Home

FHA’s Beaver results

Posted By: CountryCletus

FHA’s Beaver results - 03/23/24 02:56 PM

Well, I really screwed the pooch on this one. Had the FHA catalog all printed out and ready to go for the beaver auction…. Went to bed early and woke up late, which never happens. Just a perfect storm, I guess. Some buddies and I did a week long beaver trapping line in some remote locations in NWPA and by the end of it, I was whooped- both tired and physically exhausted. I suppose I didn’t realize just how whooped I was since I had having such a good time, but hey- today is recovery and catch up day since we pulled the line yesterday.

Did anyone happen to watch the beaver portion of the FHA auction and write down the results by lot? If so, I’d like to chat and see if I can get those numbers, please.

Thanks!!
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/23/24 02:59 PM

Just checked the beaver I had there and am happy with the prices. Didn't look at all the lots though.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/23/24 03:18 PM

You can go to the live you tube stream and back it up and watch the beaver lot by lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KORVJjMgXsQ

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/23/24 04:48 PM

Thank you so much!!! I just watch it and got it all!
Posted By: beaverpeeler

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/24/24 06:27 PM

I tried to catch the beaver show right now but it doesn't go back that far. Any idea on how the DMG blankets did? Last year they were right at $40
Posted By: Squash

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/24/24 08:16 PM

My 3X2X SLT DGD XDK-BRN $44

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/24/24 10:35 PM

Anybody see section III blanket prices?

(Thanks squash for your report...that ain't too bad).

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/25/24 04:56 PM

When I get home I'll look, I have them all written down. The damaged did significantly worse than last year, if i remember correctly
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/25/24 05:53 PM

What size was that top lot black one? That went for $80.00!

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/25/24 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by James Peterson

They had 2 lots that totaled 13 beavers in the top lot. 3x-2x Eastern Black.

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/25/24 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by beaverpeeler
Anybody see section III blanket prices?

(Thanks squash for your report...that ain't too bad).

First 2 lots of 3x-2x GD DGD went for $25, then the rest went for $32 and $33….

1x GD DGD- $29
LG GD DGD- 6 lots at $26, 29 lots at $30
LM- GD DGD, all at $24
MD- GD DGD all at $17.50
SM- GD DGD all at $7
XS- GD DGD all at $6
Posted By: Squash

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/25/24 08:16 PM

Yes, big difference between SLT DGD and GD DGD. I didn’t have any GD DGD all my DGD were SLT DGD or GD SLT.
Posted By: James Peterson

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/25/24 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by CountryCletus
Originally Posted by James Peterson

They had 2 lots that totaled 13 beavers in the top lot. 3x-2x Eastern Black.

Thanks Countrycletus

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/25/24 10:10 PM

Can someone explain to me the difference between GD SLT, SLT DGD, and GD DGD? Trying to get a feel for what I have. Local buyer is paying $15/lb for put up beaver.

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/25/24 10:16 PM

The first two are pelts with minor damage, gd slt being the better of the two. GD DMG is section III or what we used to called hatters. Currently the worst grade offered at FHA.

$15 is lower than what I've been hearing for country buyers. Was he higher earlier?

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/26/24 12:50 AM

He was at $15 last year and said he was the same this year.

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/26/24 01:35 AM

Not sure where things stand now but I've been hearing $17-20 in the country a few weeks ago.
Posted By: Foxlaketrapper

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/26/24 05:26 AM

I was at 18 but have dropped to 17 on good pelts damaged pelts am at 16 still decent money money on them. Our beaver are almost always felters. Have only sold a few that were sold as shearing beaver. Don't hate the furbuyer as most of us just cover our expenses with a 5 to 8 percent profit margin. I only buy fur because of my up and coming fur trappers.
Posted By: Boco

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/26/24 06:23 AM

The auction report stated that the top priced upper end beavers all went to the garment trade this sale.
Dont limit yourself with a poor put up if you have good quality beaver section.

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/26/24 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by Foxlaketrapper
I was at 18 but have dropped to 17 on good pelts damaged pelts am at 16 still decent money money on them. Our beaver are almost always felters. Have only sold a few that were sold as shearing beaver. Don't hate the furbuyer as most of us just cover our expenses with a 5 to 8 percent profit margin. I only buy fur because of my up and coming fur trappers.

I’m certainly not hating on the fur buyers. I have a pretty good relationship with my local guy, but over never sent to auction and it seems to me to be the way to go currently.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/26/24 11:19 AM

Not sure where things stand now but I've been hearing $17-20 in the country a few weeks ago.

is that per lb or for the total hide? i
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/26/24 11:38 AM

Can someone explain to me the difference between GD SLT, SLT DGD, and GD DGD? Trying to get a feel for what I have. Local buyer is paying $15/lb for put up beaver.

SLT and GD DGD are usually top grade hides with imperfections or damages. As you shuffle down the DGD grades, the damage is worse or into #2 grade hides.

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/26/24 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB

is that per lb or for the total hide? i

We're talking per lb.

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/26/24 04:50 PM

Sniper, currently "gd dmg" is the lowest grade offered at FHA.

This pelt graded "gd dmg" for me last spring:

[Linked Image]

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/26/24 06:39 PM

pretty good damage allright.
Posted By: mud

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/26/24 09:56 PM

BP deals with what I deal with somewhat.. tide. You can get em out away from the catch site but if it’s a tidal spot, that ain’t always enough. Whole tax ditches here can go dry on a blow out tide. Postmortem damage can sometimes be unavoidable.

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/26/24 10:59 PM

That, and sometimes they just hang up on something and don't get deep. Since I'm using castor at mudpie spots invariably other beaver will get there before I do.
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/27/24 11:25 AM

I had one under the ice with a freshly damaged tail, a nick on the face and a damaged foot but fur is fine. All fresh. Think there’s only one family on this bigger pond but there’s another big active house on the adjacent pond. Thinking rats, otter would’ve done more damage?
Posted By: Shakeyjake

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/27/24 11:30 AM

Someone was asking about grades on FB and looks like FHA is updating their fur handling and grading terminology info.

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/27/24 04:24 PM

I think Boco had mentioned earlier he was hearing that the higher end goods would advance and the hatter stuff cool off a little. That appears to be exactly what happened on this sale. The felt buyers not quite as desperate as last year, but the felt market helping to push up the shearable prices a little.

Last May i got $40 for my gd dmg blankets and only $46 for a hvy select blanket. On this sale it looks like the XXL-XXXL gd dmg were in the $29-33 range and select hvy blankets over $50

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/27/24 11:16 PM

The report said all the higher end beaver went to the garment market.
I guess they didnt want to lose out to the hatter market like they did last year.
That looks good for any winter beaver trappers going forward.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/30/24 08:34 PM

I think slipping all those not hevi semi hevi hides into the gd damaged grade last year had the resulting drop in price this year for gd damaged.

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/30/24 09:32 PM

I figured all along that the bean counters at those felt companies would make sure they weren't getting taken on the lightweight goods. Also figuring in the disproportionate buyer fees at FHA on lesser goods.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: FHA’s Beaver results - 03/30/24 10:30 PM

Yes. You did.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums