animals raised for
food deserve humane treatment," Pacelle said.

The farm bureau has served notice that it is not going to roll over.

"They make what sound like simple demands regarding animals when in
reality their true goal is to give animals status equal to humans,"
said Jack Fisher, executive vice president of the Ohio Farm Bureau
Federation.

The federation sounded a fundraising alarm on its Web site last week.
And in its newsletter, the organization asks if the Humane Society is
making an honest attempt to improve animal care, "or is it part of a
broader effort to disrupt livestock farms, artificially drive up the
cost of animal products and restrict consumer choice?"

Pacelle said public sentiment is on the side of the Humane Society,
which has 11 million members and is the nation's largest
animal-protection organization.

He noted that Maine's governor last week signed legislation banning
crates and cages that cramp breeding pigs and veal calves, beginning
in January 2011. The Humane Society also got easy wins in Oregon and
Colorado, where industry leaders went along with proposed changes. It
also won ballot initiatives in Florida, Arizona and California, where
the public sided with the Humane Society "overwhelmingly, in the 70
percent range," Pacelle said.

"We've done our own polling in Ohio and found it very similar to
California, he said.

He said the society hopes "responsible members of the agriculture
community will realize it's in their best interest" to compromise. "If
we can't reach an accommodation, we'll do what's necessary to qualify
a ballot initiative in fall 2010 election," he said.

The Ohio Farm Bureau Federation, which has more than 230,000 members
and lobbies for the state's farmers and farming interests,
characterizes the Humane Society as driven by a vegan philosophy that
"often uses images of sad-eyed puppies to solicit donations from
well-meaning individuals."

"We respect their passion for these particular issues," said Keith
Stimpert, the federation's senior vice president of public policy.
"Unfortunately, making these decisions at the ballot box is a very
poor approach."

He said the farm bureau was starting a new Center for Food and Animal
Issues that would focus on "the whole gamut of animals' role in
society." The center will raise money and be the federation's voice in
the public debate on farm animal welfare issues.
___

On the Net:

Ohio Farm Bureau Federation: http://www.ofbf.org
Humane Society of the United States: http://www.hsus.org
© 2024 Trapperman Forums