Home

Buckets sets

Posted By: Jingles

Buckets sets - 03/01/24 03:12 PM

OK have watched to many to count videos about bucket sets using conibears and am thinking of adding some to my arsenal however, either Bridger 330's and 280's magnums are larger than other brands or the 5 gal buckets are smaller because there is no way they even come close to being able to fit inside even with notching the sides of the bucket. The trap itself is larger than the opening of the bucket. Contemplating using the 12 gal nursery pots.
Curious what others use
Thanks In Advance for your responses and advice
Posted By: bowhunterks

Re: Buckets sets - 03/01/24 04:22 PM

Check your state's regulations on body grip traps, in some
states the 330s have to be submerged in water. Not sure
about the 280s.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Buckets sets - 03/01/24 04:39 PM

Every state is different. In PA our coni-box traps have to be 6.5 x 6.5 or smaller. Any body trap bigger than that must be confined to a watercourse
Posted By: turkn8rtrapper

Re: Buckets sets - 03/01/24 07:07 PM

I thought most folks used 220s or 160s in buckets but I don’t use a lot of conibears
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Buckets sets - 03/02/24 12:33 AM

If you know anyone that shows cattle, the Purina 30lb supplement buckets fit a 280 perfectly.
Posted By: Muskratwalt

Re: Buckets sets - 03/02/24 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jingles
OK have watched to many to count videos about bucket sets using conibears and am thinking of adding some to my arsenal however, either Bridger 330's and 280's magnums are larger than other brands or the 5 gal buckets are smaller because there is no way they even come close to being able to fit inside even with notching the sides of the bucket. The trap itself is larger than the opening of the bucket. Contemplating using the 12 gal nursery pots.
Curious what others use

What animals are you targeting?

Re: Buckets sets - 03/02/24 01:03 AM

If it comes to it, a cheap plastic waste basket may work if right size.
Or scrap wood/lumber can be found or bought cheap to make a box

Re: Buckets sets - 03/02/24 02:07 AM

Have also seen a trapper use some plastic culvert pipe as coni-container

Re: Buckets sets - 03/02/24 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Muskratwalt
Originally Posted by Jingles
Curious what others use

What animals are you targeting?

Open Water (lake) otters
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Buckets sets - 03/02/24 12:57 PM

220s are a better trap for my money. Caught more otters in them than 330s or 280s. They will fit in a 5 gal buckets.
Posted By: SundanceMtnMan

Re: Buckets sets - 03/02/24 04:23 PM

I thought Washington was cage trapping only.

Re: Buckets sets - 03/04/24 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by SundanceMtnMan
I thought Washington was cage trapping only.

For "recreational" trapping it is however in doing WCO work special permits are an available tool.
Posted By: Vinke

Re: Buckets sets - 03/10/24 09:13 AM

Square buckets,,,,, i think they are a waste of time for otter
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Buckets sets - 03/11/24 01:52 AM

This was brought up a while ago on here. 220 in a bucket attached to a dock leg on the bottom of the lake is what they were saying for a set for otter.
Posted By: Tommyran

Re: Buckets sets - 03/15/24 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by turkn8rtrapper
I thought most folks used 220s or 160s in buckets but I don’t use a lot of conibears

Yup. I use 160s. In most videos I have seen the people use 220s though. 160s work fine though for me. Even for raccoons.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Buckets sets - 03/15/24 08:51 PM

12" C900 pipe & 220s, hang decoy Fish (large rubber fishing lure) in center

Posted By: cat_trapper_nv

Re: Buckets sets - 03/16/24 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by Hern
12" C900 pipe & 220s, hang decoy Fish (large rubber fishing lure) in center

I'm curious if the fish decoy is what's attracting them or just the thought of swimming thru this random pipe is what's attracting them. I know otters like to play, and maybe that's what's draws them. You should try setting some with no decoy just to see if they still work. Either way, that's an awesome way to catch them. I trappered otters while going to school in Idaho and wish we had some down here to catch.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums