Home

How long can you keep a skinned beaver?

Posted By: Black dogs

How long can you keep a skinned beaver? - 03/27/24 06:05 PM

How long can a guy leave a skinned thawed beaver hide say in the fridge before fleshing and boarding?
Posted By: kytrapper

Re: How long can you keep a skinned beaver? - 03/27/24 06:51 PM

When they start looking shiny, slimy and smelling funky.
Posted By: Terrence j

Re: How long can you keep a skinned beaver? - 03/27/24 08:17 PM

I never keep them longer than 3 days and sometimes thats almost too long. The key is to make sure they are super dry on the fur side before putting them in the refrigerator.
Posted By: Boco

Re: How long can you keep a skinned beaver? - 03/27/24 08:21 PM

I would say 5 to 7 days,but that is a guess because I have never left them sit in the cold room that long.
Beaver keep longer than other pelts.
I have kept them in the cold room for 4 days after skinning.Just make sure they are folded leather to leather.If any skin is exposed it will dry in the cold room or fridge.
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: How long can you keep a skinned beaver? - 03/28/24 03:36 AM

5-6 days is about right. Through necessity I've done that many times. Dry fur side helps a lot. It also depends on how many days the beaver sat before you skinned it. Can't have a beaver sit at above freezing temps for 5-6 days skin it, and then another 5-6 days with pelt in the fridge.
Posted By: Black dogs

Re: How long can you keep a skinned beaver? - 03/28/24 09:45 AM

Gotcha. This was more like laid them out from being froze on the table for awhile then finished letting them thaw in the shop fridge. Something came up where I couldn’t get to them as planned. When the were skinned it was the same day as collection and put right into the freezer
© 2024 Trapperman Forums